Hamdi Salihi Situation

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by InTheKnow67, Aug 29, 2012.

1. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    MLS Roster Rules don't spell out one way or the other what happens to a players salary after he is transferred. But it does if a player is bought out.

Also, it doesn't say if a "termination by mutual agreement" is equivalent to a buyout. Since we already terminated Bosko, maybe we can't buyout Salihi?

Thx,

Jay!

nobletea repped this.
  2. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was kidding that Ben realized it. I bet Ben still thinks that Pajoy was our best option the past few months. For all the good calls Ben has made and good coaching he's done, can't someone on the staff please let him know how wrong he was on Pajoy! Give Salihi a freaking real chance or cut him loose.

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  3. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Would really love to see Salihi get a lot of starters minutes next year. He makes the best runs on the team by a mile. His finishing was decent this year and he adds multiple dimensions that Pajoy simply can't contribute.

4. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think there's a chance he'll still be here next year?

5. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I'd like to think so. I haven't seen any quotes to say he won't and they didn't do to him what they did Bosko. I know the transfer window is closed and they could look to sell him over the winter, but I'd like to think that Olsen, Kasper, and Payne see his merits in a team that has DeRo, Pontius, DeLeon, and others getting the ball into dangerous areas.

I'd personally love to see DC play with 3 forwards as I think that winger spot is Pontius' best position. DeLeon could play in that as well with Salihi in the center. That would also give United 2 holding mids behind DeRo. Now that Olsen realizes Najar's best value to the team is at outside back and he can actually get forward, a 4-3-3 makes sense. Korb also has the wheels to get up and down decently enough for MLS standards.

Winoman and Boloni86 repped this.
  6. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, complete and total agreement. The key to making a 433 work is the wingbacks, and we actually have a couple now. Pontius is totally perfect for it. I think Salihi would do well on the opposite side, or in the middle, depending on the type of team we are playing. But I would also like to see a target forward who is not Pajoy. And for it to be really successful, I think we'd need an upgrade to go next to Kitchen.

I have minimal confidence in our ability to make either of those things happen. But I'd still like to give it a go, especially at home.

7. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does the last clause mean?

I'd like to think they see his value too; but I strongly suspect from everything that happened this year that they don't value him at the level of his contract, while I think he'd probably like to be out of here after how things went.

In a setup like that, I'd want the center to be able to hold up play and move the ball outside to Pontius and DeLeon. I don't know that Salihi would be good at that. I'm not saying he wouldn't, because we didn't use him that way so I have no data. But that's not my understanding of how Vienna used him either.

GumbyG repped this.
  8. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Just that they found a way to end the contract mutually. No hidden agenda about the reason (and I hope that whatever Branko needs to take care of back home he's able to do) but just that the 2 sides found a way to void the deal.

I agree with most of this, but I feel like Hamdi is competitive enough that he could have a chip on his shoulder about proving himself. He sure played like that in the ECF home game.

He is a little undersized for the role but I think he would actually do well in it, especially if we were playing the ball on the ground more (you hear me, McDonald? :) ). He's very technical and understands how to use the midfielders to build the attack. While not huge, he's very sturdy and doesn't get knocked around too much. I think that DeRo would thrive playing off of him, as well.

Hedbal and fatbastard repped this.
  9. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This season, it didn't look like DeRo wanted much to do with him at all.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  10. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the same feeling with DeRo and Boskovic, although I don't think they were on the field together all that long. I remember being pleasantly surprised when DeRo stepped aside and let Bosko keep going when he scored that goal against Houston. I was sure DeRo would take the ball and try to score himself.

Alejandro 10 repped this.