Help Save the Wizards

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Lucid, Dec 9, 2004.

1. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The league. And it has mostly worked--I doubt we'd be talking about any MLS team in 2004 otherwise.

Best of luck. My very first soccer game EVER was at Arrowhead, after I discovered the sport and the league in 1998. You guys deserve better. :(

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    George was the front man for a group of investors (including former Royals employee Rush Limbaugh) who attempted to buy the Royals from the Kaufmann estate.

I'm not sure the Brett brothers have the resources to own the Wizards, nor am I aware of any interest in soccer.

However, he's yet another example of the athlete who moved to KC and stayed. He's about as pro-KC as it gets. He might be a great figurehead for an organization.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You mean "into the ground?" Thanks, but no thanks. No single entity means no MLS for the foreseeable future.

This situation is "all about Kansas City" and has nothing to do with MLS as a whole.

4. SoccerNutScott

SoccerNutScott New Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Olathe, KS
    Yeah, I was only hopeing his relationship with Haddad and Haddad being a season ticket holder of the Wizards would get George involved as an investor. I agree that I don't think he could front the whole bill for it.

5. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Looking at Tony's advice, HeartlandSoccerFoundation.org sounds like a good way to go. Do you have the ability to host that as well Lucid? Maybe we could get the hosting company ji found to host it.

We could use someone who knows the ins and outs of registering groups as NPO's and all that.

I won't be able to be there on Sunday for the kickaround, but that might be a good day to have a preliminary meeting. I could probably get somewhere that afternoon.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  8. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy, I don't know what you meant by that, but it didn't seem that anyone in this thread had posted the fact that the Rhinos are on the record saying their interested. If I am repeating bad news, I apologize. Personally, I don't want the Wizs to leave KC.
    But I didn't win the lottery this week, so I can't help, sorry.

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    What I mean is that this is the forum inhabited by Kansas City Wizard fans. We don't give a ********ing rats ass about whether or not Rochester's owner DuRoss is interested.

What we are interested in is whether or not someone in Kansas City is interested.

The reason you didn't see the news posted here is because we don't ********ing care. If we did care, we'd see that it's posted in the Wizard threads in the MLS Forums, the Rochester? Forum, the Philadelphia? Forum, the Seattle Forum?, the Houston? Forum, the Stadiums and Expansion Forum, and the MLS Rivalries Forum. Sorry if I missed any.

10. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Anyone who wants to help get this thing off the ground, please send your contact info to drgath@gmail.com. (I hope you don't mind taking names Lucid since your email's already out there for the spammers ;) ). We need to be making a small private email list of people for this step of coordination. Once the website is up, there will be a larger list for supporters to receive email from the group.

11. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    * - sorry, posted suggesting Bill Laurie as potential buyer, then saw "List of Potential Buyers" thread. my bad.

12. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    A few pseudo-positive vibes from the KC Star Article. Gray believes saving the Wizards is possible:

"Gray said finding a local owner and building a soccer-specific stadium were “definitely doable.”

“We have a couple of options out there tied into the youth soccer organizations,” Gray said. “The National Soccer Coaches Association of America is located here. I'm convinced something could work where there was a facility in Johnson County with opportunities to tie in with the NSCAA and youth play.

“A complex like that could be the premier complex in the Midwest. I think there are opportunities to make this work.”"

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand your very upset about your team possibly leaving. As such I will avoid the usual BS banter and arguement.

Good luck KC fans in keeping your team.

14. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My heart's with y'all up there in KC. I've made one trip to the town for the WC Qual last time around, and didn't really get to see anything but the airport, a mediocre hotel near there, and the stadium (and the highways in between), so I don't really have any feel for the place.

But I've pretty much stood against moving teams on principle.

Good luck with the campaign. It looks like you already have two or three members of a core SSV-type group, and a couple long lists of people to contact. That's impressive since it's not even been 24 hours since the news broke. It's tough to go through all stages of grief and organize a positive push at the same time. Y'all are doing a great job.

Here's hoping that this all works out for the best for y'all.

And that the nattering nabobs of negativity find someplace else to vent their spleens.

15. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This complex has already been proposed. It contained a stadium, an indoor facility with 2 full-sized pitches, 30 or so youth fields, and a retail development. It just never got built. :mad:

16. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Absolutely. Once my hosting company approves the domain (should be in a couple hours) we'll start work on building it. I've already gotten a couple requests for help, so I think we're good in that dept. While BS is a great place for this discussion, a mailing list not so wizards specific would be more appropriate (which will be set up), and BS can supplement that. As far as content goes, SSV basically has a blueprint for us already. Someone just needs to get info on being an NPO and we'll get some plans set for preliminary meetings to discuss options and avenues to take. Funny thing, went in to work today and spoke with my employer, we decided that my current position isn't the right one for me, which I agree with, and off I went. So guess what? I have all the time in the world now! (might need some source of income at some point though) :D

17. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    After I posted that, just got an e-mail that Andy is setting up a mailing list. Looks like we're all on the same page thus far.

18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Derek, if you can set up a list, why don't you do it. I think having someone in-market would be better.

19. rudeboy

rudeboy Member

Jul 5, 2001
    Kansas City
  20. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Also, at the suggestion of Nate Jarvis, I think initially I'll set up a wiki on my homepage so whoever wants to create the website can. At a later date we'll move everything to the hsf site. Guess I'll spend my day doing that. Shouldn't be too difficult as I've set up similar things. If I run in to any problems I'll let you guys know.

Guess I'm going with twiki. Any other better suggestions?

21. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Give me a place to start in terms of recommended tutorial/software and I'll take care of it.

22. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    Count me in.

23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    GNU licensed Mailman is popular - and free.

http://www.list.org/

24. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Anyone want to take on either the preliminary wiki or the mailing list? I'm sure I'mm be able to do them, just might take all day since I haven't done either one before.

25. Village_Idiot

Village_Idiot New Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Prairie Village, KS
    Yes it is. 501(c) is probably the way to go. If the collective will is to get a non-profit going, I am willing to prepare the documents, gratis. I would like to set up a meeting with several of you to get some direction for this effort. For those interested, send me an email at savethewizards@yahoo.com. I will provide you with my direct contact info.

- Greg