Gyasi Zardes....any info?

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by JoseDeCuervo, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Those were both better examples of his skill.

That first goal, he showed a frikkin' cannon with his right foot and the ability to both create a little bit of space to take his shot and to unleash it fast, which will be key for him in MLS.

The second one, taken left-footed, showed nice composure and the ability to hit an accurate shot on the move at an acute angle.

He was marked much more tightly in this game than he was against Riverside, but he still wasn't going against a lot of defenders we're going to be seeing in MLS.

2. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking along the lines of had he been with the team a full year he would've racked up more appearance given the kid seems so talented.

3. Diegan

Diegan Member+

San Diego FC
    United States
    Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UCR's actually doing alright this year.

4. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Those 2 misses at the end were difficult to watch.

6. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Pet peeve: don't call a guy deceptively fast when his speed is f***ing obvious.

7. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    His goal against Sacramento State:

[ame="http://vimeo.com/30265327"]CSUB v Sac State - Goals 10-7-11 on Vimeo[/ame]

9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  10. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    His goal against San Jose State:

[ame="http://vimeo.com/30324415"]CSUB v San Jose 10-9-11 on Vimeo[/ame]

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Gyasi is just a man among boys out there. He needs to go pro just to get challenged by better defenders.

Watching these videos, Bakersfield passes really well for a college team. Nice to see.

Also, the No. 11 kid at left back looks good going forward. Wonder how he can defend.

12. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Agree 100%. #11 is Kory Kindle, who was highlighted along with Zardes by a poster above.

http://mlsdraftscout.blogspot.com/2011/10/tracking-mls-draft-prospects-through.html

From watching CSUB play a bit, their players are good individually, but as a team they're not as structured/organized as the country's bigger programs. If they make the tournament, it'll be interesting to see how they well they hold up.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Couldn't agree more. While watching those highlights I was thinking two things.

1) He looks good, but the defending against him is awful. I wonder how he'd do against better competition?

2) God, I hate Spartan Stadium.

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yeah, it looks even worse for soccer now than it did when the Quakes played there. It looks like they switched to turf, too.

And why is the college soccer team playing in the football stadium? If it's too damn big for an MLS team, it's certainly too big for a college team that will be thrilled to draw 2K a game.

But I digress.

15. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Yep. He's also 20 years old now, so he shouldn't wait much longer to put himself into a pro environment.

16. JoseDeCuervo

JoseDeCuervo Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His coach pretty much said straight up he should leave and go pro. Basically said it was a treat to have him this year, and that he's ready for the next level.

Goal scoring wise, he's still (along with Wenger, who's a threat all over the place) the best American in college right now.

17. SoccerBuddy8

SoccerBuddy8 New Member

Oct 11, 2011
    I heard the following from coaches at CSUB:

Gyasi was offered a full contract after last season by the Galaxy. They offered him a contract for $100k a year.

He turned them down because he would like a European contract.

Gyasi was playing with the Ventura Fusion over the summer when they had a scrimmage against West Brom. Roy Hodgson said after the game he was impressed with Gyasi.

But from what I've heard, he also wants to get his degree, but that's looking less likely with every goal he scores.

As for Kory Kingle (#11), he is getting looks from the US U-20's. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get some caps this spring.

18. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    On Kindle- he was getting looks during this past U20 cycle (he's a '91).

19. SoccerBuddy8

SoccerBuddy8 New Member

Oct 11, 2011
    You're right, that was last year. My years are off. I meant u-23s at this point.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    As with Zardes, it's going to be a very long shot for Kindle or any other current college player to get looks with the U23 team this cycle.

Just way too many players with substantial professional experience ahead of them.

And, of course, it also doesn't help that we A) don't have a U23 coach and B) we don't have any U23 camps or friendlies.:rolleyes:

21. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I wonder what countries he has on his list.

It would be a shame to see MLS lose another top college prospect to a Scandinavian league, IMO.

22. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you guys sure about that? I don't recall Kindle ever being called up by the U-20 team.

I wonder what clubs have him on their list.

I think MLS is always going to lose a minority of college prospects to Europe. For some, playing abroad is just an appealing notion and something they've always wanted to do. For others, they know that European clubs in leagues of equivalent quality to MLS are more apt to sell. MLS clubs have good reasons for rarely selling -- they don't need the money and it's hard to find a cost-effective replacement that fits the team's salary structure under the cap. But that doesn't change the fact that it's harder to move up the ladder when you start here.

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Kindle may have been scouted by Rongen or his assistants, but he never got (an announced) call-up to the U20 NT.

24. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    He's taking quite a risk turning down a $100K deal. While Scandanavian leagues do play established players better than MLS, I'd think that amount of money the Galaxy offered is around what he'd get offered in Europe (if he does get an offer).

And if he doesn't get the type of offer from a Euro team that he wants, let's just say the Galaxy's offer might not be so good the 2nd time around since they'll have more leverage.