Pre-match: Hex Match 1: Feb 6 USA @ Honduras

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Big Chil in Denver, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Omar Gonzalez@Omar4Gonzalez
    Im going, going, back, back to Cali w/ @ajd_20 http://vine.co/v/bJ0r7LB0wUK

I'm not sure whether this is a sign or not. Omar could be going to LA for a couple of days and then flying to Florida for the Honduras prep this weekend. I just sort of assumed the folks on the 23 for Honduras would continue on to Florida early to stay together as a group.

2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No reason to expect that. I think he deserves a day or two at home after such a long training stint with the nats. He will surely be in the picture for qualifying. Hopefully with Goodson at home.

Berks and Foolishness repped this.
  3. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Always challenging to read too much into the starting XI decisions for a friendly like this.

I could actually see a scenario where Benny not starting yesterday actually meant he was MORE likely to go to Honduras. Specifically... JK knows his starting midfield for Honduras already, and it Benny is not in it. But Benny is seen as a midfield supersub option for second half if the game is tight, and we need a goal. Therefore, he uses Benny in the Canada friendly only as a second half sub, to see his impact on the tempo of our attack and the quality of our final-third passing.

Of course, I am making this up, but it's certainly possible we see Benny in this role in Honduras.

4. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    jones and bradley will be the key in honduras

if usa can get a point, take it and be happy

5. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. I think your rationale would likely work better with Gatt as he has been a part of Jurgen's plans in the past. I just find it really unlikely Jurgen would not start Feilhaber after a good camp with the chance to impress with him being a new player in Jurgen's reign. If new players are to be contemplated as supersubs I believe they would be tested with our best 23 after confirming that they are indeed not up to the level of the rest of our starting mids. I think its obvious he isnt up to the level of Bradley or Jones in midfield but you would think he'd get a chance to train with them as starters before Jurgen ponders him as a supersub. Thats why I would think Jurgen would start him right off the bat vs Canada if he was interested in taking Feilhaber to Honduras. Furthermore, Kljestan will likely fill this role which he has done well lately for us. Then you have Torres out there too & the physical issues Jurgen has with Torres are just heightened in Feilhaber. I just find the chances of this being the case very distant. Ive heard virtually no word from Jurgen on Feilhaber either. There's just too much speculation rather than evidence surrounding Feilhaber's chances.

6. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones isn't sitting the bench.
    Parkhurst or Cameron RB, Chandler LB.
    Castillo still remains a gutsy call at LB, as is Orozco-Fiscal at RB.
    I don't think any other MLS guys will play besides Gonzo.

7. KickersFTW

KickersFTW Member+

Jan 12, 2012
    RVA (Soccer hotbed)
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said in my blog I think Omar definitely deserves a shot. He was impressive even if he didn't get lots of chances to show it with us owning possession. I wouldn't be opposed to Gatt making the trip too considering he actually cared last night. I don't know if he'll get the green light but considering he's 21 I'm sure you'll see him there soon enough.

8. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    i just watch the game again focusing again on gonzo

for me, it;d thin boca and gonzo are in the middle cameron at rb and chandler at lb

mids are jones, bradley, zusi and dempsey

altidore and gomez up top

9. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meant to explain Jones. He had a knock with Schalke. I havent seen an update on it. I assume he is definitely well enough to be called but I dont know if he's well enough to start.

As for the rest, I cant take you seriously if you're comparing Castillo at left back to Orozco at right back. Parkhurst hasnt played in roughly 2 months and Chandler is completely useless at left back as he is very one-footed.

10. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is what I'd like to see

[​IMG]

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  11. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    I think this would end up looking like a funnel. Both Gomez and EJ would come in rather than stretch the width.

12. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    He's been training from my understanding, I think he still has 1 more game left on his suspension anyways. He might be a bit rusty but given our FB injuries, JJ would be HUGE if he can stay back and not try to make runs all game.

FloridaFC2MLS repped this.
  13. jgriff1006

jgriff1006 New Member

May 1, 2011
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I'd like to see, assuming Dolo and Fabian are out. If healthy, either starts.

---------------Howard-------------
    Chandler--Cameron--Boca--Parkhurst
    -----------Jones-----Bradley------------
    ---------------Dempsey-----------------
    Gomez---------Altidore----------EJ

Bench: Guzan; Castillo, Gonzalez; Williams, Kljestan, Feilhaber; Boyd.

What I think we'll see:

---------------Howard-------------
    Chandler--Cameron--Boca--Castillo
    --------------Williams--------------
    Bradley-------Jones------------EJ
    ---------Altidore---Gomez---------

Bench: Guzan; Parkhurst, Gonzalez; Beckerman, Zusi, Feilhaber; Boyd.

15. AllNats

AllNats Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know why this game is being played at 3:00 PM on a Wednesday? I assume the Honduran work week isn't THAT different from the American work week. Aren't they killing their own television revenues?

16. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They rather have the heat and humidity above anything else. It will tough game conditions for sure.

17. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    I get to post this video twice in two days?!

Probably about 5-10 degrees Fahrenheit difference between an afternoon game and an evening game in San Pedro Sula. Could mean the difference between 80 degrees and 70 degrees. Personally, I don't see 80 degrees as being particularly notable, even with the probable humidity, but Honduras is presumably looking for that advantage.

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Whoever plays DM will be key. So far, I'm impressed with Dani Williams. He owns the spot, IMO. Although his lack of playing time (for club) is a valid concern.

19. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Television revenues will not be affected.. The President of Honduras has given the day off to everyone so they can watch the game, just like what they did against Canada. Sold out crowd.

Mestes and COMtnGuy repped this.
  20. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Its suppose to be 82-90 degrees on Wednesday.. 87% humidity.. probably higher. Suppose to be raining from tomorrow to next week in San Pedro Sula. Should be interesting.

21. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did I miss something? Is there a reason you're predicting Klinnsman leaving Dempsey off the squad?

Mr Martin repped this.
  22. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JJ's suspension is over. he is available to play their match this Saturday, 2/2/13.

23. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Ah, that's good news. I could only think of the Augsburg and Hannover game and knew it was a 3 game suspension.

24. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also missed 1 match before the winter break.

25. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    Ah, that makes sense. Wells, that's positive for us.