He's So Wondo! The continuing chronicle of Chris Wondolowski's career

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Sep 22, 2011.

1. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Wondolowski named to USMNT travel roster

2. quakesfollower

Oct 10, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Great news for Wondo - looking forward to watching him play with the US team. Training each day with the best US players should help him continue to improve and stay sharp over the MLS break.

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he might start against Scotland... Dempsey is out b/c still nursing a knock from the end of the EPL season and looks like Altidore didn't get to camp in time:

https://twitter.com/travismclark/status/206085131046359041

QuietType repped this.
  5. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice! Well I was thinking he would have a shot to start even if Altidore started, assuming Klinsmann would use a pair of forwards up top as all indication is that he will. Boyd is a big target like Jozy so he'd be behind him on the depth, leaving the other F spot a toss up between Gomez and Wondo. From the past it seems Klinsmann really likes Wondo and would start him up top with Jozy. But with Jozy out, looking more likely he'll play tomorrow, if not start! :)

Big chance for Wondo while Dempsey and Jozy are out. Come on Wondo!!

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. QuakePride18

QuakePride18 Member

Nov 27, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Wondo ever played with Donovan? I don't think that the service to Wondo in the previous games was always the best. Donovan may really be able to offer Wondo those crosses that he finishes so well. This is basically the A-team he will be playing with for a change too.

9. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    gooooooooooooo Chris! looking forward to his debut this evening. Been awhile since we've had a SJ superstar playing for the USMNT.

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally going in!

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the San Jose Earthquakes were also mentioned as a result. :)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]

-G

14. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And to think that at the beginning of two seasons ago, he was (IIRC) fourth on the team's depth chart of forwards. :eek:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

15. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Did he even get any touches?

16. bri637

bri637 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    San Bruno, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure didn't look like it, the closest he got to the ball was when he was about to throw it in and left it for someone else to.

17. blacksun

blacksun Member+

Mar 30, 2006
    Seoul, Korea
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he got one touch.

ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  18. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He picked up a ball to take a throw-in, but a midfielder came up to do that. He had his first touch with his feet when a ball was passed to him just as a defender came up from behind and hit him from the back. The ball thus bounced off his foot and out of play for a Canadian throw-in. He leaped high on a run towards the ball (and thus the goal, meaning he would have had a strong header) to try to get that final US cross but Goodson was already at the spot where the ball was coming down, but half-turned from the goal. Goodson headed it. I think if Goodson wasn't in the way Wondo would have nailed that header.

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

21. quakesfollower

Oct 10, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Saw this blurb linked from a twitter post, thought I'd share. Some very impressive accomplishments for Wondo:

Wondo has 12 goals this season - even if he doesn't score another goal all year, he'll have scored as many or more goals this season than all but 3 other players in the history of the Quakes (Cerritos, Grazianni, and Bravo). If he gets 3 more goals this year (seems pretty likely), that will be the 3rd highest goal total in Quakes history - and he holds the #1 (last year) and #2 (2010) already. So (if he scores at least 3 more this year) over a 3 year period, he would have scored more goals in each season he's been a regular starter than any Quake ever did in any single season!

From an overall MLS perspective, if he doesn't score another goal all season, he will still have the 6th best performance over 3 years in the history of MLS, scoring 46 goals. Only Raul Diaz Arce (56), Roy Lassiter (55), Carlos Ruiz (50), Ante Razov (48) and Taylor Twellman (47) have done better over a 3 year period. Wondo's 3 year period from 2010-2012 is the best 3 year period in the last 10 years of MLS, without scoring again this year.

We are watching MLS history being made before our very eyes, and it's damn impressive.

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not only that, but Wondo is homegrown, humble, and has won a fan-based award as his team's most community-minded player (and was runner up for the league's humanitarian award last season).

And, yet, MLS cannot seem to give Wondo a sliver of the promotion they lavish on Beckham, Baby Judas, Henry and the felon he calls a teammate. It's a sad commentary on the people who run this league (and who run commentaries on their website about a "dream" MLS all-star squad excluding Wondo).

23. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Although to MLS's credit, they did include Wondo's visage on their all-star banner thing, along with Beckerman, Montero, and Henry.

[​IMG]

MLS also have this Wondo feature on their site today.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/06/21/same-it-ever-was-quakes-wondo-back

I want to know what's happened to "18 for Keane", the story at the beginning of the year that predicted that Keane would score 18 goals this year. I think he has 3 so far. How about "twenty-thr-ee for Wondolowsk-ee".

24. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wondo has made it onto the first page of all-time league top scorers already, and the player with the next lowest amount of minutes on that first page (Diego Serna) played 1755 more minutes. His goals per 90 minutes (among that elite first page) is also tied with Twellman for the highest at .60. Impressive considering how amazingly prolific Twellman was. They kinda seem like similar players too. Not fast or big but constantly scoring.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/stats/alltime

25. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be SO COOL if someone could upload a clip of Wondo holding the ball with those two or three galaxatives around him. I don't have my pc around and won't have the time anytime soon but I didn't want it to be forgotten. I believe it was second half of the game??? Really don't remember. So glad he could be on the goalscoring sheet today, what a great ********ing game!