Hendry Thomas

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Hunt998, Aug 21, 2012.

1. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    keeping pablo is the worst thing we can do. he will get hit in the head once and be gone again.

2. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not the worst thing we can do, but it should be structured to a lower salary (he makes $250k) and performance clause, i.e. number of minutes played, with an option to transition to assistant coach or an office position, to open up his roster slot, should he suffer another concussion in season.

RapidStorm repped this.
  3. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if pablo makes more than the league minimum then yeah its pretty bad

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :rolleyes:

For his leadership from the bench alone he deserves more than the league minimum 44K.

(Now if he gets anywhere above the halfway point on the salary ladder, $167K, then we have a problem)

5. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i disagree if you want him for leadership he can be a coach... otherwise its time to move on...

BYLRPhil and 22SteveD repped this.
  6. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd be okay with 85 90 k on him.... just aslong as week keep thomas.

7. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    For once I actually agree with you. Pablo is an aging star with concussion problems; and in a salary cap league on a low spending team that's bad news. He's earned the right to go out how he sees fit, I just hope he decides to go out this offseason.

8. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Jason, does the MLS allow contracts that are loaded up with incentives? And if they do, how do they impact the salary cap?

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do allow some incentives, but I think the Players Union probably has a limit on how much they'll allow (similar to the limits in other sports). If the incentives are achieved they do count against the cap.

10. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed.

jayd8888 repped this.
  11. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Rapids fan I've earned the right to have a team that strives to win unburdened by sentimentality towards former stars.

It's time to retire, and if he doesn't realize it, then it's time for the Rapids to exercise some leadership by easing him into it.

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to partially disagree with you. I don't know if its time for Pablo to retire, I suspect it is, but none of us really know what the doctors are telling him.

If the doctors are telling him and/or the Rapids, that things are better then I believe Pablo has value to this team given his level of play prior to the concussions.

If the doctors are saying he should quit and Pablo is ignoring them then yeah, its time for him to retire and time for the team to encourage that.

13. BeTheRed

BeTheRed Member

May 16, 2006
    I don't want Pablo to come back. Not because I don't want to see him play again, but because I don't want to be in the stands watching when he goes down with a permanent brain injury.