Heads Up

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Bill Archer, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 Bill Archer, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    If the mods have a problem with a new thread then THEY can figure out where to put this. I gave up.

Tonight on ESPN, back to back 30 for 30's:

First Maradona 86, which follows Maradona in his quest for redemption after his disgraceful foul and sendoff four years earlier. The larger point is about how soccer itself is an exercise in the unknowable. Do not miss it.

Also The Opposition, revolving around the Chile/Soviet Union match before the 74 World Cup, when in the face of a Russian boycott and a FIFA investigation Chile won the game against no one and qualified. . Again, just great stuff.

I've been banned from pimping for ESPN to the world at large but I really wanted to make sure that anybody amongst our group here with an interest didn't miss the opportunity.

(Nest week two more, The Myth of Garrincha who many Brazilians will tell you was the best soccer player who ever lived. Also Ceasefire Massacre, the little-known story of how, just after the half at the USA 94 game between Ireland and Italy, masked men burst into a Protestant pub in Belfast and gunned six men who were watching the match down in cold blood. Breathtaking, not to be missed.

The best part about all of these is that your non-soccer significant other will be as engrossed as anyone.

Yes, I've seen advance digital copies of these. If I lie about how good these are, come punch me out at the next home game.

Lucky Day repped this.
  2. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you talking about your blog here? Is that who was shutting you down?

3. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When did Archer become in-the-know? I like to picture BA as some shut-in out in some cabin (with wi-fi) somewhere (NC or so he says) who rants on BS about this jerkwad ref and that asshole poster.

Nevermind. I will go look through the cable guide to set my dvr.

4. Big Strong Patrick

Big Strong Patrick That's so Gaven

Dec 9, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BSP was setting the DVR and only saw the Maradona episode listed then an Outside the Lines about Pat Tillman follows. He went to Thursday's scedule (because that is how it worked last week) and saw nothing...

5. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Fox Sports 1 at 8pm Rise as One, about the Zambian national team Air Crash 20 years ago.

6. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sorry about the scheduling. the release I got says they're both tonight, but I too do not see it on the grid. no explanation.

as for our own (former) maiden of the pink slip, for some reason I get stuff sometimes. like being asked to interview alexmorgan. i have no idea how or why.

apparently they've never read my stuff.

i also regularly get stuff in spanish. just today some release about andres cantor. no idea what the topic is or why I got it.

7. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're Bill Mother********ing Archer - why wouldn't you get it? ;)

crew2112 repped this.
  8. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    ESPN 2

9. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems that now you have a fan club as well.

10. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    I have no interest in what the fat drug cheat did in '86. Cheating bastard should have been banned for life.

Note: I might be slightly biased, but still.

Robbo Crewfan and Psycho_Derek repped this.
  11. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I tend to agree with you.

12. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    TV guides be damned, The Opposition seems to be starting right now

13. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    ??????????

I thought Bill Archer was your father.

eboe repped this.
  14. Big Strong Patrick

Big Strong Patrick That's so Gaven

Dec 9, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is two half hour episodes instead of the usual hour, I am thankfull that I got to see them but they are not especially special like the typical 30 for 30s. I would of missed them without Billy-Jack's "Heads-up."

15. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    #15 BG13, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Two things:

1. If you're at all interested in the history and amazing stories of Brazilian football, this book by Alex Bellos (who I think is a writer for Guardian UK) is fantastic!! Nice section on Garrincha

http://www.amazon.com/Futebol-Brazilian-Way-Life-Updated-ebook/dp/B00JLEOXMC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398259881&sr=8-1&keywords=Brasil futebol soccer book alex

2. The masked men that burst into the Heights Bar and opened fire were members of the Ulster Volunteer Force, a loyalist and Protestant group, and they targeted that bar, in particular, because it was known to be frequented by Catholics, aka unified Ireland supporters. Not the other way around as you indicated ("masked men burst into a Protestant pub in Belfast"). Also, Loughinisland is further south of Belfast, in the country a bit, closer to the border with ROI.

Bill Archer repped this.
  16. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stand corrected.

17. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    I've spent half the year, the last two years, traveling back and forth between Columbus and Belfast. You have to privately memorize the facts so you don't have to ask or make mention.

18. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose we lost touch since he moved to NC from the Uniontown area. I have not seen him at family gatherings in years.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  19. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go figure: develop a drinking problem, sleep with some hookers, get hauled to jail a few times for stuff that just was not your fault, marry a 13 year old from Kentucky and boom! You're ostracized.

20. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Leave me alone.

21. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I get it now, you two are married. and puttputtfc is 15 now. That explains a lot.

22. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I started posting the day I was born. If that doesn't make me the realist fan I am not sure what will.

23. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Best footballer of all time.

24. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Better than Pele?

25. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    The 30 For 30 on Garrincha and Heights Bar/Ireland v. Italy was on last night.

The Garrincha one was heartbreaking. I felt like the Ireland v. Italy and Heights Bar one was kinda rushed and sloppy. Both could, and should, have been a full hour long doc.

ZipSix repped this.