Gyasi Zardes....any info?

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by JoseDeCuervo, Sep 25, 2011.

1. banbaseball

banbaseball Member

Oct 10, 2000
    East of the Bay
    Another American player over-estimating his worth. All of these boys should take a peak at the NASL combine and adjust their thinking accordingly.

2. headerdunce

headerdunce Member

Dec 19, 2005
    I agree with the last few comments. The kid's very talented but six figures is a good offer. Hope he stays healthy and has another great season. If so, it might work out. If not, he might regret the decision.

FWIW, my nephew has played against him and with him and says the guy is a hard worker and humble.

3. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're down to one and willing to bet it? :eek: That's..........ballsy! :D

4. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easily could be mistaken, but I thought that home growns didn't count against the cap....or were at least subsidized greatly.

Something that needs to be kept in mind is the length of the contract he's expected to sign along with the unilateral "options" that MLS usually include. If the kid wants an early career transfer and doesn't believe MLS will sell him when he wants to go, a better contract may be the compensation that makes that worth while for him.

I don't knock him for turning it down if he's uncomfortable with all the variables, but the analysis of MLS's reaction is right on for me. Another year at the college level won't help in the negotiations. Surely, he's got better options.

5. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From MLS Soccer's "The Kick Off":

Get used to this name: Gyasi Zardes. Many have labeled him the best prospect in college soccer and he’s considered a Home Grown player for the LA Galaxy. But his college coach reveals that playing time was a major reason he decided to stay at Cal State Bakersfield this year: “The Galaxy has David Beckham and Robbie Keane so it would have been hard for him to get a lot of playing time in the early time of his [pro] career. It probably helps his development playing one more college year.”

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    What a self-serving crock of shit from the college coach.

Here's the link to the original article in question.

http://www.bakersfield.com/news/sports/csub/x1997184131/MLS-can-wait-Zardes-coming-back-to-CSUB

First off, since when did David Beckham play forward?

Second, Robbie Keane is going to miss a chunk of the season because of the Euro.

Third, the Galaxy will have a LOT of games this year between CONCACAF CCL (both this edition and the next, which starts in the summer), the league, the USOC and any friendlies. Donovan (and perhaps Buddle) has WC Qualifying. Beckham likely has the Olympics. And that's before injuries and suspensions. There will be PLENTY of times when Bruce doesn't have his preferred Best XI, thus creating ample chances for the reserves.

Fourth, does Tobin really believe that training with and against college players whom Zardes is already better than will enhance his development more than training alongside and against guys like Donovan, Beckham, Keane, Buddle, Dunivant, Gonzalez (when healthy) and the rest of the Galaxy backline.

Hell, with the exception of Leonardo, the Galaxy defenders were all All Americans as college players and went in the first or second round the draft. Ergo, they were among the best college players in the country when they were in school and now they'r even better after their pro and international experience. Does Tobin really think Zardes is going to improve more going against players not nearly as good as the Galaxy's backline in training and games? Please.

Fifth - Bruce Arena/Dave Sarachan/Curt Onalfo/Jovan Korovski or Simon Tobin? Which coaching staff do you think has more to offer you in terms of pro development? Other than a loony GK with a drug habit (Josh Wicks), what MLS player has come out of Cal State Bakersfield?

Sixth, anytime someone says "it's not about the money," it's about THE MONEY. And anyone who thinks Zardes wouldn't have come out if the money was higher is naive. Also naive is Tobin and Zardes thinking they'll get more money from MLS next season, as explained in previous posts. There's just no precedent to suggest that's gonna happen.

This sounds to me like Tobin has taken a page from UConn's Ray Reid and put his own interests ahead of his star player's and sold Zardes a bill of goods that he's "better off" coming back to school than signing with the Galaxy.

WarGalaxy repped this.
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Spot on Sandon.

There are some coaches out there that are "all-in" with preparing their kids for MLS........and when they're ready, they tell them to go. Caleb Porter, many of the ACC coaches, etc. Yes, it means they need to rebuild every year. But it also means they can recruit really well. Akron needs to replace multiple GenAd kids a year, and still gets the job done.

Zardes needs to look no further than Dillon Powers, the former star of DFW soccer. There was a Gatorade National Player of the Year, Development Academy Player of the year with Andromeda, captain of the US U20s, Milk Cup MVP, and on and on. He got a GenAd offer after his sophomore year, but inexplicably decided to stay at Notre Dame. Well, his position in US youth teams has steadily declined year after year. Then he wasn't offered a GenAd contract this time around. Now he's pretty much forced to stay at Notre Dame for his senior year. He's falling farther and farther behind players of his age that are already pros......some of whom have been training with the U23 national team. Who's oldest? Amobi Okugo, Perry Kitchen, or Dillon Powers? The answer is Dillon Powers..................

You've gotta strike while the iron is hot. That 6-figure GenAd deal is a great offer to start out your career. He's not getting more from MLS. And a kid from Cal-Bakersfield ain't getting a lot more on the open European market either.

Inexplicable.....................

8. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    What ridiculous comments by the college coach. I understand he doesn't want to lose his best player but how in the world does he think 20 hours a week of college soccer (believe thats the training amount please correct if not) is better than a professional environment? Reserve games would be a higher standard.

Isn't the point of a GenAd deal to sign players early and give them a higher than average salary for rookies so part of that salary can be used to finish school? Professional player's don't train all day he could still attend college he just may not be able to take a full course load.

Part of me doesn't think its all about academics though. I think Zardes and his coach believe staying in school will amount to a higher salary. This isn't college basketball or even baseball where holding out can lead to a higher salary. MLS doesn't have the wages that other pro sports do for young players. $100K is a good offer and I believe most GenAd guys are making between 100-120K correct?

9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always found it funny in school that I got to play with half the team's soccer players because they were looking for any which way to get more time on the ball outside of the allotted time. Whether it was in city leagues or just pick up games. Silly.

10. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    No way its academics...the HDC is located on a college campus!!! If Zardes wanted he could walk to class after/before practice or games lol. Also it can't be the lifestyle, cause nobody wants to live in Bako.....nobody.

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This is a really good point. Plus, both Bakersfield and Dominguez Hills are part of the Cal State system, so there shouldn't be much issue with transferring credits.

Hey you don't know me but you don't like me
    You say you care less how I feel
    But how many of you that sit and judge me
    Have ever walked the streets of Bakersfield?

12. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    good post.

13. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    In general, I think people very much under rate the value of playing in college and over rate the value of training without playing as a pro. But this is a joke. Zardes got the playing time he needed to develop last and he's past that. Financially it is a big risk as the MLS offers are only going to go down the education at Bakersfield could easily be had by walking across the parking lot.

14. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    True. And maybe he came there lookin' for somethin' he couldn't find anywhere else.

15. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Turning down a 100K GenAd deal would be a mistake. There is no guarantee he'll be offered that much next year or even offered a GenAd deal at all (as Clint said see Dillon Powers).

European interest? Possibly but I would think we would have heard something by now. Judging by the fact he was offered 100K deal by MLS I don't think he had any interest at the time to use as leverage. Call me crazy but 100K to play soccer for a living, I know its not "european money" but I'd take it. Isn't Billy Schuler making a similar wage in Sweden? Granted the differences between Sweden and USA, contract length, etc but strictly wage wise I think it is about the same.

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    For me..........it has a lot to do with the age and potential of a player. As well as the quality of the NCAA program. Each situation is different.

I'd rather have some 18 year olds playing full-time at an elite NCAA program than sitting on the bench in MLS. So I'm fine with Alfred Koroma going to Akron for a year or two, for instance, if he doesn't have pro offers that he's happy with.

But Gyasi Zardes is going to be 21 this year. He's supposedly an elite prospect that's gonna be playing in the MPSF. This is not an elite soccer conference. He's not going to learn anything new playing another year against that caliber of competition. He's not going to do anything in his junior year (redshirt junior I think...) playing in the MPSF that's going to increase his value.

I just don't get it. The coach should have been jumping up and down with glee when the kid got a GenAd offer. He should have told the kid to take it immediately...............

17. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    The coach should be using this to help promote his program. Use Zardes as an example that you don't have to go to UCLA, UCSB, or one of the other "big name California schools" to make it in MLS/pro soccer.

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    They did get a really good recruit this year in Christian Duarte from the Texans-Houston.
    (#36 on TDS's prospect list--------subjective of course)

He spent some time at Bradenton with our U17s, and I believe was invited to a recent U20 camp by Ramos.

The also got Oscar Sorto from Pateadores, who's a nice player. He was an all-Western Conference Academy player in 2011.

So Bakersfield seems to be "on the move."

I don't understand this particular decision with Zardes at all, though.

19. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    From Top Drawer Soccer:

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer/college-soccer-latest-news/nid-23881

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  21. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
  22. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
  23. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Watch he is going to do well at Swansea match and finally get snapped up by European team. Blah blah blah from all the haters....... the kid is that good. Just a shame he couldn't leave earlier as a youth.

24. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Yeah, doing absolutely nothing against a bunch of college sophomores to be is usually a good indication that he'll get snapped up by a European team.

People can be realists without being haters. Hard to fathom, I know.

25. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Looking forward to the day when "hater" joins "fanboy" and "mancrush" on BigSoccer's list of banned words.

Winoman repped this.