Having a premature baby is scary.

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by chad, Feb 16, 2007.

1. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This last week was the week we expected Tessa to be born! She's been home for 3 and a half weeks now, after her 5 and a half at the hospital. It's still hard (she stinks at nursing), but things seem to be ok. She's quite snuggly.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I'm glad to hear she's doing alright now. :)

3. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    our little guy was a terrible nurser, too. made it rough on the wife. but they pulled through just fine. Snuggly, if I might add, is the best kind of baby to have.

4. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    That's great to hear, Chad!

5. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy Cannoli! I just saw this thread.

Actually, I can be such obsessive git, I'm almost glad I didn't see it until now since it seems like you're well out of the forest. Congratulations to Chad and metro!

My first little girl had to spend a few weeks in NICU, but that was nothing, nothing, nothing like what you've just gone through. And in fact, looking back, it was sort of an odd blessing to have her in there -- because the nurses and the general attention and level of care were definitely a cut above (by necessity).

So we got great tips on basics like bathing and swaddling and feeding, etc. All the stuff you see in those movies, but are (not surprisingly) quite different when it's your own child you're about to let slip through your soapy hands.

Tessa is beautiful name.

6. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    having dug up this thread, can we get an update, Chad?

how's the wee one doing?

got any pictures?

7. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoah, I missed that bump!

Anyway, today is Tessa's first birthday, which totally blows my mind. She's doing great. She's still a bit of a peanut for her age - in contrast to her sister who was was always at the other end of the chart - but it doesn't matter. It's expected.

She is crawling, pulling herself to standing, cruising, and eating finger foods. She's had a couple of colds, thanks to big sis, but other than that she has been pretty healthy since she came home. Learning to nurse was a nightmare, but she figured it out right as my wife was about to give up trying (it was very hard on her). Oh, and she couldn't have been a worse sleeper. Oh god, was she awful. Finally she is being half-decent about it.

It's nuts thinking back to how I felt a year ago and how this little goofball has no idea. I have to remember that as difficult as it was for my wife and I, Tessa had it the roughest. And she did great.

Thanks to all for the kind thoughts last year. And I wish everyone else who has gone though this the best.

8. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you the man, Chad.
    great news!

9. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Yeah, good news. Thanks for updating.

10. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some good friends of mine had a baby 2-3 months early and he could fit in the palm of your hand.

He is now 10 and he is a very well developed kid. He is also a genius, literally.

I just thought I would share that success story.

I know it is scary but things can turnout okay.

11. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Always good to hear about success stories. When I was visiting my twins in the NICU a guy just started talking to me out of nowhere about his son. Turns out his son was born extremely early (I can't remember how early now) and is now working on becoming a doctor. At the time he was born technology was not nearly as advanced and it was thought he wouldn't make it. But he did and is thriving. That made me feel very good.

12. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Tessa at 2.

13. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD