Hendry Thomas

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Hunt998, Aug 21, 2012.

1. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be surprised if he ends up with much more then 450 mins (5 games). Needs to get fitness and touch before he can play meaningful minutes.

2. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really?!?!?!?!??!

3. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the link to the story that has the quote crazyjon85 quoted:
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...homas-all-smiles-eager-help-struggling-rapids

If that is true then either the Rapids offered wage is way higher than all those others or Pareja is one hell of a salesman. It could also just be an agent that wants to at least make it look like his client had lots of options when it was actually him that contacted those teams or something.

I'm going glass half full, Pareja must be one hell of a salesman. From the article:

4. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i like pareja and i love my rapids... but if i had some of those offers i might have taken them... maybe he was a bit home sick or wanted to be a shorter plane ride from home??

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is part of it, not because of home sickness, but because it gets him back on the radar for the Honduran National Team with World Cup Qualifying about to go into full swing. Its a lot easier to jump down to Honduras, Panama, or Cuba for Honduras' remaining 3rd round games from Denver than it is from Europe.

6. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I remember reading where his agent told him his "future" was in MLS? No clue or link to this article but it was when all this was still a rumor,

7. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not as improbable as it would seem although his agent is undoubtedly playing up the interest of others. East European and lower-tier La Liga clubs have bad reputations for not paying players on time (sometimes at all). Also the situation in Greece probably made that side seem less attractive.

8. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Maybe they offered him "D.P." status? When he gets here they'll tell him to sit down there on the end of the bench with Hill who also Doesn't Play.

More seriously the difference maker between us and the other set ups might have been immediate rather than eventual p.t. which would also be important for his Nats status.

Soaker888, BYLRPhil and DavidJames repped this.
  9. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Yep. More than one of our S.A. players have mentioned the steady paycheck thing as a big attraction to playing here. In addition: there is a large Latin American immigrant population in the US (i.e., community); you can make good money if you perform (worth even more in Honduras); closer to home as mentioned; Oscar was no doubt able to put on a little bit of Spanish speaking charm with Hendry. Any guesses as to his anual salary (guaranteed)?

COMtnGuy repped this.
  10. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Yes, he is a naturalized Honduran.

RapidStorm repped this.
  11. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, I attended a AC Milan v Olimpia (Honduras, Thomas' old club) friendly in Boston as a part of a double-headed with the Revs. There were by far more Honduran fans than Milan fans (or the AC Milan fans weren't wearing jerseys, waving flags). I never wold've imagined there was that large a community out there. Also, the Honduran fans were friendly, noisy and made it a great game. It reminded me a bit of the Metapan match in CCL last year. I'd love to see some of that energy added to DSG.

12. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. kucsdat

kucsdat Member

Jul 12, 2012
  14. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
  15. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm actually kind of annoyed that we made this signing now just because we have to try him out with our "usual" lineup to see how he works with everyone else instead of starting to get younger guys experience and testing them out.

16. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noticed how rest of MLS had these guys already on trial before window opened and some even signed before window opened, thats how a professional Tech Director would do it. You know so they would be ready to contribute right away. No way was Thomas plan A, judging from all the MLS references in the Goal article. I think MLS wanted to get him in league and gave him to Rapids due to our sorry situation.

Oh and I think 9 out of 10 would of had at least 2 CB's brought in, but not our Bravo...

17. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

18. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm lost, is this a pic of our target signings?

Jasonma repped this.
  19. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Small compared to the league standard, especially for a goalkeeper, but cat-like reflexes.

Big Chil in Denver and Jasonma repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While the pic is a bit over the top, I think the idea that we only got Thomas because MLS shoved him at us is looking for something to complain about a bit too much.

crazyjon85 repped this.
  21. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    If, for whatever reason, you need to rock the tinfoil hat, it's always a good idea to make sure that the pets are protected too.

Sports Yak, Hunt998 and Jasonma repped this.
  22. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    welcome to the internets

22SteveD repped this.
  23. BeTheRed

BeTheRed Member

May 16, 2006
    I think the problem was the deal the Rapids thought they had with the CB in South Africa (and that they traded Kimura to set up) fell through at the last minute. They were working on that well before the window.

24. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After 1 game, I think we scored big with this one, as long as we aren't paying striker money for him. Now he just needs to get fit for a full 90.

Big Chil in Denver repped this.
  25. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. He also seemed to push up the field, as if saying, "Come on guys, we should be pissed off and get this done."