Guatemala vs Jamaica, USA and Antigua 2012 WCQ (R)

Discussion in 'Guatemala' started by lguti9, Jun 5, 2012.

1. aramada

aramada Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Washington DC
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    I absolutely understand where you're coming from and i agree wholeheartedly that the coach needs to have control, but that was our opportunity to go at them. We were the last of a 5 game mini-tournament in 18 days that Jurgen Klinsmann organized and the Americans were there for the picking. They were tired, had 2 a days non stop, had already played 4 games in 2 weeks, and were on the road. The Americans are familiar with Pappa because of his experience in the MLS and he is the only player we have who DEMANDS respect and attention aside from Ruiz. The problem with him on the bench is that there is no other threat. It's all about whether you percieve the cup to be half empty or half full and i think that we really could have gotten 3 points at home with Pappa in all game.

ChaChaFut repped this.
  2. lguti9

lguti9 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    virginia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Proud of our lads, never gave up. Cha you should have more faith in our Bicolor, i know we're not Brazil, but is our Sele, if we dont support what we have, even if it's lame, who will, tell me who will. But Golazo de Pappa, Almeida was right on benching Pappa on first half, you guys saw how he came in, with a drive to play better, to show Almeida and the rest that he deserves to be in the Sele. Now lets focus on Antigua, looks easy but is not as easy as it seems. To me, thats a game that will change Guatemala's future for the WCQ 2014.

AGUANTE GUATE :cool:

3. lguti9

lguti9 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    virginia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    One thing that scares me is that Almeida might not call Galindo for the next WCQ games, i dont know is just a hunch i have. I hope im wrong, but i think he has Leon back on the pitch.

4. ChaChaFut

ChaChaFut Member

Jun 30, 2005
    I didn't watch it. Was at a bar watching the Miami-OKC game and following the futebol here and at livescores.

jfcule repped this.
  5. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Pajas! Andabas con tu camisola puesta y viendo el partido como los demas aca! :D

ChaChaFut repped this.
  6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy game. Both teams could have won this one with an inch more luck either way. We had the ref call not play advantage on a clear goal chance and guate had a wide open net missed. The fans certainly seemed happy with the draw as teams usually are when they score late.

Don't under estimate Antigua next round. They are a decent side. You should be able to beat them at home but the key is getting 3 points on the road too. If you do that hopefully we will take care of Jamaica for you and it will be

USA 10
    Guatemala 7
    Jamaica 4
    Antigua 1

;)

Johnson is one of the group of German Americans. Was born in Germany, German mom, american dad, played for German youth teams and switched last year to the us squad. He's a left winger/back, much better going forward than defending. Regular starter for Hoffenheim in the Bundesliga. While I can't speak for if we overrate him or not but in my view he's a very good player by our standards.

Don't know if you even wanted to know that haha but now you do. :)

7. drerodz

drerodz Member

Jan 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Like Stefano Cincotta...but with a better NT team. Yeah...I said it.

8. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
    Man, that point scenario would be great. I'm wary of Antigua, I saw them against Jamaica and they didn't look that bad.

Regarding Johnson, makes sense to bring in all the German guys with the Klinsmann connection. He actually was pretty fluid in attack, but Ruiz really did put him to shame on D.

9. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
    If we make it to the hex, we should reach out to Cincotta. Galindo has already proven to be a hidden treasure, might as well try for lightning to strike twice.

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the Antigua-US game. Part of the issue was our guys have been playing like crap since brazil. But part of it was Antigua had a real solid organized gameplan. They had a wall of defenders lined up most of the game. Their problem was they had no idea what to do with the ball when they got it. They usually just booted it out of bounds. Their goal came off a crap breakdown by our defense which is sadly becoming common. They got two dangerous guys in attack black stock and leitgerwood. But the real danger for you chapines would be a 0-0 tie like Jamaica got away.

11. aramada

aramada Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Washington DC
    Club:
    CA San Lorenzo de Almagro
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    In a perfect world, the USA sweeps the double from Jamaica and Guatemala does that with Antigua and Barbuda. IFFF that happens, then as mentioned above it'd be USA 10, GUA 7, JAM 4, ATG 1.

The big big big match in the group though, assuming these results hold strong, would be in the 5th gameday, with Guate and Jamaica facing off in Guatemala. Assuming that Guatemala lose to the USA at home on the last game day and Jamaica beats Antigua in Kingston, this is THE game that determines who moves on. Granted, this is with all of the above conditions met, but still. If we aren't ready to return the favor to the Jamaicans in October at home then our shot at qualifying will be a lot harder. Then we'd have to hope to take advantage of the goalless draw between Antigua and Jamaica and pass on goal differential. basically i'm still hopeful after yesterdays pair of draws and i really hope we push through to the hex. that is all

12. lguti9

lguti9 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    virginia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Well Guate has beaten Antigua before at their own turf on a friendly a couple months ago, if i recall. I think we beat them 3-1

13. Itzallboutgtown

Mar 27, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    I think we should get friendlies vs. TyT and Haiti!! 4 games on their turf!!

jfcule repped this.
  14. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That would be ideal for us, to get used to the type of physical game we'll face.
    I doubt our Fed has that much common sense, though.

15. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
    A few games against Caribbean teams and then one with a South American team to make sure our technical skills don't falter.

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An away game in Haiti might be the creme de la creme of away hostile atmospheres.

17. drerodz

drerodz Member

Jan 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    I 2nd that motion. Specifically T&T we have an on going feud with them. Or even Guadalupe, they have a pretty solid squad.

The thing about Antigua is that they have a WALLED back line and mid. Playing a bunkered 4-4-1-1 scheme. Which so far has worked for them against the 2 most dangerous teams in our group.

Trust me, Antigua is not a sleeper. And even though US fans thought that the US played a bad game, and should've scored way more goals. Their draw against Jamaica is scary and shows that 3-1 US game wasn't just the gringos "playing bad". This bunker defense IS WORKING.

I think Real Corona mentioned it earlier that when they played the US when Antigua got the ball they didnt know what to do with it. Maybe they dont, but our problem is scoring. We'll need to step up our tactical play for these guys in order to create shots and space for shots. But MORE importantly CAPITALIZE on those shots.

If we're trying to get 6 points out of these games we're going to need points on the board.

18. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Not really a feud.

More like they stole our spot on 2006, thanks to Jack Warner.
    From the way they didn't let our defender go back infield during the game at T&T, when they scored....to the way they pressured Mexico into letting them win.
    Former coach Lavolpe admited as much

BallinBear repped this.
  19. drerodz

drerodz Member

Jan 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    We've known that for years...but of course no one will fight it and bring the truth to light.

20. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That's the saddest part. They ********ed us over and we just took it.

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US shouldn't have scored more goals. We only had a few clear chances all game. Part of it was Antigua, part of it was us sucking. You're right, scoring will be a challenge to get the three points. Of course we gave Antigua only one sniff and they took it, so you never know. But they will hunker and hope to smash and grab no question. Still you guys did a pretty good job creating chances against us (granted we weren't bunkering and were playing a game plan of let's see if Tim Howard can boot the ball in bounds. You should be able to grab a result in both games. But should is worth nothing. You have to do it. (captain obvious)

22. BallinBear

BallinBear Member

May 31, 2009
    Yeah, I would like to see a very offensive minded line-up against Antigua. Contreras, Avila and Pappa on the field together should do the trick.

23. lguti9

lguti9 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    virginia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    I wonder if the new guys playing abroad like Arreola and Del Aguila in Eslovaquia or even Henry Lopez playing for Tigres in Mexico.

24. lguti9

lguti9 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    virginia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Another player that we have been asking for the Sele is Jean Marquez, Almeida told him to get his stuff ready like passport and visa. I think he'll get the call up for the second game.

25. lguti9

lguti9 Member

Aug 5, 2008
    virginia
    Club:
    CSD Comunicaciones
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    SELECCIONADOS COMPARTEN CON SU AFICIÓN EN FIRMA DE AUTÓGRAFOS

10 hours 31 minutes ago
    Font size: [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Guatemala, 28 de agosto de 2012. Shell, Banco Ficohsa y Pepsi, patrocinadores de la Selección Nacional de Guatemala, con el afán de acercar a la afición guatemalteca con su selección, promovió hoy una firma de autógrafos, coordinada en conjunto con el área de mercadeo de la FEDEFUT