Hex Home Games???

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by ZeekLTK, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Versus closed circuit pay per view?

2. FLRef

FLRef Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, although you'd think that they'd have been in contact with potential sites before the draw (we did know potential game dates beforehand) to minimize the time needed to do this whole process. Just armchair quarterbacking here, though...

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston is probably out as a Hex venue.

4. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    More than likely.

But if the Friendly against Canada is a huge success with a loud boisterous crowd then maybe they will be tempted to come back for Jamaica match.

HouseHead78 and Real Corona repped this.
  5. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Right, but that semifinal round ended on November 19, so it took less than a month for the home fixtures to be set (and announced).

This time around, the semifinal round ended on October 16... it's now January and we STILL don't know. Shouldn't be taking this long.

Also, this time around, there are no weekend games, which makes it even more difficult to attend because you can't just take a Friday off to get there, and then come home on Sunday. Now you have to take at least a few days off and make more extensive plans, so they should be letting us know sooner to accomodate for the extra effort everyone has to put in to attend - yet 3 months after the teams/dates have been known, still no announcement. It's pretty off-putting IMO.

6. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    The only advantage I see to taking this long is that opposing supporters also don't know where the games will be played.

If we play in MLS stadiums with good season ticket fan bases then the majority of tickets will be sold by the time opposing fans decide they can go on a Tuesday or Friday night.

Roger Allaway repped this.
  7. MilesW

MilesW Member+

Aug 26, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is Chicago basically dead to the USMNT now or what? It seems we're never really in talk for any game. There's a massive soccer following here.

8. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they did go to Chicago for Honduras last cycle, and it was still more of an away game with the Hondurans in the stands. Not as bad as RFK 2001, but still

9. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Gulati's strategy of hiding from the foreigners in MLS mini stadiums, yes it's probably dead. Bridgeview maybe, but you just can't hide a game in Soldier field.

BTW - we won last cycle at Soldier field in front of 55k vs the Hondurans. But we lost when we played them in RFK in 2001.

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago too diverse, Soldier Field is too big and Toyota Park too far out in the middle of nowhere. In that order.

You can't play many teams in Chicago and hope for a strong home advantage. In this round you might get away with Jamaica and Panama. Certainly not Mexico or Honduras and probably not Costa Rica.

11. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I am hoping Toyota Park gets the Jamaica match.

12. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    I'm not sure why one would expect a big turnout of Costa Rican fans in Chicago. They aren't a large immigrant group in the US, and there aren't particularly many in the Chicago area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Rican_American

Aside from NY, LA, and South Florida (plus areas within easy driving distance), most stadiums in the US would probably be pretty similar in terms of the number of potential Costa Rican fans.

13. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no chance Seattle hosts a game unless they put grass down and they won't do that.

Any West Coast games will be at the Home Depot Center. Period.

Nobody gets more than one game per qualifying round.

My guesses for no particular games:
    Columbus
    Kansas City
    Salt Lake City
    RFK
    New York

14. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What drugs are you on, son?

15. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to fix the distribution of games now. In the past 4 cycles here are the game locations with a 400mi day trip radius. Darker the circle, the more games that have been accessible within.

[​IMG]

Scheduling the following would be a small step towards fixing that problem
    3-22 vs Costa Rica in Seattle at C-Link
    6-11 - vs Panama in Houston at Reliant
    6-18 - vs Honduras in Palo Alto at Stanford
    9-10 - vs Mexico in Santa Clara at Buck Shaw
    10-11 - vs Jamaica in Portland at JenWeld
    Plus the weather wouldn't suck.
    [​IMG]

16. jgoal5

jgoal5 Member

Apr 4, 2001
    LV-PA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Announcement today on the home venue. I think the air will be a bit "thin" at this place.

17. RAL_United

RAL_United Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    March 22 game vs. Costa Rica will be at Dick's Sporting Goods Park outside Denver, CO. Gametime 8 pm Mountain Time.

FUAEG, you're kidding about wanting to play Honduras and Mexico in California right??

18. RAL_United

RAL_United Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha, I didn't even realize you suggested Buck Shaw for the Mexico game!! WHAT? Buck Shaw isn't even fit for MLS - so I guarantee you the MNT has never had it in their top 30 choices for their marquee game. Ever. Wow. Nice map though.

19. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea I thought Mexico at Buck Shaw was pretty funny. The Mexico WCQ is like our superbowl, except we get it only once every 4 years. It would be stupid to play it in small stadium, probably the worst professional stadium in the entire country. So what will we do, we'll play it in another small stadium, the second worst stadium in the entire country. Yes Mexico at Buck Shaw is a joke, but then so is Mexico at Columbus.

Glad you liked the mapped. Here's an updated version. Denver got blued more, while the west coast got screwed more. :)
    [​IMG]

20. Evan51838

Evan51838 Member

May 31, 2006
    Albany NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously? Mexico at Columbus is a joke? They bring out the best pro-US support of any place in the country, and they've never lost to Mexico there. That's why they keep getting the game, and should continue to keep getting the game. Why fix what isn't broken? I can't believe how many people are looking for reasons to take that game out of Columbus.

Also can't believe someone would make a serious suggestion of anywhere in California as a place for the US to play Mexico in a game that mattered. Especially after it went so well in the Gold Cup final a few years ago.

21. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, I was a proponent of trying out Kansas City for Mexico or Portland due to the fact that every cycle it seems like more and more mexicanos sneak into Columbus.

That said, I am willing to give them one last try. The Jamaica match was impressive and we should reward them for such a turnout with a match (if not Mexico, Honduras or something.)

As for the suggesting a California match for Mexico, can't help him out there. That is kind of silly.

22. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be crazy to play Mexico in California and I totally agree with that. Basically any match in this state would be a home match for them. But can we please get at least one match in the most populous state in the country? I literally can't remember the last Hex match we had here (I am sure someone on here will point it out save me the time of looking it up). I am really scared that the Denver game is going to be the furthest west they come. I did a quick price check I estimate it would cost me about 700 bucks for the weekend (and 2 days off)

23. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    I wasn't there, but it seemed to me that about 1/3rd of the last qualifier in Columbus was Mexican. They buy a mini-season ticket package to the Crew which gives them the pre-sale rights to tickets.

I'd prefer to keep them guessing by putting somewhere else without a substantial Mexico-friendly season ticket holding fanbase and without a huge stadium that offers lots of scalping options (e.g., Portland, KC). Return to Columbus after Mexico fans get weeded out.

24. RAL_United

RAL_United Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA vs. Mexico in Portland is the right answer.

25. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could they put in grass? I so that would be an incredible atmosphere.