Hex Home Games???

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by ZeekLTK, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Goodbye Orbit

Goodbye Orbit Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Question for you kind folk, are Mexico and the USA on the same level, in your opinions of course? From reading this sort of threads, I'd be inclined to believe otherwise.

2. Evan51838

Evan51838 Member

May 31, 2006
    Albany NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you'll get much argument from most people on here that Mexico is probably a better team, collectively, than us. But as the saying goes, you can throw out the records when two rivals get together. And the US should take every opportunity to get every advantage they can, by choosing the best venue. I would expect Mexico to do the same.

3. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Certainly a topic that not only deserves its own thread, but probably crops up in about 50 threads throughout BS frequently.

To continue the threadjack, here's my take in brief:

No one on the US performs for a club the level of Man United (i.e., Chicharito), but at this point the US has more players playing at the elite European level than Mexico. Nevertheless, Mexican players tend to play in the same league, so have better integration and teamwork and a similar style. Their coach also has them going the same direction and has produced some success. Thus, their whole is greater than the sum of their parts, whereas it's the reverse with the US.

That being said, we're still quite close. For all Mexico compares itself to the big South American teams, you'd never find Argentina or Brazil starting players like Gio Dos Santos or Carlos Vela: good youth players who haven't ever really found significant professional success at large Euro teams or were largely limited to reserve play or short term loans.

4. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the last 15 or 20 years, the pendulum has swung back and forth, but at the moment, it definitely appears to be in Mexico's favor. The fact that it swings back and forth is one of the things that makes it such a great rivalry. If it were always one-sided, like it was for a half-century in Mexico's favor, it wouldn't be nearly as exciting.

tab5g repped this.
  5. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    There's rumors of both Seattle and Portland being able to place temporary grass on their turf & hosting games in June.

We will see if those rumors are true or just smoke.

6. manoa

manoa Member

Aug 16, 2005
    there are palm trees
    Yeah, it may seem (and maybe is) fairly unimportant in the scheme of things, but it's that aspect that's bringing out my inner-whiner on this issue. Perhaps I'm not typical in this regard, but I'm not in my 20s and my life simply doesn't afford me the flexibility to travel air distances during the week without a bit of prior work/family arranging. I hope the next venues are announced before too long.

7. Moejangles

Moejangles Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Can't remember where I read it, but it was confirmed by the USA Soccer, that they may possibly put grass down to play games there. In all honesty, with the delay in reporting where games will be till a month before, I think they feel it out, and see where the USA is in the standings when the Mexico game is rolling around. If its a must win, they put grass in and play it in seattle or portland.

8. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope.

Field is too small and it's not grass.

9. vipermansa

vipermansa Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Guys, any websites to actually watch the game Wednesday?
    Have uverse and the time of the game doesn't make it easy to sneak to a bar and watch it....
    Any help

10. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Looks like u are a Chicago guy. Make the time to leave a few hours early from work, your country needs you. :)
    There are tons of places to watch it.

If not check firstrowsports.eu for all your latest semi-decent streams.

11. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's not official but I'll ask anyway. What are the odds of getting US/Mexico tickets in Columbus?

I'm thinking about making the drive from NC.

12. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like I've heard the "leaked" locations, but does anyone know where the June games are rumored to be?

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you have heard the rumors but you'd like to hear the rumors again?

14. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I phrased my question terribly. I forgot what I heard about the games lol.

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor from grant wahl was Seattle and Salt Lake City in June. Columbus- September and Kansas in October

GiallorossiYank repped this.