Harrisburg City Islanders, 2013

Discussion in 'Harrisburg City Islanders' started by Hax, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    A lot of optimism in that piece by Bullock, which isn't too surprising considering the young core that returns. Mellor certainly shined during the second of the season and should be dynamic on the left this season, while Noble's return locks down the keeping situation. One of the biggest question marks for me is central defense. I'd assume that Greg Jordan and Tom Brandt will pair up with Bixler retired and Marshall in Pittsburgh. Coady Andrews and Eric Schoenle would be two candidates to compete for those positions if signed. A young but good-sized quartet there. Mendoza seems like a logical signing with his local ties, and Noone's departure certainly opens up a midfield slot. This team could have a lot of depth if Mkosana returns, especially with the Union loanees, so I'm optimistic too. I'm definitely looking forward to watching Mellor, Ekra, Touray, etc. My wildcard is Andrew Welker, he had a phenomenal season in terms of productivity two years ago but a bit of a sophomore slump in 2012. If he returns to his 2011 form, watch out.

2. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's actually in the Customer Service Folder at the bottom of the Forum listings. It's listed at Forum Requests. Create a thread there to add a HCI folder and then post the link in the HCI thread and ask 10 to vote in that thread. And then we ask a Super Mod to add the folder. The more you get to say they will contribute the faster it is to put a folder in.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/forums/forum-requests-and-voting.666/

3. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/harrisburg-city-islanders-in-usl-forum.1985176/

Islanders Fans - I started a thread (link above) to request a HCI folder in the USL teams forum (if FC Tucson was able to get a folder, then the Islanders should get one). We need 10 B.S. posters to post in that thread that they will be regular contributors in the team's folder. Between the long-time Islander fans as well as the newer ones who perhaps became interested with the Philly Union affiliation, we should be able to get a HCI folder, so it will be easier to keep all of the team info in one place from season to season. Thanks.

Hax repped this.
  4. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Thanks, Zman, greatly appreciated! Please sign the petition, it'd be great to have dedicated threads for roster moves, Union loans/loanees, friendlies, match banter, stadium improvements, Open Cup runs, etc.

5. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The request thread well surpassed the needed 10 posters. I've sent a request to one of the super mods to create the sub forum. It might take a couple days, but I will follow up with them.

Mikey mouse repped this.
  7. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.cityislanders.com/pages/club/roster.aspx?pid=1

Islanders roster page on its website seems to be fairly accurate in terms of recent return player signings as well as including trialists who were offered contracts (and seemingly signed them).

The current roster (excluding trialists):

Goalies - Nick Noble, Brian Sylvestre

Defenders - Stephen Basso, Thomas Brandt, Colin Zizzi, Coady Andrews, Greg Jordan

Midfielders - Andrew Welker, Tom Mellor, Morgan Langley, Jason Pelletier, Cristhian Hernandez, Jimmy McLaughlin, Matthew Bahner

Forwards - Sainey Touray, Yann Ekra, Lucky Mkosana, Jamiel Hardware

Returnees include Noble, Basso, Brandt, Zizzi, Welker, Mellor, Langley, Pelletier, Touray, Ekra and Mkosana.

Union loan players include Jordan, Hernandez and McLaughlin.

Trialists who seemingly made it include Sylvestre, Andrews, Bahner and Hardware. Bahner is the only one who was not included on previous roster posts. He plays outside midfielder and attended the University of Cincinnati and had Steve Widdowson of HCI as his InfoSport Combine coach earlier this year.

http://www.infosportinc.com/2013_Matthew_Bahner.html

8. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HCI beats Villanova 1-0 tonight on a McLaughlin goal assisted by Touray.

9. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2013/04/city_islanders_turn_back_villa.html

Here is the link for the Villanova game report.

The line-up was:
    G - Noble
    D - Bahner, Andrews, Jordan, Saurel Olrish (trialist from Haiti)
    M - McLaughlin, Hernandez, Welker, Ekra, Langley
    F - Touray

Subs:
    G - Sylvestre
    D - Brandt
    M - Mendoza, Jennings Rex (new trialist from UNC - Charlotte - drafted by Seattle), Mellor
    F - Hardware, Matt Kadoch (new trialist from Millersville)

Injured:
    Zizzi, Basso, Pelletier

New Trialist Links:
    http://asmsoccer.com/players/olrish-saurel/
    http://m.mlssoccer.com/players/jennings-rex
    http://www.millersvilleathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2226

The article confirms Bahner as signed and that Hardware and Andrews are just waiting on paperwork before they sign so the team's website roster seems accurate although I do not recall seeing that Sylvestre officially signed but he seems to be the #2 goalie (so Hackworth's US Youth team ties are still working for HCI).

In terms of former Union camp players, I recall that Damani Richards got injured in the Navy game but is Eric Schoenle still there (or was he ever officially there)?

10. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want you to think you have been forgotten, following up the request to the Super Mods to add the sub forum.

Lancaster FC repped this.
  12. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.cityislanders.com/pages/club/roster.aspx?pid=1

The latest roster update has Damani Richards (teenage Union trialist from Trinidad & Tobago) on the roster.

New players have the following #'s:

2 - Jordan
    4 - Andrews
    5 - Hardware
    8 - Richards
    16 - Bahner
    18 - McLaughlin
    23 - Hernandez
    92 - Sylvestre

Have to wonder if Union draft pick, Schoenle, returned to West Virginia to complete his degree when he did not make the Union roster - perhaps, he will surface later this season with the Islanders.

13. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Bullock is right to point out how young this team is, the average age is just 22.7 years old. "You can't win with kids" is the old maxim, we'll see if that's true. I do wonder if some of the "boys" will be able to hang in the occasionally rough-and-tumble USL, but I'm glad they've added Anding and Richards because that backline lacked depth. It's not uncommon for the team to add a player or two later in the season, perhaps Mendoza remains on trial? Lots of talent but not a lot of experience.

15. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brian Holt continues to train with Philly - it looks like he is in line for the #3 goalie spot.

16. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Great comeback victory! I thought the City Islanders possessed the ball very well, with Cristhian Hernandez performing very well in central midfield. Touray's nutmeg was classic while Lucky's volley was first-class. Anding filled in well for Basso, Jordan and Andrews looked terrific in the back, hopefully Welker's injury isn't serious. The quick artificial surface at Highmark seemed well-suited for the City Islanders' possession and speed, good stuff boys!

17. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Welker is a big loss, but Ribeiro might be a good replacement. Becher seems high on his defensive responsibilities and work rate, which would be great to give Hernandez more freedom orchestrating the attack. I'm not sure what Pelletier's status is, but Brandt did a nice job as defensive midfielder against Pittsburgh and it's good to have some options there. I think the City Islanders' depth really showed against the Riverhounds, whereas Pittsburgh really only made two substitutions, Harrisburg was able to bring on impact players like Lucky, McLaughlin, and Hardware late (plus Brandt early). It's nice to have speedy, skillful players to come on against tired defenders. I'm feeling way too good about this team, I need to remind myself, it was only one game, it was only one game...

19. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Nicholas Ribeiro

Nicholas Ribeiro New Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    I just found this thread. I'm assuming this is the one stop shop for all things HCI?

Ribeiro FYI, was down with Vasco da Gama pursing an opportunity.

He also played 3 seasons with Jordan in Omaha.

21. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Welcome, Nicholas! With injuries to Pelletier and Welker, Harrisburg's starting holding midfielders over the past two seasons, Ribeiro should get a chance to play a lot right away. Coach Becher seemed really high on Ribeiro, so hopefully he makes the most of this opportunity. What led him to take the USL rather than Brazilian path? The chance to get a look from Philly in MLS? Is there anything else we should know about Andrew? I look forward to seeing him play, not sure if I'll catch tonight's game feed but I'll be at the home opener to report on the team.

22. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HCI Line-Up vs. Colorado Reserves: Noble; Zizzi, Andrews, Jordan, Anding; Langley, Brandt, Hernandez, McLaughlin; Ekra, Touray

Colorado Line-Up: Ceus, Armstrong, O'Neill, Griffiths, Kindle, Smith, Sturgis, Wallace, Serna, LaBrocca, Hill.

HCI 1-0 @ Half - Hernandez with the goal.

23. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HCI wins 2-1. Hernandez and Jordan were the goal scorers. All four Union players started. Changes to the starting line-up against Pittsburgh included Brandt (for Welker) and McLaughlin (for Mellor). Ribiero played his first HCI game - coming in as a 2nd half sub.

http://www.coloradorapids.com/news/...s-fall-2-1-usl-side-harrisburg-city-islanders

COLORADO RAPIDS 1:2 HARRISBURG CITY ISLANDERS
    April 20, 2013 – Dick’s Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO
    Scoring Summary:
    HCI – Cris Hernandez 2’
    COL – Dillon Serna 55’
    HCI – Greg Jordan 64’
    Rapids Reserves lineup: Steward Ceus, Davy Armstrong, Shane O’Neill (Isaac Martinez* 58), Brenton Griffiths**, Kory Kindle, Jamie Smith (Martín Rivero 69), Nate Sturgis, Anthony Wallace, Dillon Serna, Ricardo Perez* (Pablo Mastroeni 69), Kamani Hill (Austin Seifert* 46)
    Substitutes not used: Andrew Epstein*, Bryan Windsor
    * Rapids Academy Player
    ** Guest Player
    Harrisburg City Islanders lineup: Nick Noble, Don Anding, Greg Jordan, Coady Andrews, Colin Zizzi, Tommy Brandt, Cris Hernandez (Andrew Ribiero 78), Yann Ekra (Jamiel Hardware 86), Jimmy McLaughlin (Matt Bahner 87), Morgan Lansley (Tom Mellor 72), Sainey Touray (Lucky Mkosana 29)
    Substitutes not used: Brian Sylvestre

24. Zman Gunner

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    riot71 repped this.