Guardian 25 Stunning World Cup Moments

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Hideo, Feb 18, 2014.

1. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I know that '66 will appear there. I wonder how even handed that article will be?

2. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    What do you believe will be said about it ?
    - How the Jules Rimet cup was stolen and recovered by a dog
    - the african boycott to that WC
    - how destructive football imposed itself over talent and skillful playing football
    - the match-referee fixing issue that happened there at quarters
    - how a WC champion, is decided over a ball that didn`t go in

:p

Pipiolo repped this.
  3. Hideo

Hideo Member

Newcastle United and Shimizu S-Pulse
    Apr 30, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A bit of less well known history now, to me at least anyway. Austria's wunderteam of the 1930s, or specifically the 1934 World Cup in this case. BY the time of the next World Cup Austria had ceased to exist thanks to the Anschluss so this was the one and only chance for an ethos defining team and for star quality like Walter Sindelar; one of football's early greats.

http://www.theguardian.com/football...nning-moments-austria-wunderteam?CMP=ema_1385

4. Hideo

Hideo Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  5. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  6. FanVideo

FanVideo Member

Apr 26, 2014
    That's just part of the story.
    I've seen this game again a few weeks ago. England should have seen red in min. 41, for an elbow in the face of, who else, Maradona (that was before the HOG). Until that time it had been basically an Argentina show, with England defending very well but practically non-existent in midfield and attack, and Maradona and the others running rings around them. The goals had to come sooner or later. I really can't see them posing too many problems to the argies if they had been one man down.
    Over-all the english were clearly the more unlawful side, and dirtier too, and yes, this includes the infamous goal. Aside of that goal the argies weren't dirty, they didn't need to because they were fantastically good. Besides they did practically all attacking, except for a few minutes towards the end of the game.

This part is rarely if ever told by the british media (it's not "a good read" to their audience). I'm sorry if I ruin some people's memories but that's the truth. You can always watch the game to convince yourselves (it's on youtube).

7. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    From the Argentinian side it's pretty easy to sum up why many enjoyed the first goal. Argentina has for a long time harbored a strong resentment on the one sided nature of Anglo-Argentine relations. Starting from the British invasion attempts during the Napoleonic Wars (or possibly the privateer's targeting Spanish galleons) on through the Anglo-French blockade and being an English client state in the early 1900's (Roca-Runciman treaty) to finally culminate in the Falkland's war. For Argentinians, the English have been characterized as pirates (a nickname they have for the English is "los piratas") who will steal the whole country if they are not stopped. I don't believe myself that this is a completely fair characterization but it is understandable. So after all those years to finally be able to steal something back from the British was supremely cathartic.

Pipiolo repped this.
  8. FanVideo

FanVideo Member

Apr 26, 2014
    That may be so but I don't find it very relevant. What's relevant is that on the whole the english cheated more in that game. I call an elbow in the face of Maradona cheating, and violent one, especially when they get away with it.
    Yeah, I heard this theory that because of the Falklands they were ready to butcher the english on the field. In fact the english were by far more violent. Guess who got the most of this violence ?
    What's also very relevant is that Argentina were a country mile better. You just have to watch the game to see that, it's really obvious.

Pipiolo repped this.
  9. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Top post, @FanVideo. Completely agree on this one, it would have been a greater injustice had England advanced from that game (same as England almost got away past Italy at Euro12, but thankfully Pirlo was there).

10. FanVideo

FanVideo Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Thanks. Glad someone agrees.

11. Hideo

Hideo Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  12. FanVideo

FanVideo Member

Apr 26, 2014
    That's a top 25 World Cup moment ? Yeah right.

I wonder if they'll list Tevez' offside against Mexico last Cup. You know, the one when everything was played on a big screen so everybody could see it. That's one hell of a moment for me. Not sure it's *the* top one but close anyway.

Thinking a little more about it, what would be my top moment ? From what I've seen live, that is starting in 82. Off the top of my head I'd have to say Maradona's century goal. And I'm not even a fan of Maradona. But that goal ... that's quite clearly a display of skill that was never equaled. In the end that's what it's all about.

Pipiolo repped this.
  13. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  14. Hideo

Hideo Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The Miracle of Bern...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/may/06/world-cup-stunning-moments-miracle-of-bern

Of course as great a story as this is, there is one glaring omission which is the apparent considerable evidence of doping in the West German team in 1954. Whether such things were technically against the rules back then I've no idea, so I'll not pass judgment on that. However, it is a fabulous footballing story, and a great shame for an era defining team and legendary player to miss out at the last.

15. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't think it's a fabulous footballing story, the much greater team lost due to circumstances outside of football, many of their own fault. Apparently the Hungarians were enjoying in full the liberties of the West during the tournament, including the day before the final match.

16. Hideo

Hideo Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well that's true yes, though part of the beauty of football is that the greater team doesn't always win, or at least not as frequently as happens in other sports.

I do take your point though - as a fabulous footballing story I meant purely from the point of view of a stunning fight back in a World Cup Final and all the drama that entails.

Pipiolo repped this.
  17. FanVideo

FanVideo Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Yes, the 54 tournament is among the most suspicious ones. Also Puskas was severely and most likely intentionally injured in the first match against W. Germany and couldn't play until the final, and he wasn't fully fit then either.

18. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I have to admit reading the report about the apparent use of performance enhancing drugs by various German teams, including the one that beat Hungary in the final of the 1954 World Cup in what is regarded as one of the most amazing upsets in World Cup history, has made me wonder how much of the World Cup history and pedigree of Germany is built on these kind of things? I am one of those who likes to find inspiration in the amazing consistency of Germany since its first title in 1954, but there isn't anything inspiring in learning that much of the German success may have been due to drug use.

19. Hideo

Hideo Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  20. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If true, it's only WC54 that would be shady - their other wins are blameless, if helped by luck both times.

Fabricated controversy, Ronaldo was outclassed by Zidane and that's the real story that should matter.

21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  22. Hideo

Hideo Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There speaks the Argentine!! ;)

23. Hideo

Hideo Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    El Chuma repped this.
  24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The journey was just as hell the other way around, which is why Argentina and Uruguay forgo going to WCs 34 and 38 (Argentina sent an amateur side actually), missing the opportunity to very possibly win them.

25. FanVideo

FanVideo Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Great story.
    But it only reinforces my view that older World Cups are not to be taken seriously. I'll ad a mention to this on my site.

Pipiolo, no way Uruguay or Argentina could have won in Italy under Mussolini. As I understood, this is the main reason why they didn't go. Plus, of course, retaliation for the fact that the european teams hadn't participated in Uruguay.