He's So Wondo! The continuing chronicle of Chris Wondolowski's career

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Sep 22, 2011.

1. quakesfollower

Oct 10, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, I wasn't complaining about his play, I was actually complimenting him. My point (and I think JazzyJ's point) was that in 2010 it seemed like Wondo finished pretty much every good chance he got, and that's how he scored 18 goals. In 2011 and so far this year, he has missed some chances you kind of expect him to make, because he makes it look so easy sometimes. But what becomes obvious is how many chances he gets, because he makes them for himself. He doesn't create his chances by dribbling and beating defenders with the ball, he creates them by his constant movement off the ball, anticipation of where to be, and ability to find that little bit of space to beat a defender to the ball. That ability, combined with the improved offensive options the team has this year, should lead to even more goals for him this year.

There's tough competition this year with all of the new forwards brought in, and with how some of the returning forwards are scoring. But there's no reason to believe that Wondo won't be in the thick of things for the Golden Boot this year, which is a huge credit to him. Hopefully he can win the Golden Boot while leading the team to the playoffs as well.

I also agree that it's time for other guys to step up and start scoring, particularly Lenhart. The good news is that Lenhart came pretty close a couple of times against Toronto. For this team to compete for the playoffs, they will Lenhart and others to put some goals in along with Wondo.

2. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    ProSoccerTalk’s weekly MLS rankings – Part II of III:

:)

4. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He scores when he wants. He scores when he waaaaaaaaaaaaants! Chris Wondolowski, he scores when he wants!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVMv3Eq6PlU&feature=player_embedded"]Robin Van Persie Song- He scores when he wants (Wigan Away) - YouTube[/ame]

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. soccersonoma10

Apr 26, 2007
    I doubt that both NYRB goalscorers will be up there for the entire season. They are the biggest paper tiger in the league. Henry has been the catalyst for some great attacks, but their defense and midfield remain shockingly bad at times. Plus Agudelo will take minutes from Cooper when healthy. I'd say its Wondo and Henry, plus a dark horse or two (no, not estrada) for the golden boot. I hope Wondo gets it, and I hope the national team gives him another chance, we need a finisher

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I look at Henry (7 goals) and I look at Wondo (6 goals) . One guy makes 10 million and the other guy not even $200k. Although we all love to see the aging superstars in the MLS and their names alone bring the league a lot of recognition, isn't there something terribly wrong with this picture? I mean sooner or later, the powers that be will start having to change the rules and re-think signing these stars and start spending some serious DP money on some over 20's instead of over 34's..... I mean to me anyway, for all the money they've spent on Henry as well as Rafa Marquez, they could have bought an entire team.

9. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on, falvo. You know as well as I do that guys like Henry, Beckham, Keane, etc., are here mainly to draw people who have never been to a soccer game or those who have never been to an MLS game, or those Euro-soccer snobs who think MLS bites. As the game gets greater recognition, and more and more top American athletes opt to play soccer, the American stars will appear and people will be drawn to them. It takes time. Roma was not built in a day.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe Beckham but I seriously doubt non soccer fans ever heard of or care about either Henry or Keane. Its not like fans remember or returned because Youri Djorkaeff played in the MLS and the same goes for Henry. Those pesky Euro-soccer snobs (journalists and fans alike) who think the MLS bites, if you ever read their aticles and listen to their conversations, they already think MLS sucks and probably always will. All they will keep saying is MLS is a retirement lower level league and nothing else. I mean its not like we are signing Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Tevez, Wayne Rooney or for that matter Messi and as much as Don Garber wants that to change, it won't.

11. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like expecting you to come up with accurate numbers... :rolleyes:

Henry was paid $5.6M last year, but your point is well taken.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ok 10 mil for two players over the age of 33. Either way, its still a joke IMHO....

13. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because you don't understand economics.

14. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Hypothetical question (purely hypothetical, not trying to take a side on a debate or prove a point or anything like that - just for fun):

What would Wondo's salary be in an open market in MLS, with free agency and no salary cap? Goals win games, and the guy's scored I would guess more goals than any MLS player in the last couple years, and is off to a great start again this year. He doesn't have the marquee appeal of an Henry, so it wouldn't necessarily be Henry kind of money, but I bet it would be in the millions, maybe 2-3 million?

15. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably.

16. amancalledmikey

Oct 27, 2003
    I have a bindle at this point...
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You would think if Kris Boyd is a "seven figure kind of guy" according to Merritt Paulson, so would Wondo.

17. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. He'd be worth at least a million (probably more).

18. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'd say maybe $2 million. He has the most goals in MLS from 2010 to today, including a ton of game-winners. He's already tied for 11th all-time on the GWG list and tied for 25th all-time on the goals list.

For what it's worth, Transfermarkt has his value at £1,600,000/€1,800,000, with only 9 players in MLS worth more.
    And according to Google:
    £1,600,000 = $2,552,640
    €1,800,000 = $2,372,940

Not bad considering his value on the site was £75,000 in August 09.

Of course, that's value and not salary, but it's related.

19. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Hah, my $2-3 million was an out of the blue guess, but I guess it was a pretty good one given his transfer market value. Someone mentioned Kris Boyd, and that might be a good indicator of what someone might pay Wondo, as they probably expect Boyd to score lots of goals as a poacher, and he's not a guy that a lot of people will know. So for him (and Wondo) it's about the (anticipated) goals and not the marquee value. With Henry and Keane you get both, so they go for more money.

20. amancalledmikey

Oct 27, 2003
    I have a bindle at this point...
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Given Kris Boyd's last two contracts in Europe were $8m+ over three years at Middlesbrough and then $10m+ over three years in Turkey, I can only assume that somebody, even in Scotland or the Championship, would have ponied up £20,000 per week for Boyd. Thus, he must have moved to Portland for no less than $1.6m per year.

Wondo signed another new contract in the off-season improving his $175,000 per season and, at best, he's earning $335,000 per year. Even at the league maximum, Wondo represents excellent value for money. Problem is, he's at an age where with his new five year contract, it's doubtful anybody could bid enough money for the Quakes to actually release him. Last year he earned the sort of money academy graduates earn in England. It's sad he's blossomed so late because he could have earned a contract in Germany or Holland that would have secured his future.

21. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Standard contracts in MLS are 3 years now, since the CBA was agreed. So Wondo's current contract runs from 2012-2014. Your point is still valid, it's unlikely he'd get a big contract in 2015 when he'll be 32. But it's possible. Or, it's also possible someone will pay MLS the transfer fee to sign him in the next 1-2 years. Let's say he scores 15-20 goals again this year (very possible given his start). I could see some teams in the Eredivise being interested and willing to pay the transfer fee. There's starting to be a track record of American players being successful in the Eredivise, and teams may be more willing to spend money on them.

If Wondo gets called into any US Nats games this year and gets a chance to play, that could further his chances. Having said that, it's a bonus to us to be able to see him play in MLS and I hope the Quakes keep him. I would hope they might consider making him a DP next year if he continues to score like he has been - not necessarily paying him $2M, but maybe something like $500k. At this point it would be great to see Wondo around for the opening of the new stadium.

22. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Go Chris!

24. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe from a purely near term income level things are not so rosey, but the typical MLS player can walk away from the league and still have a reasonable expectation to make a living off of the education they had to get before they entered the league.