He's So Wondo! The continuing chronicle of Chris Wondolowski's career

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Sep 22, 2011.

1. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm, That's not how it works.

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    On the 1v1 with the keeper where he went near post and got side net, you can tell he lacks confidence in his finishing a bit right now. If you are free and easy you'd go far post there where there is much more room. But I think he wasn't confident he's keep it on frame. With WC coming shortly, bad timing for a mini-slump.

3. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    The fact that Wondo has 2 goals in 3 games bodes well. He usually starts off slowly and heats up in late summer with multiple goal games. There was also a couple of outstanding saves on great shots by him against Toluca and RSL.

As long as he works hard, he has a chance.

Seismothusiast repped this.
  4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, bad choice. And he still didn't keep it on frame.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Glad he got a goal but he seems to be losing something. I hope he pulls out of whatever it is he is going through if he wants to go to Brazil.

6. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    All players are likely pressing right now. They know that every single miss takes away their chances to go. Wondo just needs to let muscle memory kick in and play instinctive. He doesn't need to try and place every shot perfectly or hammer the hell out of the ball.

Good news is he's getting plenty of shots off. He has 13 in the first three games. That means he's getting into great areas and still reading the game well.

I'd also say his passing and hold up play has been the best I've seen this early in the season. He's been doing well to bring his teammates into the play. I think Camp Cupcake really helped him improve in that area. Hopefully he'll get to play alongside Donovan against Mexico because they have very good chemistry up top.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Even if Wondo gets picked, I doubt he will make an impact with the national team. Maybe he might play mop up minutes but I doubt he will start and even even he does, I can't see him doing that well or even scoring at that level. Not sure why and I hope but I believe will get shut down especially against Portugal, Germany and Ghana.....

8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Aye, but there's the rub. "Just needs to let muscle memory kick in and play instinctive" - if it were only so easy :--). That's the problem with pressing. How do you "not press"? Just thinking about "not pressing", you are already pressing. Or, "come on, muscle memory, just kick in!". It's hard to break out of these things. Getting an easy or even lucky goal can help you relax and start to reverse the process, but it is very difficult to make the problem go away.

9. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's wasted too many chances to start the season. For his World Cup hope's sake and for the Quakes', he's got to dial it in a bit better this next month. At first he was making it too easy for the keeper, then lately he has REALLY made it too easy by not even putting it on target.

I agree his hold up play and passing has been pretty good to start the season, and he's still got 2 goals in 3 league games so it's not awful. It's just got to be better if he wants to go to Brazil.

At least all the Agudelo fanboys are shutting up for now since the kid has done nothing in Holland since his first 2 games.

10. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Julian Green is probably going to Brazil so that's another spot less up front. EJ/Wondo/Agudelo fighting for the last spot.

11. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Green looked a little green tonight... did play better as his shift went on. Some analysts seem to think he was at fault for Mexico's 2nd goal, though...

Anyway, another Wondo goal for USA! Of course folks will say "all he does is score", but as is often the case he made a good run and reacted faster than the defender marking him. I still think he needs to up his game for the Quakes, though.

12. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounded like Ian Darkes is on the Wondo bandwagon.
    Tillman and Moreno seemed to be pro-Wondo. As usual the only one
    who didn't want to give him the credit he deserved last
    night was Lalas.

Up until last night I thought Wondo was out of the running for Brazil.
    Would love to see him go to the WC, but on the over hand concerned
    how Quakes would hold up with him and Goodson gone.

13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we could be out of the playoffs by then regardless, only half joking

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The way the Quakes are playing, they will be...

15. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondo did what he does best score an instinctual finish. Bradley made the goal for him and Wondo did his job.

16. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It was an incredible sequence, from Clint's through-ball to Beltran's cross to Bradley's flick to Wondo's diving volley -- a bona fide highlight-reel goal. If it were from the Quakes, it would be Goal of the Week material, and perhaps Goal of the Year.

17. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a goal you'd expect Mexico to score and not the US.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I heard Wondo with Ted Ramey today on ticket 1050 talking about last nights game against Mexico, the Quakes and the his chances of making the World Cup roster.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  20. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #1145 JazzyJ, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    Really good article. This pretty much sums it up in one long ending sentence:

He personifies the American spirit of perseverance and persistence, which has taken him from Division II Chico State to 2012 MLS MVP, moved him among the all-time leading MLS scorers -- no one has scored more goals in four consecutive seasons than the 72 he notched from 2010 to 2013 -- and earned him at least a puncher’s chance to make the World Cup roster.

And FWIW, Ridge Mahoney calls Wondo's goal against Mexico a "classic poacher's goal". :thumbsup:

Friendlies are what they are, but there’s no doubt coolly bagging a classic poacher’s goal against Mexico in front of a huge crowd has to erase a bit more of the stigma Wondo can’t score in important games.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Also could mean that potentially there is in fact some talented players playing college ball that MLS could utilize. I wish this country would work more closely with the NCAA/NAIA/NJCAA to somehow harness that talent into MLS as opposed to waiting until players are 23/24 years of age and the "Superdraft".

22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    You mean like Tommy Thompson? :--)

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Who is he? Never heard of him.:)

24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    It's frustrating that we haven't been able to see him play yet. But gotta be patient and get his knee right and strong for the long haul I guess.

25. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd have a point if he said it was a toe-poke ;)