Gu Ja-cheol @ VfL Wolfsburg 2011-2012 Part 2 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Sergei Mantis, May 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yahtrickyah

yahtrickyah Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Re: Gu Ja-cheol @ VfL Wolfsburg 2010-2011 Part 2 [R]

Really? I know he failed at Juventus, failed at Wolfsburg, not many important caps for the BNT and is a crybaby.... Maybe that does sound like Chelsea material :p

2. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010

Based on talent alone, he's incredible... He just needs the right manager and environment to perform.

3. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  4. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
  5. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010

I think he will. The article doesn't mention it, but I think Diego crossed the Rubicon during the Weder Bremen match. That well orchestrated act of petulance walking off the pitch in front of his old supporters and showing up Magath when he got substituted was a classic bridge burner. ;)

6. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz

Brazilians, easy going & relaxed, and disciplinarians just don't fit. Chinese companies setting up local offices in brazil (because the local laws forbid the import of chinese labour) are having massive difficulties with .. starting with basic things like the notion of what "being on time" means.

Take that difference and apply it to football and you have a recipie for disaster .. I don't understand why neither Diego and Magath forsaw that they wouldn't see eye to eye.

7. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010

^
    I guess it all depends on context. B/c my experience from working with Brasilians on a few deals have been very different. I was expecting easy going negotiations, because they are so friendly and relaxed. But once negotiations began, I saw how stupid my assumptions were. My Brasilian counterparts negotiate just as hard and are extremely savvy and tough as nails. Business is business, and they're just as serious about making money.

A lot of my friends who've done business in Brasil have shared similar experiences. Figured it'd be some helpful advice if any of you guys ever end up doing business down there. ;)

Getting back on topic, Grafite is going to Dubai to play for Al Ahli. Hope he collects a nice final paycheck. Good luck!

8. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

I know one thing having grown up there...they hate loosing football matches. They take this passion to another level.

Yes, most of other times they are very paced in what they do but when it comes to a football game, they'll find a way to get the game going even if they loose the one ball they had.

9. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz

Sure .. my comment isn't to suggest that Brazilians don't care, anybody who's competent at anything will fundamentally care about that, be it making money or a football game. But that doesn't mean that they'll take every single aspect of their life in the same way .. just like they were easy going up to the point where the money came on the table.

A football specific example would be training. Brazilians generally tend to talk and laugh during training, but someone from the disciplinarian school (eg. Magath) will see it as not caring or being slack. To be fair those skills that come with the label "brazilian" didn't come without practice though so it's a case of perception, but unfortunately perception seems to colour everything about how most people see the world ..

So Magath will see Diego as being slack and not caring, while Diego will see Magath as being a slave driver. Not exactly a recipe for a good relationship .. you'd think that typical brazilians (or other latin footballers) and disciplinarians would've learned that about each other.

10. KyopoOhNo

KyopoOhNo Member+

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  11. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  12. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

nice!
    Make way for GJC!!!

13. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Who does that leave in CM/DM? I know Hasebe is still there... with Cicero out, that leaves 3 (incl Polak) for two spots?

14. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010

I guess this is only a good thing for Koo

15. yahtrickyah

yahtrickyah Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

This is great news :D

KJC in the starting 11 next year. I think Magath had this in mind the whole time :cool:

16. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

They will probably get another good player.

17. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD

Magath bought another young CM from Poland, Mateusz Klich. That makes 4 to fight for 2 spots. But knowing Magath is crazy sometimes maybe another signing or he has a plan already.

18. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010

Don't get ahead of yourself.

Diego is a great footballer. It's a shame that they're going to sell him. And I expect them to go after a big name midfielder in this transfer window. Granted they're not getting CL money, but they still have funds from the Dzeko sale. And they're still VW's club.

19. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz

IMHO if GJC works hard during training and shows his box-to-box capabilities then that'll be a plus point for him in Magath's eyes and might be his ticket to getting a starting spot early in the season, then he'll get to show off his offensive skills and possibly cement himself as a first choice central mid.

20. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

That's an excellent point...I've always appreciated players that are not afraid to play both ends of the pitch.

21. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I need to watch more of this kid. his looks make it easy to prejudge him.

hopefully those looks of LDG cluelessness are misleading. lol

22. yahtrickyah

yahtrickyah Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Whoa now, my comment was half in jest.

But things are going in a great direction for KJC - from Diego leaving, getting rest, a years experience in the Bundes, to Magath not letting him make any appearances for the time being (to assure the rest).

If Diego is a good example of a player that does not fit Magath's personality, then I think KJC is one that will suit him well. Diego may be a good footballer but he's a cancer. I don't think KJC will complain and moan, and looks like a good candidate to take orders from authority without questioning them.

Hopefully KJC be able to take advantage and run with it.

23. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010

Let's hope so. B/c Magath scares me (and I bet he's scary to Koo too [Edit - wow, that was a terrible pun?]). From all accounts, people continue to describe him as a misanthrope. :(

24. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

I'm also a misanthrope but that does not mean you have to be mean to every one.

25. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005

Diego may be a good player but he played like a selfish little biznatch . I wanted to punch him in face everytime I watched Wolfsburg play last year.