He's So Wondo! The continuing chronicle of Chris Wondolowski's career

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    It is great for Wondo, just hope this time he gets a legitimate shot...

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aarhus interested in acquiring Wondo:
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/01/04/rumor-central-danish-club-interested-davies-wondo

Gotta think they got no chance after Wondo said on that Chronicle Live interview that he turned down Feyenoord last off-season.

5. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    I don't recall Wondo ever saying that he turned Feyenoord down, just that they had shown interest. It's possible that San Jose/MLS turned them down, if they didn't offer enough transfer $$. Or perhaps they didn't offer a good enough contract. The Eredivisie is a stronger league than the Danish one, but that doesn't mean that any offer in the Eredivisie is better than any offer in Denmark. It comes down to contract details, transfer fees, and coaching/playing situation.

While I'm sure San Jose doesn't want to lose Wondo, if Aarhus offers enough, they would have to seriously consider it. Same for Wondo, if the contract offer and playing situation seems right, you would think he would seriously consider it. In the interviews, he's said repeatedly that he'd love to play in Europe "if the situation is right". When he was asked about what it would take to keep him in MLS, he said that he wants to win an MLS Cup with San Jose, and he'd like to see the team be in a position to compete for one. He's also said that he loves playing in San Jose, so it sounds like he'll be picky in selecting any overseas options.

6. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The guy's a CA native, not too far from home, playing in a city that has really taken to him. Plus he's married, right?, which plays a part in moving (especially moving overseas). Depending on his career ambitions, I would think it would be real difficult to pick up and leave for another continent given his current situation. It'd have to be for a hefty sum and to a club that would be competitive on a very large stage in order for him to leave, one would think. Playing in Europe just to say he's played in Europe definitely doesn't seem to be his MO. I'm very happy to see that his talent is being recognized by more people and has resulted in another look at the national team.

7. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His wife's an elementary school teacher, if I'm not mistaken. Guess she could teach English, if needed.

8. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is easier to teach someone a new language if you are fluent in their native tongue. My guess is Mrs. Wondolowski does not speak danish.

9. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    "Hefty sum" is a relative term. He only made $175k in 2011, after making $48k in 2010. Yes, the Quakes gave him a nice salary bump in 2011, but that salary is still far below what he would get in a lot of leagues in Europe. From what I've read about the Danish league, the salaries are pretty good and tax laws are very favorable.

And if Wondo's wife is a school teacher, she's not making much. It wouldn't take that much for Aarhus to make a financially attractive offer for Wondo. Although I still wonder if they aren't assuming they could get him for a low transfer fee, since he's not really a big name player. And I expect that MLS/the Quakes would demand a pretty high transfer fee.

Hopefully the Quakes are looking at increasing his salary again in 2012 to be more in line with his production, and that might make it harder for him to move if the offer comes through.

10. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But she probably made more than him in 2010.

11. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I think the Quakes probably did increase Wondo's salary again in 2012.

He'll be 30 next year, he's playing in his "hometown", in front of his family, the fans love him, he's able to travel easily to USMNT camps if he's going to stick there, he probably realizes that he's in a groove here and maybe still hasn't peaked - if he would have finished better he would have had 20 goals last year. The team may be moving into a new stadium in 2013.

I don't see him leaving.

12. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he'll ever leave, unless someone offers him a ton of cash. I would advise he doesn't play in Denmark or Norway. The Netherlands would be a more suited fit even though their prestige is mostly Ajax/Feyenoord/Eindhoven. If he ends up going, it would be merely for the cash and right now he is literally the team's poster boy. Better if the team increases his salary on their way to moving to the new digs.

If he keeps pace with his play in 2012 really might as well pay him the max allowed--short of being a designated player.

13. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Candidly, if he keeps up the pace of the last two years, I could make an argument to make him a DP.

Has there been a better player in MLS over the last two years?

14. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I doubt that many top European teams will take a chance on a 29/30 year old American forward who is unproven at international level. I'm not saying its impossible for him to get a shot at playing there, especially in lower level Euro leagues but its highly unlikely that he will go there now. Maybe in June but I think he is better off staying here. Anyway, I hope so for the Quakes sake.

16. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Bay Area CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tweet from Robert Jonas
    robertjonas: Wondolowski getting it done against the U-23s. RT adamserrano: Two goals for @chriswondo in the #USMNT scrimmage. Classic finishing.

Nice to see him making a statement.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I wish Wondo could have broken out of his shell earlier instead of 27/28 years of age.

18. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    He never really got any substantial minutes until 2010, and he started that year as our fourth (maybe fifth) forward

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I know and its sad (for him) that he is coming on to the scene so late because he could have done ok overseas.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wonder if the U-23 coach will pick Wondo this summer? I mean not that I want him gone as it proved to be a disaster for the Quakes last time but it would be a great international opportunity for him....

US senior squad cruises past U-23s 4-0 in scrimmage
    USMNT do all the damage in 1st half, hold off youngsters for win

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/01/13/us-senior-squad-cruises-past-u-23s-4-0-scrimmage

21. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    That wouldn't seem to make any sense - the U23 team has lots of good offensive options (Agudelo, Bunbury, Sapong, Shea, Adu, etc). The weakness of the team seems to be on defense, so it sure seems likely any overage players would be defenders, and then maybe keeper and midfielder. Forward is the one spot that the team is very strong. (Note that 4 of the best offensive players that are eligible for the U23 played for the senior team yesterday).

Hopefully Wondo can do well enough with the senior team to earn some callups during WCQ and/or friendlies later this year.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Who are they strong against and will they be when they need help scoring goals in a crucial game when they need a goal? If anything, they need to score all the goals they can get. Its not like any of those guys are proven goal scorers. If history has taught the U23's (and the national team as a rule, for that matter) anyting in big tournaments, they need all the help they can get when it matters and scoring goals doesn't come easy. I for one do not trust Adu to be a goal scorer and I doubt they will pick 2 overage defenders and even though they might take a GK, I'd rather have a goal scorer. Just my preference. Anyway, it was just a thought but it would be cool to see. Although on the other hand, I'm sure the Quakes would miss him terribly.

23. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, here's the Youtube video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqqT6k0xg44"]MNT vs. U-23 MNT: Scrimmage Highlights - Jan. 13, 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

25. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, he looked good in the highlights. Scored the first, assisted on the second, and was involved in the buildup on the fourth. Also, including today's scrimmage the senior team has scored 5 in the two halves with Wondo on the field and 0 in the two halves without.