He's So Wondo! The continuing chronicle of Chris Wondolowski's career

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Sep 22, 2011.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Well that was the 2nd debate. First debate was whether or not it was a "poacher's goal". And regarding "toe poke", it was implied :--).

2. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I suspect he came back too soon at IU, which ended up really aggravating the situation. I have to wonder if the fact that he is getting better medical advice, monitoring and treatment from the Quakes factored into his decision to accept the homegrown deal. It's possible that improper rehab during 3 more years of college and summer amateur play could have destroyed his knees and career.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  4. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    He says on twitter that he hopes to start practicing in the next few weeks. We'll see...

5. sj_oldtimer

sj_oldtimer Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Clovis CA

I looked up the definition of "poacher" and there was one that described the term as it relates to the game. That definition, while I can't recall it word for word at the moment, described Wondo's style of play almost perfectly....the ability to find the proper space, within the penalty area, to score goals (more or less). That's different than how I had always defined it (and I am still not convinced that I'm wrong....after all, it was just one definition). Regardless, the real issue is that many don't consider it a skill. It's too subtle for some....often people only see "skill" as something one does directly with the ball....really, how many actually watch all the movement that isn't directly involved with the specific movement of the ball? Most don't see it until the replay. I have no idea if Wondo makes the trip to Brazil or not, but it is probably in his favor that Klinsmann was the kind of player he was.

6. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    visualize Wondo hoisting the world cup.

ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  7. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Visualize Wondo winning the Golden Boot. Lalas' head would explode.

8. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...n-mark-for-brazil/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Quotes a negative comment from another article:

"...here’s another question – was his name mentioned once during the broadcast outside of the goal? Did he hold up the ball well for his teammates to get upfield? Did he go at defenders with trickery and pace? Did he connect with Dempsey often to provide his scoring partner with opportunities?

The answer is ‘no,’ and it’s for this reason that Wondo will not be making the trip to Brazil."

9. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought his hold up play was pretty good actually... and he had a cross and several quick taps. Guess these guys need to rewatch the game.

10. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    It is most definitely a skill, and kind of a fascinating one, because it is almost magical - to be able to predict what might happen at any given time and how to best position yourself to get the best chance to score. I don't think you can practice it really, it is just sort of innate, though I'm sure you can become better at it the more you play. But I think it's one of those things that you almost can't think about too analytically because it might ruin the "feel" .IOW I have a sense that it is more of a right brain thing than a left brain thing, which of course makes it no less of a skill or gift.

But there's more to it than just positioning / movement. You also need the quickness in small spaces and balance to be able to finish, and Wondo excels in that as well.

11. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    [quote="NedZ, post: 29898490, member: 14730"

"...here’s another question – was his name mentioned once during the broadcast outside of the goal? Did he hold up the ball well for his teammates to get upfield? Did he go at defenders with trickery and pace? Did he connect with Dempsey often to provide his scoring partner with opportunities?

The answer is ‘no,’ and it’s for this reason that Wondo will not be making the trip to Brazil."[/quote]

Meanwhile, Jeff Carlisle (who has covered the Quakes more closely than most) rated the players and wrote at:

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/usnat...ve-in-after-brilliant-start-vs-mexico?cc=5901

"It was a night when fringe players like Wondolowski and Michael Parkhurst did what they could to make a positive impression. Wondolowski’s first-half tally helped him shed his reputation -- at least somewhat -- for only scoring against minnows and third string sides... The U.S. was flying now, and nearly grabbed a third in the 33rd minute, but Munoz was able to palm away Wondolowski’s cross ahead of the advancing Dempsey...

Player ratings: (0-10)

M Michael Bradley, 8.5 – An utterly dominating performance on both sides of the ball in the first half. His passing and dribbling helped spark many an attack. Wasn’t as impactful in the second, but still an impressive match for Bradley.

F Clint Dempsey, 6.5 – Seemed to strike a good balance between dropping into midfield to collect the ball, and staying high to support Wondolowski. His sharp pass to Beltran was the catalyst for the second goal, and had a sharp deliver to Johnson as well.

F Chris Wondolowski, 8 – Has always seemed a longshot to make the final squad, but his performances have steadily improved to the point that he is well in contention. Took his goal well, and linked consistently with his teammates."

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  14. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surprises me that Greg Lalas is so supportive of Wondo. He and Alexi must be arguing about this a lot! I would guess that since Eddie Johnson seems to have disappeared at DCU, that wondo's chances must be rising.

15. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    "ussoccer.com's "Road to the Roster" returns for Episode 6, with U.S. MNT head coach Jurgen Klinsmann discussing the significance of strikers scoring goals, the upcoming World Cup preparation camp in Northern California, and the importance of staying connected with the Youth National Teams. In addition, Jurgen answers your questions from Twitter. We also hear from Chris Wondolowski about his recent form and competing for a spot on the roster at the 2014 FIFA World Cup."

Listen at:

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/04/18/09/30/140418-road-to-the-roster-ep6

16. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Why do I imagine that the two brothers probably aren't the best of friends?

17. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm amazed this actually needs to be discussed.

18. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    We've had a hard time scoring at World Cups from the striker position. Off the top of my head, I can only recall a few since 1990. McBride, Mathis, Wynalda and Stewart with McBride the only one with multiple goals. Donovan might have played some forward as well in 2002 and scored.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Other than Wondo yelling at everyone, he was invisible against the CRapids today!

20. chowhog99

chowhog99 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pass the Tissues
    I almost vomited in my mouth. UGH, don't ever repeat that guys name again. Uttering Al@@i on the Earthquakes forum is just like someone saying the word Satan in the Vatican.

21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]

-G

22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]

-G

Quakes05 repped this.
  23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quakes05 repped this.
  24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Recent pics of Chris with his daughter Emersyn. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy