Hendry Thomas

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Hunt998, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Edu 2.0 or the next coming of Pablo? Discuss...

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's probably some middle ground between those two. ;)

3. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he makes the end of year discussion on who goes and who stays, just a little bit more interesting.

I'm optimistic about him, and think he'll be a fine MLS player. It's not the English experience so much as the fact of his caps with Honduras. He's been getting 5 or so games a year with a national team that's given our guys plenty of fits over the years.

4. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Perhaps a poll on when he'll make his first appearance.

I'm in for the 9/23 game in L.A.

5. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The grey area is what makes the discussion interesting, don't you think?

6. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this could be a good signing. I know he is billed as DM, but I think he can play CB as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up there some due to injuries. I'm guessing though the hope is that he can help protect the back line and his job will be get the ball and then make the simple pass to someone else. This will hopefully mean that Larentowicz can move further forward and unleash that cannon of his a bit more. That is at least the short term thinking. If he comes in and performs well, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Nane or Wells get moved on or even Larentowicz.

7. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ninja for shea

8. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like JL but at this point I think he needs to move if we are going to have any creativity in the attack. He is extremely slow on the ball and with his decision making. He is a dm with a decent shot not an attacking player.

However, I don't see a trade for Shea. Dallas has a lot of midfielders I don't think they need another.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  9. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I think Shea has talent, I'm not sure he's motivated to play in MLS, but I'm not sure he has enough talent to play at a higher league elsewhere. In many respects, I think he's like Agudelo

Jasonma, COMtnGuy and 30Something repped this.
  10. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want JL anywhere near our front line. He's fine at breaking up attacks, but he has struggled to distribute the ball to anyone except the opposition. If we move him up the field, we're screwed. I'd much rather see JL play CB than move into the attack.

Also - hate to be the first to bring it up, but IMO his powerful shot is highly overrated.

crazyjon85 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  11. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Um, RFO has this article out on other Hondurans in MLS.
    First, caption is calling Luciano Emilio "Ramon Nunez". Minor embarrassment, no big deal.

Then, the article claims Luciano Emilio, who for all I've ever known is a Brazilian, is a naturalized Honduran. Is that true?

12. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Shea have some trials with EPL clubs over the last break? Like Cameron, I see him headed there rather than to another MLS club.

As for Thomas, I think this is a good pick up. He's young, has a good pedigree and has CONCACAF experience. It gives JL the partner he's missed this season.

My question, Is this the second part of the Kimura trade, i.e. was this who they freed up an int'l spot for?

13. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seem most likely to me he fell in our laps by MLS or other gifter. Right when window was open we were linked to CB from S Africa and Central American Middie, neither of which were signed due to salary or xfer demands

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, or at least it wasn't necessary. When we traded Koz we were maxed out on internationals but since then we released Henao (freeing up one spot) and Smith may have gotten his green card (possibly freeing up another). Thomas is our only international signing since then, so even if we hadn't traded Koz for the spot we would have room, due to Henao leaving, to sign Thomas.

15. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Fluent in English and Spanish. Cowinkydink?

crazyjon85 repped this.
  16. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice pedigree for a 27 year old.

My guess is Pareja is looking for the single DM that can play in a 4-3-3 or 4-1-3-2 for us next year.

crazyjon85 repped this.
  17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talking to some sources the Rapids have him wrapped up for next year as well, so this isn't going to be 9-games and done like Comminges. I'm guessing next year isn't (yet) guaranteed though, if he doesn't work out.

18. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be completely worthless for the FO to bring in someone for 9 games at this point. It probably is non-guaranteed, which is a good trial for us.

jayd8888 repped this.
  19. kucsdat

kucsdat Member

Jul 12, 2012
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So putting the pieces together it sounds like a guaranteed contract for 9 games with a team held option for next year.

kucsdat repped this.
  21. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---casey--
    ---calistron---
    rivero/smith/casico-----omar
    -----hendry--larwnentiz

4231 works perfect for us and is ultimately a 433 when played corrent

22. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It does work best with our current personnel, and we have been outplaying other teams, despite losing. However, OP came to the team wanting to bring a 4-3-3 style, which allows us to get one more offensive player on the field. Larentowicz hasn't fared well by himself in front of the back line. If that's a role Hendry Thomas can handle, I can see the full formation shift next season, meaning we can get Casey, Cummings, and Cascio on the field at the same time with Castrillon, Rivero, and Mullan behind them, for example, as long as you have a good solo DM anchor behind them. Next year's lineup is definitely not set in stone, but that's an example.

I'd also love to see Mullan shift to RB, so we can put Hill or another offensive-minded player at RM. It's not a criticism of Mullan's play at all, he's been fantastic, but the switch would allow us to get more of our best on the field--he'd be a great RB, and a good way to finish out his last two years.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, that would be a 3-4-3:

Casey - Cummings - Cascio​
    Castrillon - Rivero - Mullan​
    Thomas​
    Zapata - Moor - Wynne​
    Pickens​

Big Chil in Denver repped this.
  24. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's his special superpower :whistling: Well, anyway, an extra offensive talent on the field.

Cascio - Casey - Cummings​
    Castrillon Rivero​
    Thomas​
    Zapata - Moor- Wynne - Mullan​

COMtnGuy repped this.
  25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team: