Gyasi Zardes

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ives Galarcep@SoccerByIves
    More on Gyasi Zardes. I'm told he passed on standing offers from German clubs Freiburg and Nuremberg to sign with Galaxy

3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    21 year old signs a 5 year deal.

Let's see how many free agent offers he gets as a 26 year old.

Maybe he can do the same as Chad Barrett, a loanee to Valerenga that barely saw the field in Norway.

4. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well the plan is to do well enough to get a transfer before then.

5. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe he will tear it up like Clint Dempsey or Ryan Nelson and get a EPL deal before the end of the five years. Time will tell.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  6. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    You can just see the vitrol in sfs's post in that a player spurned offers from the Bundesliga for MLS.

And you know for a fact it's a 5 year deal sfs? I'd be willing to bet it's a 4 year deal as he used Europe as leverage in that regard. MLS has been much more lenient giving out 4 year deals lately to high profile rookies. Danny Mwanga, Luis Gil, Juan Agudelo are some that signed 4 year Generation Adidas type deals in the past few years.

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Dempsey and Cooper were the last "middle aged" attacker sold by MLS. Clint was not 24 yet but was already an MLS Rookie of the Year and the full USNT member/World Cup participant. Kenny was 25 and with a Euro passport.

Other than these two, MLS attackers in their mid-20's - Rolfe, Gomez, Noonan, Wolfe, Mathis, Findley, Buddle, Rogers - had to leave on a free.

MLS did sell Altidore (then 18), Adu (also supposedly 18) and will probably be forced to sell Agudelo who just turned 20.

Overall, the odds aren't with Zardes moving any time soon and, if he has to play out his deal, he'll be 26, which is often considered too late for a striker to make a jump to a Top 5 Euro league out of MLS.

It's not even dismay.

I am not too big on Germany as the development league for a 21-year old to begin with and chances are that Freiburg decided not to invest really big money into a 21-YO college striker anyway.

I mean, it's not like the kid had Ajax after him. Personally, I would have advised him to take less money in Brazil, where he should have been considered a citizen.

The article said five years.

8. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true. Just to add detail, the article said "sources on twitter pegged it at five years"

9. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

10. socal23

socal23 Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Would love to see him head to Europe...also hope he gets integrated into the set up soon.

11. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Galaxy will get some tepid offers for him in the off season.

In hindsight playing with Donovan and Keane probably provided development he couldn't overseas.

12. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    I trust Bruce and co. to not pull the trigger on that too soon (unless BJIV is really that good), Zardes probably needs a chance to prove that his current scoring rate isn't just a hot streak. I'd give him another year in the league before seriously entertaining any offers tbh.

Tom Collingsworth and Jumbalaya repped this.
  13. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Zardes play this year deserves an off season with a few silly transfer rumors. :)

14. Tactical Hipster

Dec 23, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, he should stay in the MLS maybe one more season to hone his skills next to Keane. After that, he can try out Europe. Germany wouldn't be bad since he almost went there already.

Speaking of, I think he made a great decision to stay in the States and develop instead of going to Europe right away. I mean when Zardes first went to Galaxy he was so raw and over a season or two he has developed quite a lot. I'm afraid he wouldn't have gotten the same patient approach in Germany (might be wrong).

INKRO and SpencerNY repped this.
  15. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Agreed. Had he gone to Germany you couldn't really have blamed any team for sending him straight to the bench based on what we saw from Zardes that first season. As cringe-worthy as some of his play was that first season I do think it was pretty obvious that with a little sharpening up he would be a stand out amongst american MLS strikers.

16. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could be a career defining year in MLS and with USMNT this year for Zardes. Lets hope he makes the best of it for the YA's sake.

17. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know his contract status?

I know many rookies sign a 3 year deal but Zardes is a very well paid homegrown signing, so I don't know if LA locked him up for 4 years.

18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Don't know the basis for this report, but it seems to suggest some kind of link between Zardes and, of course, 1860 Munich:

Für den vakanten Platz im Angriff kursieren derweil mehrere Namen. Neben dem vereinslosen Ex-Nationalspieler Cacau und Artur Sobiech von Hannover 96 bringt die “TZ” mit Gyasi Zardes von L.A. Galaxy nun noch einen weiteren Kandidaten ins Gespräch. Der 23-Jährige ist trotz seiner 1,88 Meter nicht aufs Sturmzentrum festgelegt, sondern kommt sowohl im Verein als auch im US-Nationalteam unter Trainer Jürgen Klinsmann auch auf den Flügeln und sogar im Mittelfeld zum Einsatz.
    http://liga-zwei.de/tsv-1860-muench...s-im-visier-mohamed-gouaida-kommt-nicht/44454

EDIT: This might be the source report:

http://www.merkur.de/sport/tsv-1860...ardes-neuer-loewen-stuermer-meta-5318420.html

A follow-up:

http://www.merkur.de/sport/tsv-1860...ardes-neuer-loewen-stuermer-meta-5318420.html

Testudo repped this.
  19. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'Nah'

That will probably be the LA Galaxy/MLS response to any offer from 1860.

20. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Testudo repped this.
  21. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    I was kind of hoping he would be the next Landon Donovan and be an advert for how talented our league is. Staying his whole career, but he is a young man and he should be confined by no standards with such potential.

22. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It makes sense for both the Galaxy and Zardes to look for a transfer when the season is over. I believe Zardes is on the last year of his contract next year, I'm sure he'll be looking for a pay raise that will effect LAG's cap. The Galaxy have a bevy of attacking talent, not to mention young attackers on the cusp of consistent first team action like Villarreal, BJI4, Lassiter, hell, even Mendiola.

I'm not saying those guys are better than Gyassi, but they sure as hell could help pick up the slack. Seems like it'd be a win win

23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1860's top paid transfer over the last five years is 600K.

If that's his market overseas LA will hold onto him and dare him go abroad on a free is my guess.

JJV1994, failure, m vann and 2 others repped this.
  24. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Testudo and BostonRed repped this.