Gyasi Zardes....any info?

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by JoseDeCuervo, Sep 25, 2011.

1. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may be that the initial pay isn't the hang up. MLS deals won't be for less than 3yrs and likely with unilateral league option(s). It could be that he objects to the contract length, not the sum.

2. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    If the Galaxy still see him in their future plans they'll talk to the league and have them make a GA offer he can't refuse.

3. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Another take on Zardes:

"Zardes is a raw talent with a sturdy body, speed with unrefined technical tools. His touch isn't sharp and he hasn't put his game fully together. There are obvious glimmers of ability, but the sophomore has much to learn and to polish to become successful as a professional. I hope that he trains with a MLS team in the summer to better acquaint himself with the standard that will be expected. Then, after next fall, I expect that he might be ready for a Generation Adidas contract - assuming he commits himself and continues to develop his tactical and technical understanding."

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/coll...2/Joes-Big-Board-heads-to-No-California--Pt-2

4. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Is it just me, or does "100K deal" seem a little strange? Still young (not ready to step right in), not exactly tearing it up in a big college team/conference, La...a team that isn't exactly playing youngsters alot atm.

Has any HG got that kinda of first contract? I know Najar got a raise, but that was a redone contract.

5. Coolwhip

Coolwhip Member

Jun 27, 2010
    MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, I dont believe the 100k rumor at all.

6. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    His goal against Sacramento State:

[ame="http://vimeo.com/30742462"]CSUB v Sac State 10-14-11 on Vimeo[/ame]

8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  9. SoccerBuddy8

SoccerBuddy8 New Member

Oct 11, 2011

Why not? LA-area college talent gets a much closer eye than other college teams. Kei Kamara got similiar offers while he was at CSU Dominguez Hills.

Zardes was a member of the Galaxy's academy team and has been involved with them for a while, so they know him well. I think better than anyone, they know his worth and tried to get him there before he decides to enter the MLS draft and go much higher than the Galaxy can grab him (that is, if he decides to enter the draft).

10. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    I'm pretty sure the only way he can enter the draft is if the Galaxy refuses to sign him.

11. Coolwhip

Coolwhip Member

Jun 27, 2010
    MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe they may have offered him a contract, just not 100k

12. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    No. 5 New Mexico Defeats No. 22 CSUB 2-0

13. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
    i spoke to a college coach who played against him this year and said he is the real deal, especially off the ball intelligent movement to maximize effectiveness of his speed and talent. Of course he will not be as successful against better competition that is to be expected but his quality will still shine through.

14. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    FWIW, topdrawersoccer rates him at #17 among college sophomores, juniors and seniors.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer/college-national-top-100/men

Joe Mauceri doesn't rate him among the top 25 underclassmen.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/coll...id-20160/Top-pro-prospects-tracked-every-week

15. SoccerBuddy8

SoccerBuddy8 New Member

Oct 11, 2011
    i think part of the reason he isn't rated higher nationally is because of lack of coverage for MPSF teams. Other than UNM, they dont' get the love the Pac 10 and Big West get.

16. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Zardes isn't the only American forward in the college ranks with 17 goals.

Memphis has a kid named Mark Sherrod, also a redshirt sophomore, who has 17 goals and 2 assists.

He's a 6-3 forward who grew up in the soccer hot-bed of.... Knoxville, TN, where he scored like a thousand goals or something in HS.

Like Zardes, he's had hat-tricks in back-to-back games. Like Zardes, he missed his first season because of injury and like Zardes he had a decent but not great year as a redshirt freshman before breaking out this season in a big way.

http://www.gotigersgo.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/sherrod_mark00.html

18. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Mark Sherrod scored two more Oct. 29. 19 for the season now.

19. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  20. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    From Ives at Fox Soccer:

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/...-homegrown-player-andy-johnson-houston-020912

21. bajansoccer

bajansoccer Member

Aug 28, 2011
  22. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he will probably go pro very soon.

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    As I said on the Zardes thread on the college board, he is living in a fool's paradise if he thinks he's gonna get more money from MLS by going back to school for another season. in fact, given MLS' track record and well!-earned rep for petty vindictiveness over money, he may get a lesser offer.

The ONLY way he'll get a better offer from MLS is if gets an offer from abroad and uses it as leverage.

24. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Agreed, I also think he never gets a 200k offer, even with leverage. He put up good/great numbers against average competition at best. He should be thankful for a 6 digit offer. Hell the one 200k offer doesn't even look for MLS as we stand now. Doubt they wanna invest that again for something as unproven as Zardes.

Also with the Gals cap situation already as tight as it is, anything non-GA would need to be low. Not to mention the numerous top prospects that share the same position as him that the Gals could/have signed that are younger and cheaper.