Hamas leader: 'Palestinian army' possible

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Scarecrow, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/01/28/palestinians/index.html

I don't have a problem with them forming a Pal Army that includes all the Pals. I also think that they realize that they need to change how they operate and that they now have a much greater responsibility.

If anyone wonders why I think they should form an army, simple. By doing so any action they take is then a formal act of war and the response to such action can be more serious and can have more repurcussions. As a result it hopefully will work as a deterrent to further acts of terrorism.

Also I feel that most Pals are tired of the fighting and just want a chance to get on with their lives in their own country. Now they have the chance. I think Israel and the US would be wise to hold the line about dealing with Hamas so long as they support terrorism, however they do need to acknowledge any reforms and then work with Hamas since they were democratically elected. This way the US will show by action that they support the process. The key being that Hamas renounce all terrorism.

2. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't think an army is what palestinians really need now.

3. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Here is what our wonderful democratric winners have just said:
    http://news.yahoo.com/fc/World/Mideast_Conflict
    Following their resounding election victory, the Islamic militants of Hamas met the question of whether they will change their stripes with a loud "no": no recognition of Israel, no negotiations, no renunciation of terror.

Way to start a peace process...

4. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    There's an old joke about soccer in the USA. Soccer is the next big sport in America...and it will always be. "Peace process" reminded me of that joke.

5. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    This is so stupid, this only hurts Palestinians themselves - it looks like even they don't care about each other. I am just awaiting for their reply of how it's Israel's fault that they can't start a peace process.

6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree, with an army, then all armed members of hamas and the PA would be accounted for, also it would provide a means of security for the Pals. Plus if any terror occurs, then the Pal army would have to be responsible, therefore the hope that the Pals would police their area better and prevent hezbollah and IJ and other hamas members from starting a war.

7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and when large numbers of Palestinian voters wake up to this fact, things could finally start changing for the better.

Maybe I'm trying too hard to be optmistic, but in some ways I think an electoral victory by Hamas, in the long run, might turn out to be the BEST chance for peace. They're in charge now, they are accountable.

8. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The palestinian police and security forces already exist they could work on improving that. (as it is now it resambles more an armed force of fatah)

An army is to defend militarily a nation (or to attack other nations).

A thing which should be considered after an agreement is reached and the palestinian state really takes birth, if not 15-25 years after that.

I see a palestinian army as a waste of money, resources and time.

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see an army as a means of bringing all the groups under one central command and thusly putting responsibility for their actions under the govt. and not under militant leaders to do as they please without higher authority.

By having a central Army then I feel it would reduce the likelihood of terrorism since any violence would have to come with approval of the PA Govt.

10. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Let's hope it is just propaganda trumpeting after the victory.

I searched for something more comforting from the article

Also some (new) hamas voter expects them to "soften its stances".

11. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Until I see some change, i can't just igonore this as propaganda.

12. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we will all find out soon enough what to expect.
    Hamas needs to form a govt. then they will have to make an overture to Israel and the US to neg. and a great start for them would be to recognize Israel.

13. #10 Jersey

#10 Jersey Member

May 2, 1999
    WE AGREE!

14. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at the bigger picture, putting all groups into one army puts them under control of one govt. body and not a multitude of groups all doing their own things. If one of these groups tries to act on their own, then they would be going against their own army.

Also the responsiblity falls to Hamas as the leaders of the Govt. to keep these people in line. If they don't or if they encourage attacks, then it is war and the resulting reactions from Israel would be one of war and not a police action or trying to hunt down terrorists. The Pal army would be the target as well as the Pal Govt. since they would have endorsed any attacks.

If they want to be their own country, then they have to learn the responsilibty of being a country and that does include an armed forces.

15. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
    It's never about what the people what for, it's always about whom. I will readily believe that most Germans didn't vote for extermination of Jews in 1933. They probably had other, more benign reasons. And, of course, there were saying NO to Weimar corruption and inefficiency.

16. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    With a wink and a nod.

I'd like to see a Palestinian army just because it would provide easy targets for Israel.

17. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See now you are seeing the bigger picture. :)

18. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

just what the middle east needs....another army that can't fight worth a damn...wasn't it storming Norman who said " saddam said he had the biggest army in the world, three days later he had the second biggest army in Iraq"