HELP!!! Calling all Rapids fans!

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by WJMarx, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jason, good post. Here's something I've been kicking around. With Casey and Omar gone, who is the face of the frachise now for marketing, etc? Who do the Rapids put on their web banners and billboards? Who is the player that other teams imediately think of when they think of Colorado? If it is Pablo, it is probably short term. Is it Moor or JL? This isn't just a marketing concept but gets to our identity as a team.

Break-break, I initially thought a giant waterslide would be great until I thought of the monstrosity in the Miami Marlins outfield and spit up in my mouth :)

2. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like was previous mentioned, there is no one right answer for building a winning dynasty. We are all here to support the Rapids, or an English/ grammar lesson, just because someone(s) do not agree with you doesn't make it abad post.

I vote for beer slide but our SG section might be passed out by half.

3. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Figured I would jump in on this discussion. I am a relatively new face to this board, but am very comfortable with boards in general and have been a Rapids season ticket holder for 8 years now. I sit in the supporters section when in town (yes, Jason, my wife and I own the two seats next to you!) When we can't be there, we watch the games on TV, I have even streamed them from various parts of the world just to keep up.

I am not the most knowledgeable fan of the Rapids, I come to this board for info. It generally is interesting and keeps me up to speed better than some of my other sources who have a certain perspective that may not be generally accepted.

As for posting, I have posted a few times. I generally find that I don't have much to say that adds to the discussion, so would prefer to not piss everyone off with a stupid comment. Doesn't mean I don't check the discussion board daily. :)

So, all I can say is that I hope the board continues and grows with knowledgeable discussion. I have little need to wade through hundreds of "me too" messages, but really appreciate the analysis that goes on here. I only hope to become informed enough to add to the collective wisdom!

rod.

Cos_Mos repped this.
  4. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. That said, condescension works great if all you thin-skinned mofos would grow a set.

5. Waterboy14

Waterboy14 Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Ok, well it's been a long time since I had a falling out with the front office and a ticket executive with a lot of tenacity patched things up for me so I might as well jump back in full force. It seems fair to say that the overall crowd isn't very educated about the team and the only thing they recognize are bald heads and fond memories. This is a good place to come for information about the team, especially with all the changes, and I feel remiss in failing to present my thoughts for so long....not that anybody missed me.

6. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've found it difficult to get involved in the SG. I went to a tailgate once, and it felt like high school lunch; I was the new kid in school and didn't know where to sit (k, stand) cause I didn't know anyone.

7. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a guy who had his seat in front of me next year. He was in an old Rapids jersey with a player who's name I didn't know (Cooke?). He sounds like he knows the game... but he doesn't know a THING about the players/team. Seemed like last year he kept asking aloud "Who's this guy? What happened to so and so?" in reference to players like Rivero, Thomas, Castrillon, etc.

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh, I was wondering why those seats didn't have a consistent presence in them. I thought I just scared people off! ;)

Were you in 108? There was somebody like that at some of the games.

9. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I very much was! Next year, its 107 though.

10. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, you are missed. For this board to be truly successful it needs folks like you and others to contribute. Not being fully coherent with the game & the players is merely a state of mind, time spent and participation. Indeed, participating in discussions, offering opinions backed by reason whether in agreement or in difference is good for all. We all have opinions. Moreover, opinions are neither right or wrong they are only different. We are each entitled to our opinions and are encouraged to share them. Fact based opinions, particularly when they may be controversial are stimulants for discussion.

Let's get this site buzzing with insightful, passionate & controversial discussion. IMO, doing so will enhance my experience and your experience and the experience of many others devoted to soccer & fans of the Rapids.

A good on ya to returnees & newbys willing to join in, take some risk and reap some rewards!

Hunt998 repped this.
  11. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey all! I read pretty much all of the threads on the Rapids board, but I only post sporadically. A "lurker" mostly, if you will. I'm something of a Colorado Rapids fan in absentia-- I've never lived in Colorado, but I have family in Denver that takes me there somewhat regularly. Currently I'm probably the only Rapids fan in Quito, heh. Before that, I lived in Florida. Often I feel I probably don't have the same level of commentary as most of you, because I rarely get to see the Rapids play in person. But back when the season was going on, I posted in the individual game threads somewhat regularly.

What Stuart95 said about the new face of the team is a pretty interesting question. If I had to guess, I'd say that maybe Drew Moor and Jeff Larentowicz are the most recognizable faces on the team now. Those are also the two players I would think most fans of other teams most associate with Colorado. Now that we have Buddle, perhaps he's among the biggest "names" on the team-- but I wouldn't be at all surprised if most MLS fans hadn't even heard about him joining the Rapids yet. Personally, I'd like to see Pickens, Rivero, and Thomas get some love in Rapids promo materials, as I think they'll be the three most important players this year.

Big Chil in Denver repped this.
  12. BeTheRed

BeTheRed Member

May 16, 2006
    I come and go on posting. Get real tired of the negative vibes of some frequent posters. "Oh, the RFO is so stupid they released Palguta and haven't even signed another defender in the last 3 days" "Bravo and Pareja must be the dumbest guys in the world"..... Let's have an intelligent discussion here and not immediately label everything as stupid and I'll feel like participating a lot more.

30Something, Jasonma and Hunt998 repped this.
  13. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are no intelligent discussions on BigSoccer. Once you come to grips with that, everything is milk and honey.

22SteveD repped this.
  14. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    " 30Something, Jasonma and Hunt998 repped this"

Why do you guys rep this when it's such hyperbole it's really saying nothing. No one complained about Palguta going, and people have given plenty of reasons why they think Bravo and Pareja have failed. And if we're talking specifically about Quinn (which it seems we are), other aspects of his posts such as tone/insults and repetitiveness have been talked about, and he has toned things down since then.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I repped it for this (mainly the first half of the statement):

Hunt998 repped this.
  16. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I
    I repped the sentiment not the hyperbole and judging from a lot of the posts around here there isn't a ban on hyperbole.

17. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been around a long while on these boards. I think the lower participation is a function of three factors:
    1. The Rapids are neither extremely good nor extremely bad. Boards seem to light up when either extreme is reached. The Rapids are in year two of a new paradigm and I think the fans are in "wait and see" mode. Coaching discussions seems to get many, many comments.
    2. The front office seems to be doing a better job in general with communication, player acquisition and general professionalism. "Management" complaints are frequent on these boards.
    3. New forms of social media have eliminated the need to check these boards as frequently. Seven years ago you saw bigsoccer rumors take on a life of their own and some folks leaked info that appeared on the boards directly. I used to come to the boards to get new info that couldn't be found elsewhere (or at least it was easier to just come here than search the whole Internet). Now with the various outlets of social media (especially twitter and facebook) most interesting information is being leaked and discussed on those outlets instead of these boards.

In general, I would have to say the other teams that I follow do seem to have a more engaged group (at least on bigsoccer, which I would say is one measure of fan engagement). Press coverage is less in Denver than other markets and while I do give Mr. Hinchey and his staff props for the general uptick in communications from the front office (love his engagement with fans directly through twitter), I do think the Rapids have a long way to go before they have a more connected and engaged fanbase.

18. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

19. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I'm being dragged into this via some bad revisionist history, lets consider the following:

1. I actually thought Pareja was a good choice in the early part of the season.
    2. I was no longer impressed by just a new car smell when it became apparent that the team was getting worse as the season progressed.
    3. I kept making the same argument, and still make the same argument, of why I no longer think Pareja has what it takes. In return I get the same old cascade of bad arguments that are devoid of any actual fact-based evidence...over, and over, and over, and over again.
    4. The losses kept piling up, and I couldn't fathom how people could excuse such bad results with no questions asked. Thats when I indirectly called such people "stupid", I then apologized for it anyway even though I never directly insulted anyone.
    5. The team never got better. In fact, Pareja's team gifted Rapids fans with some of the worst individual games this club has seen in its history.
    6. Once the team was out of the running, people still pissed and moaned when I brought up what a poor job our coach has done, and some people on here didn't even want to discuss it, in spite of more people gradually sharing my viewpoint over the season.

"Immediately label everything as stupid" my asshole.

Also, this will piss some people off, but don't be a little chicken-shit like the "dozens" of people that complained to our board moderator because they didn't have the stones to actually argue their point.

Remember that "insular bubble" thing I was talking about?

20. xingyiz

xingyiz Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I am more a lurker than a poster not even sure how many posts I have made. I read this forum just about every day especially now that my work has allowed the website again. This is definitely the place I come to for "inside" information before it comes out on the mlssoccer website. There seem to be plenty of people here that know what's going on even when it starts out as just a rumor. My reluctance to post has mostly to do with my lack of knowledge about the Rapids historically/statistically and my lack of overall soccer IQ. Sure, I am quite confident I could keep up in an actual game of footy with most of the posters here, but, that has little to do with soccer knowledge off of the pitch. Not to mention my horrible grammar/spelling skills. People like WJMarx makes somebody like me feel downright embarrased when it comes to putting my thoughts down in a post.
    My soccer brain has never really developed past "player mode." So tactics, formations, and such are somewhat lost on me. I have played the game since I was 4 and was scouted to play at a higher level starting around 8 and I was able to play at a fairly competitive level for many years. I will admit I let the politics, BS, and other life circumstances get in my way to moving higher or at least trying to.
    When I want to comment on a certain topic that is going around these forums I usually keep to myself because my opinions are based more on what I see and feel rather than anything I could back up with stats or facts. I could tell from his first few touches on the ball that Rivero was going to bring something special to the Rapids, although, I think many would argue (especially FB posters) that he has not brought much to the team. To me his skill and vision were 10 times greater than most if not any of the Rapids I had seen in my short time watching. (lol maybe not his shooting) I'm on my 3 year of being a season ticket holder by the way.
    So once in a while I might feel up to posting, but, most of the time I let all of you guys with the facts and drive to search out stats do the talking.

Keep up the good work all you fact checkers!
    ;-)

21. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TL/DR: FU Stupid.

:D

Couchtoast, Quinn 33 and Jasonma repped this.
  22. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quinn, no issues with you or your thinking. I agree that last year was painful. My thought is/was to give OP a second year rather than get on a TFC-like coaching carosel. It isn't scientific but it appears that consistency/continuity pays benefits in MLS. However, if we have a repeat this year of last year, I'll join you in the fire OP chorus.

As for the second point, I didn't call you out to the mods. I addressed my issues with the paste eater comments in forum, which is how I suggest we all handle issues.

Quinn 33 repped this.
  23. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To xingyiz and any others who feel that they "don't have anything to contribute" but most specifically to xingyiz, please don't be afraid to post those gut feeling kind of sentiments. All viewpoints are valid. I remember reading that Johan Cruyff was talking to a reporter or coach or something and wasn't watching the players at all, but just from the sound of how the ball was being struck he turned around and scolded the player for using poor form. I'm not saying that you have that kind of ability, but there is something to be said for using senses instead of statistics for judging skill/talent/performances. You need to have both to get an accurate assessment, so I welcome your views and insights. Oh and don't let WJMarx get to you. It's pretty easy to just ignore him, or just wait and someone else will call him out and the conversation will move on.

24. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I also didn't report you to the mod. I don't agree with where you are coming from but you have the same right to your point of view as I do. Now that I've been on the board a little longer I don't take your lack of tact personally. The problem is, every time someone new signs up they have to learn the lesson... That said, there is absolutely no reason for us to go down this road again.

25. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to hear that you may just ignore me. I try to spice up these threads with reasoned opinions and contrary options. Too bad that I am not your cup of tea!