Help Save the Wizards

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Lucid, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well not much time has passed since the end of the press-conference, so this thread might seem a bit early, but honestly, we don't have a lot of time. Within the next month or two, a local owner will need to step up otherwise Hunt will start looking elsewhere. This thread will probably be a familiar sight over the next few months, as it should be, because we need to do everything we can to preserve our passion. This thread will be dedicated to ideas, discussion, and hopefully... the eventual news that our team is staying.

We aren't going to get a second chance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    This space will be continually updated with the latest on what you can do to help the team.
    12/19 - The .com domains are up and the .org domains should be coming. Check out www.hoasoccer.com for the time being until it gets forwarded to the .org. Sign up for membership and also the mailing lists. Remember, meeting this Tuesday @ 7, RSVP with Greg.

12/12 - There will be a meeting to discuss what can be done to help the Wizards stay in town. It will be Wednesday 12/13/04 near Downtown KC. RSVP with Greg at savethewizards@yahoo.com & he will provide you with directions.

12/10 - A temporary wiki has been set up on my website at www.derekgathright.com/wiki/, check there for a collection of info and also help on in the process of adding to it as well.

12/09 - For the time being, the best thing you can do is take a look at this list of prominant businesses in the Kansas City area and write a letter or two to the CEO's.

top 50 public companies in the region (U:stw/PW:wizards1)

Also, Read this which you will also find later in this thread.

2. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Help Save the Wizards Campaign

You beat me to it.

Let's make something happen, people. I am willing to do absolutely everything in my power to keep this team here, and I know jsut about all of you feel the same.

With that kind of dedication and motivation, I'm inclined to think anything is possible.

That said...where do we even start?!

3. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Unless you can write checks (that don't bounce) that contain at least seven zeros, there is nothing you can do.

4. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's time to quit procrastinating and get my season ticket order in. :rolleyes: :eek:

5. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Maybe true, but look at what the fans in San Jose did, Soccer Silicon Valley has proved to be somewhat of a success and maybe we can learn from what they did. A grassroots move is in order. Without our efforts our team is gone.

Two things are necessary:

1. A local owner (or group of investors) with $10 million to spare

2. A location for a future SSS probably involving a local government like Lenexa, Lee's Summit or wherever.

6. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO

We need to talk to the SJ people. Find out how they started organizing.

7. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD

Bingo. All fans of MLS are in this together, but I wish the people who are going to be on the front lines of this thing the best.

8. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Before we run out into the community with shirts, signs, bumper stickers, hitting the airwaves, and other acts of desperation, the obvious first step is to get a list of local people/businesses who could possibly buy the team. Unfortunately we aren't blessed with a ton of multi-millionaires, but there are definitely some from the city/region. We need to write letters explaining that this city is great for soccer, which is difficult to argue against, becuase it is. Once a SSS is built, there is no doubt that this city will thrive with soccer fans. They need to know that.

The MLS isn't much of an attraction for corporations so throw the Fortune-500 companies out (i.e. Sprint, H&R Block, Hallmark, etc...) this pretty much has to be individuals.

Some names that have been thrown around. Some I know a lot about, others I don't know much about, but lets just get a list.

- Stanley Kroenke - Walmart heir, owner of many sports teams including the Rapids
    - The Halls?
    - Kempers? (Commerce Bank right?)

That's a pretty sad start to a list, but I honestly can't think of any others. Hunt obviously doesn't want us anymore and Anschutz apparently only wants LA, so there's not much in terms of local ties. Frustrating.

9. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know a multi-millionaire, but he lives in Wisconsin, and you don't want to spend time in Wisconsin.

In all seriousness, good luck guys. I hope you can make something happen.

10. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The only local owner in KC is Don Kincaid of the Comets. The Chiefs, Royals, T-Bones, Kansas Speedway, and Outlaws are all owned by out of town people.

So far the people with big $$'s have not stepped forward. I hope one will now. Someone mentioned Garmin Industries. The owners of that company are billionaires.

An SSS as part of a large soccer stadium/retail complex has already been proposed in Lenexa. It was to be a mixture of private and public financing. The public side were to be Star Bonds, the same thing that was used on Kansas Speedway and is being proposed for the Olathe and Overland Park arenas.

I hope a Ewing Kauffman type steps forward.

11. rudeboy

rudeboy Member

Jul 5, 2001
    Kansas City

Is anyone who is a Wizards fan also a business owner, have experience in running a business or funding a business?

Why not buy the club as a community/fan owned business. If 2000 fans put up $5000 (I have my $5000 ready to go right now) we could buy the Wizards. We then sell stock in the Wizards to others who do not have/wish to invest the $5000. Others could still buy the annual club membership. This way we, the fans own the wizards and they can't move us then.

12. mellon002

mellon002 Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Towson, MD

Isn't Demdaco based out of KC? Not sure how much money they would have or if they would be interested.

13. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And how will this group cover the leaguewide losses? That's why Horowitz got out in Miami. You need deep pockets over and above the entry price.

14. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Thomas A. McDonnell
    President & Chief Executive Officer, DST Systems, Inc.
    Kansas City, Missouri

R. Crosby Kemper, III
    Chairman & CEO, UMB Bank
    Kansas City, Missouri

Morton I. Sosland
    Chairman, Sosland Publications
    Kansas City, Missouri

Henry W. Bloch
    H & R Block, Inc.
    Kansas City, Missouri

James B. Nutter, Jr.
    President & CEO, James B. Nutter & Company
    Kansas City, Missouri

15. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Didn't/doesn't his son post on BS?

16. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There are lots of rich people who aren't well-known. Get the word out wherever you can--don't limit yourself to people with prominent names.

17. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  18. rudeboy

rudeboy Member

Jul 5, 2001
    Kansas City

I have no clue how to cover the losses, that is why I asked if anyone had experience with running/funding a business. I was being very simplistic in my post. All I said was that we could buy the club. I never said we could run the club on that money. I am not a money man, nor a business man so I could not lead the way.

Thanks for humoring me.

19. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO

What about J.E. Dunn? Are they run by the Dunn family still? Do they even live in KC anymore? They could build the stadium for alot less considering they own the construction side of things.

20. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Bill Laurie. He has a yen for keeping up with his brother-in-law Kroenke, has about as much money as Croesus, lives in Columbia, Mo....

and you wouldn't have to worry about playing in the Paige Sports Arena.

21. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As you all know, we have been dealing with this in San Jose for sometime now.

Also, I'm sure a lot of you are aware of our efforts.

My name is Tony Huston, and am one of the founding members of Soccer Silicon Valley. (www.soccersiliconvalley.com).

Please contact us if you need any help. If anything, the lessons we have learned so far would be of great value to you. Please don't hesitate to ask us for help.

-Tony Huston
    Founding Member
    Soccer Silicon Valley
    tony@soccersiliconvalley.com

22. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes the Dunn's live in Kansas City. They have their hands full running a $2.5 billion construction business. I can't imagine they would be interested and I am very close to the situation.

You are under the popular misconception that contractors make boatloads of money on a project. In todays market a fee of 3% to 4% is common. If the contractor did the job for "free" you would only save the fee. All of the other costs would still be there.

23. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO

He'd probably take them to St.Louis. Though that would be better than Houston. David Glass, also of Walmart fame, owns the Royals. I don't know if he'd want to help a direct competitor to his baseball team.

24. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO

HOK, or any of the other sports firms? Maybe a consortium? I'm really just throwing out the first set of names for people to shoot down.

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

took this from the announcement thread

*edit - didn't see that it was already posted in this thread