Hackworth's Running Press Conferences Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by frobisherthepenguin1, Aug 28, 2013.

1. frobisherthepenguin1

Jun 6, 2008
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    <rant>Why has the Nowak/Hackworth press conference always been single channel audio? It drives me nuts listening in one ear. I've taken to recording it in Audacity and saving it as a mono MP3 file.</rant>

2. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some nuggets from today's presser:

The team doesn't play that way.

Ahh, the blame game. Get past it already.

Does not make this guy feel warm and fuzzy.

There was a comment re: McInerney not starting against NER and a lot of competition for his spot, but I cannot seem to find it now. Plus, regardless of his slump/dry spell, I honestly don't know who could be legit competition.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  3. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://uniontally.blogspot.com/2013/08/john-hackworths-weekly-presser-talking.html

"I’ll give you a for instance: When I want back to the hotel Sunday night, I’m watching the ESPN game, Seattle-Portland. And Taylor (Twellman), who I think does a great job, he clearly didn’t see the game so all he knows is that it’s a 5-1 result. Is that reality of what happened in that game right? Well if you just look at the score, you certainly have something to judge on. But if you know we didn’t play well in the first half and in the first 10 minutes of the second half literally put the ball in the back of the net three times against a team that’s had 12 shutouts in this league and know that two of them got called back, you probably have a different perception of what happened there."

Ah! so 10 minutes of decent play and 80 minutes of crap is good enough for Hack... good to know!

Handsome Pete and BuddhaWake repped this.
  4. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    I sure don't have a different perception of the game. I watched the whole thing. 10 good minutes and because the ref dissalowed 1 legit goal you go home crying Hack? He needs to get over himself.

5. usfutbol12

usfutbol12 Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 usfutbol12, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
    Not pleased at all with Hack's press conference and am now going to vent. Thought he might have wised up after his weak post-game comments but that simply was not the case. What a damn whiner. 5-1 is not an acceptable result - not ever. I don't care if the ref disallowed 10 good goals, the team still allowed New England to drop a 5 spot on us. It's clear to me that Hack's mopey "we didn't get the calls" mentality trickled down to the players and is one of the main reasons they completely lost all focus or discipline for the remainder of the game following the Casey no-goal.

Also, it was amusing to see Hack use Taylor Twellman as an example of someone who saw the scoreline and made assumptions about the game. Amusing for two reasons:
    1. Twellman did see the game and was commenting on twitter about what a horrible call the Casey no-goal was during the game.
    2. The result was every bit as embarrassing as the scoreline indicated and if Hack thinks otherwise just because the ref blew a few calls then he's a bigger fool than I thought (and I already thought he was a pretty big fool).

Well Hack, you've thoroughly lived up to your nickname.

amusiccale and Handsome Pete repped this.
  6. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to know he has a clear plan to of who his backup is....Wheeler as a CB!! You can't make it up! Simply pathetic. This mutt has to go!!

Handsome Pete, UnionDues and BuddhaWake repped this.
  7. BuddhaWake

BuddhaWake Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Philadelphia
    can we change the name of the thread to 'Hackworth's Runnning Joke Press Conference Thread"?

8. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hackworth is like Pinocchio but his teeth grow with every little lie. Dem teeth. Oof.

aztec21bas, Handsome Pete and Tyr repped this.
  9. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just listened to Hackworths press conference and from reading between the lines, Aaron Wheeler is definitely starting at CB on Saturday, IMO. He also said that the union are a very good team playing with a lead.....is that true?:thumbsdown: I would think most teams are pretty good if they get a lead.....said the bad call changed the whole game, not the 5 goals....:thumbsup:

10. riot71

riot71 Member+

Dec 11, 2003
    New Jersey
  11. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet another core principle of Hacktics:

Never accepting responsibility. When blaming the ref post-match isn't enough.

Tyr repped this.
  12. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doop, Handsome Pete and BuddhaWake repped this.
  13. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh that John Hackworth! Once again he takes a subtle jab at the refs when talking about Conor in the box. Hack said, "not that we would have been given a PK, but under normal circumstances maybe a team would have been given a penalty..."

:confused:

That's right John, the refs have nothing better to do than purposefully NOT give PK's to a borderline playoff team.

15. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just came in to post this..... its amazing how the refs are just out to stick it to the U every week isn't it?
    ugh, just stop making excuses, thats all I ask for.

Honestly that was the only thing that bothered me about this weeks press conference though.

16. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering how the refs treat Casey, its probably not farfetched.

But I'm a Hack-fanboy so what do you expect me to say

18. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sound like a lot of my fellow Flyers' fans who, every year, cry about the refs. Seriously, the refs aren't going to go out of their way to try and make life miserable for any team and/or player...especially one on a mediocre squad.

19. Lancaster FC

Lancaster FC Member+

Oct 2, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Hack really say this is a playoff game... and then say since MTL is playing at home "we can play more conservative". Since when do you play conservative during the playoffs?

20. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His mentor did run out a 5-3-2 in our only home playoff game.

amusiccale, jaykoz3, Tyr and 3 others repped this.
  21. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my mistake... here is the correct link:

(BigSoccer not letting me edit my posts today for some reason)

23. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Video failed and said "Please stand by, we are experiencing technical difficulties."

Symbolic.

Handsome Pete and thomas19064 repped this.
  24. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link

Sorry, John, I just don't feel the same way about this current crop of players; unless you have something in mind about bringing in upgraded talent this off-season...

25. cpurdom

cpurdom Member

Mar 3, 2008
    127 F
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Did anybody else wonder what happened to Hackworth on that press conference? Is he just feeling more comfortable with better players, or had he been replaced with a clone? He was very unwilling to ever criticize players last year, and while he didn't do it much by name this time, he was critical. And that "if you aren't really showing it you can't say you're doing it" quote seemed very uncharacteristic to me.

Also the sound disappears when he appears to start joking about the complexity of league signing rules and then strangely comes back when he starts answering the next question.