Heritage Cup 2012: will this be the year?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by RD84, Feb 13, 2012.

1. RD84

RD84 Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Tacoma
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will never loathe Seattle more than I do LA.

Seattle is def no. 3 in my list of teams i love to hate (with the additional bonus of having a tonne of friends here that root for them), but there's no way the rivalry with Seattle outgrows the rivalry v. the Scumwater Failstars

2. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    where?

3. RD84

RD84 Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Tacoma
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bellevue/Seattle/Tacoma. I live up here.

4. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA is the #1 team to hate, of course.
    Of Seattle is the #3 team, what's #2? Houston? Portland? I can't get excited about hating either of those, but there's a good reason the Ultras are singing "fighting against Seattle and LA"

5. RD84

RD84 Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Tacoma
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland. I personally can't stand Oregon so that makes it so much easier.

6. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I rather like Oregon as a state. Would much rather drive north on I-5, than south.

7. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oregon in general, and Portland in particular, are excellent places. If for some reason I had to live outside the Bay Area I would choose Portland in a heartbeat. The Timbers are my #2 favorite team in MLS.

8. Hoopscoach

Hoopscoach Member

Jun 25, 2008
    California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have never had a reason to dislike any of the MLS teams as I was a new fan in 2008. However, after becoming a season ticket holder and regularly watching games there are a few teams that now make me cringe.

LA- The sense of entitlement and overall bratty behavior of their players disgusts me, their fans are not much different. I understand the larger history with AEG, but I was not a fan back then so I do not get as riled up as others. Every Galaxy game that passes seems to give me another reason to dislike the Galaxy more though.

Seattle- Every time I see the Sounders play I feel like committing a violent act against them. They evoke anger in me because they remind me of the kid in school who instigates situations, then whines about the repercussions. While I respect the shear numbers of fans that support them, I find that their most ardent supporters are so blinded by their favoritism, that they cannot even see the bad their team does.

RSL- Just in general their RSLness just disgusts me. Espindola, Kreis, etc. I already feel dirty just saying those names. I have had no negative interactions with their fans though. It is truly the team that I dislike.

9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  10. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Those are three quality submissions! For me the 3rd (morrow) option fits the spirit best. I like the idea of the fan being able to choose the orientation like a playing card. We have a talented fan-base between our two teams.

12. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Can we all agree that -- at least for the next couple of years -- #2 is RSL?

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great work all around.

I had to go with number 2. I like number 1 a lot, but I thought the more neutral and simple look of number 2 worked just a little better IMO (no knock on number 1 at all). I couldn't vote for number 3 however despite it being the most innovative and adaptive design (with the "flipping" ability). That was mainly due to the stadium in the background of our side being the Oakland Coliseum during the January 2009, Mexico v Sweden game (you can even see the team names on the scoreboard) with the stadium in a configuration we've never played in. It would have been my winner if the creator had used Buck Shaw, Stanford, Candlestick or even the Coliseum during an actual Quakes game.

DotMPP repped this.
  14. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The filth are of course, a deep well of evilness that pollutes the solar system. Nothing compares to how much I hate them.

Shittle - I can't stand them, nor their ignorant fans, nor their foul security people (who are much better now that they have a new supervisor). But I do like their town, and I usually have a good time when I go there, unlike el-lay.

The SaltLickers - I only hate them when they play us and get so wrapped up in the officiating and fouling. Most of the time, they are a respectable team, but they just lose it against us.

NYJ - I freaking hate NYJ. Another bunch of entitled feeling scum-buckets. They think that they deserve to be a "super team!" That they should necessarily get lots of big name players and have a higher salary cap. And freaking Rafael Marquez is a criminal thug who ought to be in jail, rather than on the pitch. Bastard! And I hate Lindpere! (But I want us to sign a cool Estonian player too!) And I hate Henry! And I hate their coach!

Houscum - Sorry, but I hate the DynamoeHumms. They've gotten to be such pricks. They're a bunch of nasty wankers.

GOOOOOO QUAAAAAAAKES!!!!!!

- Mark

15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might have to add another LA team to that list mark. There are rumblings down south again this week about Chivas moving out of the HDC in the off season and rebranding. But not the Chivas LA as many thought. Guess LA Aztecs are on the table as a potential "new" name.

16. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I would love to see them take the Aztec name! That would be a great addition to this competition.

17. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the Timbers and Whitecaps won't have their lame ass excuse any longer.

krudmonk and Seismothusiast repped this.
  18. Hoopscoach

Hoopscoach Member

Jun 25, 2008
    California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The posters all look great. For me it came down to #1 and #3. I ended up voting for #3. All that said my 8 year old liked #2 the best.

19. Hoopscoach

Hoopscoach Member

Jun 25, 2008
    California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA just has a way of rubbing people the wrong way. Once people get over the being starstruck at their big three and you watch them play, they have a way of changing your mind. When we first started going to the games my wife was of the mindset that "Beckham is hot I hope he does well". She now has a different opinion, "I can't stand Beckham, but he is still hot" It has not been any propaganda on my part, she has simply gone to the games.

20. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poster #3 is a great design but is using the wrong images as others point out. I like #1 best, but with more up to date player and stadium art I could be persuaded for #3

21. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it was a shame really. I thought 3 was the best overall design, but it using an obviously NOT Quakes game at a stadium we no longer call home ruined it for me (a Mexico v Sweden game at the Coliseum). If the artist could make a quick change to an actual Quakes game for a background I could be persuaded to change my vote. But as it is I think it just opens the poster up to far too much ability to mock, particularly from Seattle and their fans.

22. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are a lucky man.

23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  24. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Really? Seattle fans seem to have liked the design, otherwise it would not have won the fan vote.

Further, your quibble with the non-Buck Shaw stadium background behind the no longer dred-locked Justin Morrow is superseded by the doctrine of artistic license. The object is not verisimilitude but the fun of involving the fans, both in creating interesting poster concepts and in voting on them.