Guinness International Champions Cup

Discussion in 'Juventus' started by Dante, May 7, 2013.

1. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so frustrating...

2. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    These guys are tired. The Florida humidity is kicking everyone's asses. To PK's we go.

3. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The result? I could care less. Troubling is that our strikers are not shooting. The only two with hunger for the goal are on the transfer block.

4. OldLady

OldLady Member+

Sep 8, 2011
    Berlin
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  5. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Giovinco might get a second chance.

6. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mother Fu**er! :mad:

7. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Woohoo. We finish 8th in this useless tournament. Let' close the thread.

8. OldLady

OldLady Member+

Sep 8, 2011
    Berlin
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We lost again. :cry: :D

9. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Technically, we had two draws.

10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People can make all the excuses they want, it was a pathetic display.

Supercoppa is next week, here's hoping the team actually puts in an effort.

Daei_10 repped this.
  11. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    So what did we learn?

1. We are out of form. Is it fitness, lack of motivation or combination? We were not sharp at all.
    2. Despite all of the fuss about our new strikers, we still do not shoot the ball. Possession is good but it can be too much at times. We hardly ever counter.
    3. Speaking of counters, we are not defending them well. Too many players caught up field.

This was a vacation trip. Conte had them training hard but they also did their fair share of sight seeing and stuff. Time together builds camaraderie. Now let's get back to work when we return.

12. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Juve's game seems to consist of getting the ball as under control as possible even if it takes bringing it all the way back to the defense or goalie. The defense either sets up the play by passing it to Pirlo, playing it out wide, or forcing it to a forward.

1. If the forward gets it the other needs to be close by because some sort of "flick" is in play. If this what seems to be very low probability play actually comes off, both forwards will be too far from goal to get a clear chance. If the plan is to play the ball into the two forwards interiorly, Vidal and Marchisio need to be more protagonistic. Otherwise, the forwards are isolated.

2. If Asamoah gets it from Chiellini, most of the time he seems content on passing it laterally or back. There are times where he will take on the defender, but he isn't very good at beating a man and following up with a truly dangerous cross. Lich as much as I think he is a workhorse is so limited offensively.

3. Marchisio does well to press and cover spaces, but man does he fail to influence the game or combine with the forwards. He is most dangerous as the third man into the box.

4. The back three and possession style when used can pretty much blunt poor counterattack teams. However, it rarely allows Juve to counter themselves. Not that they are very good on the counter.

As good as I think Juve is, 3 of the 5 midfielders are limited. Despite playing with 3 at the back with wingbacks, their wing play is below standard.

13. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Think about where they have possession, in non threatening areas. In the final third, their possession was quite poor. Furthermore, it allowed inter to sit back in the interior. Since Juve's wing play is so limited, this strategy works.

Between Tevez and Vucinic, I think most of their touches came from on the edge of the final third about 25-35 yards from goal.

The counter is nonexistent it seems because once the opposing team's attack is stopped, instead of rushing up the field with speed, they try to bring the play under control. I'm starting to think that they don't have player that can beat people one on one with speed.

14. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    We just don't play that style. It is not conducive to a poaching striker. That is why I don't expect a lot of goals from any particular attacker.

Now we see why Conte cancelled the tour last year. He knows that coming here will only do so much. Then traveling to China is a killer. Having so many internationals did not help either. He will correct it in the next week.

15. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    Agreed. However, not having a poaching striker doesn't limit other teams from scoring freely or being constantly threatening on attack. Real, Barca, and Bayern have great offensive games that involve forwards scoring freely that are not poachers.

In thinking about the offensive moves as a whole, having three at the back can be quite limiting IF the wingback or center two (Marchisio and Vidal) don't support the top line of two effectively since Juve only have two wide players on the field. The aforementioned teams have much better offensive outside midfielder and outside backs.

Furthermore, their wing players are very effective when moving into the center. Asamoah and Lich are incredibly limited which leaves the collaborative effort on Marchisio and Vidal.

Again, Marchisio does not seem comfortable offensively aside from making runs into the box. The leaves only three players with any creativity (Vidal, Tevez, Vucinic). Since two are forwards, they are drawn out of dangerous positions which limits their shooting options.

I think if this is going to work against better teams, one of the back three needs to constantly push the ball forward further essentially pushing Pirlo up the field to play closer to the strikers. This should push one of the forwards into the box. The danger is if the CB gives the ball away.

This might sound crazy, but I'd love to see Conte experiment with a back three that involves Pogba in the center.

16. Trequartista10

Apr 10, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the game last night. I don't have the time or energy to go into detail of what it looked like in person, and frankly they don't deserve the time. Briefly however, Juve need to play quicker with and without the ball. Inter were able to play 50 yard balls to Palacio, who was the best player on the field, and he out paced our backs for it every time it seemed. The early ball out needed pressure to cut out the back 3's foot races with Roger Palace. This team is not ready.

17. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I agree with points #1 and 3, but can we give the strikers at least five games before we start to criticize them?

18. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    It is not the strikers per se that I am criticizing. What I am pointing out is that regardless of whom we put up front, the system is not designed to see our attackers bombing away.

19. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i keep saying this and will say it again.....we do way too many LONG passes...whether on the ground or in the air. we have a packed formation but yet our players seem so far away from each other. bringing the ball up to the half way line by the center back and sending a long ball to mirko for a flick doesnt work, it has barely every worked and yet we keep doing it. am i the only one that sees this? lol

20. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005

The flicks are really quite annoying. I get playing the ball quickly, but how accurate are those plays? After watching parts of the game yesterday over again and remembering back to the Munich tie, there is a distinctive trade off with playing with two forwards and three at the back. If Marchisio and Vidal play closer to the forwards, Pirlo is left by himself in the middle of the field unless either one of the outside CB's come to join his line. It puts pressure on the CBs to move up the field. You can see Chellini do this quite a bit.

If Marchisio and Vidal sit back and aid Pirlo, there is a huge unfilled area in the center of the pitch between the forwards and midfield. In the first half yesterday, that gap seemed huge. The result seems to be that it helps Juve recover the ball, closes off space for the opponent to run into, and maintain possession. However, the possession is in non-threatening areas, plus the forwards are isolated forcing them to play too far form goal.

I love Pirlo, but if both Vidal and Marchisio play further up, it seems like Pirlo struggles against a team that will press him when alone. If Juve were able to play with one less CB it would allow them to play with another midfielder to help Pirlo. If Juve's winger were better at playing interiorly and not just wide, they could squeeze in to help Pirlo as well. The other option is to have Vidal and Marchisio sit/run on either side of Pirlo and have the wingers collaborate creatively with the forwards (in a 4-3-3). I don't think Lich or Asamoah are very good when doing that aside form maybe getting a cross in.

Daei_10 repped this.
  21. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Did anybody else find Tevez comments that he was about to retire until Juve brought an offer kind of worrying? Considering what a headcase he is anyway, casting further doubt on his motivation has to be a concern.

22. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Did anybody else find Tevez comments that he was about to retire until Juve brought an offer kind of worrying? Considering what a headcase he is anyway, casting further doubt on his motivation has to be a concern.

23. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching him chase the ball keeps me at peace...he was running circles around Vucinic. IMO

gumbacicc and Daei_10 repped this.
  24. Trequartista10

Apr 10, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok back from Miami now, had a blast down there. The only city in this country that feels like a different country. Sat in club level on the same corner Pirlo rang up the post on the free kick. Overall the team plays entirely too slow. Its so slow they are forced to break down all 11 on the other team which makes it more difficult. This coupled with not pressing after the ball is lost leaves gaps the other team can exploit. I realize its a meaningless preseason tournament but I expect the rhythm and flow to be better.

I've seen Llorente play for Bilboa several times. His first touch was always stellar, currently he has elephant touch. Hopefully that's just rust.

Tevez works hard but not once did he receive the ball facing the target, it was always with his back to goal, that's not his game. He's lethal when he finds gaps and spaces and runs at people. Conte I'm sure recognizes this.

I would have liked to see Pogba get some minutes. I'm beginning to think the team may be better with him playing Pirlo's role. It maybe time for them to split time 50/50.

If Man Utd are really offering close to 30 million for Marchisio, Juve should sell, he's good not great. Buy someone like Nocerino and the drop off would be insignificant. I couldn't believe he didn't finish that chance in the 2nd half.

Finally, only Madrid boasted more fan support than Juve on the 2 nights in Miami which was great to see.

My view
    [​IMG]

My beer guy
    [​IMG]

usnroach repped this.
  25. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    OK. Unfortunately I lost you the minute I read replacing Marchisio with Nocerino. Might as well field a traffic cone.

Afghan-Juventus, Daei_10 and Falc repped this.