He's So Wondo! The continuing chronicle of Chris Wondolowski's career

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Sep 22, 2011.

1. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think the problem is you are thinking about "clutch" as something along a continuum that can be definitively measured with a virtual ruler. I agree that it cannot. Data can be corroborative but ultimately the assessment must come from the totality of the performance. The only way to assess it is to actually observe the game, and yes, this will necessarily involve plenty of subjectivity. By definition that means no two observers will agree exactly on every "clutch" player or "choker".

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    If we take the definition of "clutch" to its core, it would be someone who performs better when the "pressure is on" or "when it really matters" than they would normally perform. If their clutch performance is "their best" then it implies that they don't do "their best" when the pressure is not on. I guess that is not slacking necessarily. They could be trying as hard as they can at all times, but somehow, outside of their own direct control, they do better when the pressure is on.

But then we're back to the same problem. The player may play great by one's subjective measurements, but those measurements are too few and far between anyway. A subjective evaluation is in the end still a "measurement" and as such is subject to the nature of statistical significance, etc. You're saying it can't be measured objectively. I'm saying it can't be measured period because there is generally not enough information.

3. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I was illuminating why the use of a rigid statistical approach to define "clutch" is a fool's errand, not the assessment itself. The "analytical tool" in this case is simply observation of performance, which involves time and a mental comparative, not a calculator. "Clutch" and "choker" will be the outliers.

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondo in an important tie once again failed to live up to his DP status. Missed 2 chances in the first leg vs Toluca and choked in the PK shootout when the team needed him. Not good enough for a DP.

7. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it is true.

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's cute - he looks so happy, he must eat there a lot (like I do - it's near my gym!)

11. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Chipotle Epicenter perhaps....:laugh:

Goodsport repped this.
  12. methodic

methodic Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Rockwall, TX.
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great. I can already sense the injury bug around the corner when he puts on 10 lbs due to over indulgence. We should see which other restaurants wish to join the party of helping to decimate the fitness of our players.

13. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Chipotle Epicenter at San José. :thumbsup:

-G

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Likely Chicago Fire. :eek:

-G

16. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go find and watch "Fat Head"... And you could do a lot worse shopping at normal grocery store, following the food pyramid, than eating at Chipotle...

17. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My buddy and I are very health conscious, and we think Chipotle is pretty good if u stick with the chicken or tofu, the bowl instead of the burrito, black beans, and only take one spoon of brown rice. It is not greasy nor salty. Buddy skips the cheese. Our weight hasn't changed by eating there. Assuming a pro athlete knows how to eat healthy, wondo should not turn into Jonah Hill.

18. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pro soccer players burn thousands of calories a day, and should pretty much be able to eat anything they want. I'm not too worried about it.

(I'm going to get a 5000 word response from KMVJet, aren't I?).

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  19. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The chicken burrito is plenty healthy... if you remember to only eat 1/3 to 1/2 of it at a time. I wonder if Alexi Lalas still gets free Slurpees.

Really hope Wondo bags 2 goals or has a goal and an assist against the Revs tomorrow...

20. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Why the chicken? The barbacoa is way tastier, has about the same calories, less saturated fat and half the cholesterol.

21. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The problem isn't during the season ...

22. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #1122 JazzyJ, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    Chipotle seems relatively healthy for fast food, but it's high in sodium. You probably get your day's allowance of sodium in one burrito. I always feel very thirsty after eating there. I'm trying to figure out what to avoid so that it's more manageable.

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20620588_17,00.html

23. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the amount of salt varies by who's cooking. I'm very sensitive to salt and only see a problem at my local Chipotle when some new guy joins the kitchen.

Barbacoa is beef. Carnitas is pork. Both are red meat. One thanksgiving, I cooked both a roast and a turkey. I saved off the fat from both so that it would gel and I could easily toss it in the garbage. The next day, I was shocked to see that the beef fat was hard as a rock, while the turkey fat was like jello. Imagine that hard white beef fat coating the inside of your arteries.

24. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the rate he's going now I don't think Wondo is going to Brazil unless he really picks up the pace and/or has a great game Wednesday with USMNT....He's not burying the shots that we are use to seeing him score on...should had 2 goals last night, missed the PK against Toluca, missed opportunities in first CCL game....

If he doesn't make it to Brazil, 2 things could happen. He could go into a funk, or he would be so pissed off he would take it out on the other MLS teams.....

time will tell

25. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If food is moving, un-metabolized, from your digestive tract directly to your bloodstream, I might suggest you see a gastroenterologist to get that bleeding ulcer checked out. ;)