Help Save the Wizards

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Lucid, Dec 9, 2004.

1. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Help Save the Wizards Campaign

Through my efforts here in San Jose with SSV, I have strong contacts within HOK. I can make a few calls if you'd like.

2. Bilbo

Bilbo New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Box under I-25/ I-70
    I'll send you guys what your team is worth, a dime. I say move the team to Philadelphia or Toronto. We now know why the team was switched to the Eastern Conference since the new owners will be based somewhere on the eastern part of the country.

3. Bilbo

Bilbo New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Box under I-25/ I-70
    And I don't want to hear you guys bitching about me being so negative. It's best for the league None of you Wiz fans helped us out when we were almost contracted from the league a few years ago. We beat you to the Kroenke connection.

4. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fuck off Bilbo

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I hadn't already given you rep today Mark, you'd be getting more. Oh Well, I guess giving more neg rep to Bilbo will have to do.

6. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. I don't know if that guy had neg rep before those two posts, but he has a little more now.

Hey Bilbo, what the ******** did you do to save your team? Why the ******** are you blaming the Wizards fans when they are the ones getting F'd in the A by the money men who are using their team as a pawn in their stupid publically financed stadium game?

7. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Getting positive rep today is like getting an "A" from your shop teacher after you put your hand in the wood chipper

8. VoodooDaddy23

VoodooDaddy23 New Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Overland Park, KS
    F U Lamar.
    Thanks for using the Wizards to "hold up" the city for a stadium for the Chiefs.

That being said we need to start working now to keep them here. First off, who knows how we can guage the interest of the local governments to help fund a SSS? Second, we need a commitment of a large number of fans for season tickets & PSL's if it comes to that. If we can make headway on these two issues we can lay the foundation for finding an owner. I know this sounds a bit oversimplified but we have to make it unreasonable to look elsewhere or at least sweeten the pot for a "white knight" to keep the Wizards here.
    I am a CPA and a Financial Controller and I would love to offer my assistance in any way possible. I have no experience in the business of sports but I believe that the numbers work the same way in any type ofbusiness.

9. refused77

refused77 New Member

Jul 13, 2003
    KCMO
    how about the Stowers Family of American Century and the Stowers Institute.

I know they have a few billion sitting around somwhere.

10. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Bilbo again."

Dammit!

11. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    ditto that

12. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The thing that really pi$$es me off about this is that the best way to keep this team here is make a committment to a team that won't make any committment to us. Its like we're expected to shell out for season tickets to watch a team with no future.

13. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    Those dollar signs are SO appropriate. I'm thinking Zard card tickets all season.

14. gk0002

gk0002 New Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Lee's Summit
    Does anyone else think we could organize a rally either downtown or at the Arrowhead this weekend or next weekend? It would get some media attention to the issue.

Kevin

GOD SAVE THE KANSAS CITY WIZARDS

15. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then make sure there is a future. You can do more than you think. Look at what we at SSV have accomplished. Also, keep in mind that what has been reported in the press is only a very small portion of what is going on out here. Things are looking good for our future.

You guys just need to come together and make it all happen. You can do it....trust me.

I'm offering my help.

16. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    We will take it too. We don't have any organization right now with where we're going, but we will once we pick up our hearts off the floor. It would be helpful for all those lurkers out there to come out and show your support here like VoodooDaddy did. We need to know what kind of assets we have at our disposal within our fanbase.

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

18. Wizardgirl3

Wizardgirl3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't know if any of these people even care about soccer or the Wizards, I just know their kids and I know that the family has money.

Kemper--Kemper Arena, Kemper Art Museum... there's a ton of stuff with the Kemper name on it, and there's a Kemper in my history class... maybe I could persuade him to beg for a certain Christmas present?

O'Neill of O'Neill Nissan among others--His son used to play soccer, but I'm not sure if anyone in the family is interested at all, or at least enough to do something.

Jay Wolfe--I know his grandson plays soccer...

The Halls--they're rich. No connection to soccer that I know of.

Helzbergs--sorry if I spelled that wrong. Of course, they're rich.

The Wards--joint owners of Russell Stover.

The Robbs as in Robb & Robb law. They handle the big cases like the one with the wrestler who fell and died (don't know that whole story). I know their son has been to many Wizards games, and I know that they have their own suite at Arrowhead.

Drawing a blank on some others, but those are the only major people I can think of at the moment that haven't been mentioned thus far.

19. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    We all appreciate your offer and I recognize that SSV is the reason there will be a team in San Jose in 2005. I want to be a part of an effort to keep the team in Kansas City, no doubt about that.

It just seems backward to me that that the consumers are the ones who have to take the risk as opposed to say, an entrepeneur.

20. matthias

matthias New Member

Jan 11, 2004
    opark ks
    My name is Matthias Potter and I could offer any help once the effort gets going.
    Heres what Ive got:

Graphic Designer w advertising and marketing research background.
    HTML/print
    we need a web site and info for the site.

Manage a Large Format Printing facility: ( www.printbig.com)
    posters/banners

Spent two years interning doing Architectural 3D Renderings and building
    scale architecture models

( Stadia Models for presentations or display.)

meeting this weekend ? hit me back.
    email me:
    echobass@hotmail.com
    matthew@printbig.com

21. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I'm heartbroken because this couldn't come at a worse time. I am in no position financially or transportation or free-time wise to do much of anything...I will do whatever I can, but I'm not seeing a lot.

As far as other local investors I can only throw out the Cooks, they own Central Bancompany, which owns banks from Ill. to Nebraska, and are based out of Jefferson City, MO. The Cooks are worth roughly 5-6 Billion IIRC.

Edit: The total assests of Central Bancompany is roughly 5-6 Billion.

22. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucid, I think a good idea would be to keep a list of all the names we are throwing out, along with their locations, what it is they do, and any contact information we can gather.

THis can either be posted and continually updated on a post in here, or it can have its own special thread. Either way...i think it would be more convenient than sifting through tons of posts suggesting people.

23. Jayhawk

Jayhawk New Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    This is very disconcerting. I would love to see someone step forward, but the sort of mind that amasses a mulitmillion dollar fortune rarely commits money based on sentiment. Even if they do love the club, few wealthy people are going to commit money unless they believe it can be profitable, and that would be difficult to do with soccer in K.C. I hope that someone comes up with a plan to save the club, but I am not optimistic.

24. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.campushook.com/img/1/16726.original.jpg

25. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    The biggest problem seems to be the time frame they might possibly be working on. Parts of his speech sounded like we have weeks, not months to figure something out. City governments are going to be needed as much if not more than an I/O to get a stadium done.