Group thoughts ..

Discussion in 'GROUP A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay France' started by N. Platini, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    We talking about the same USMNT that beats Mexico more often than not?

Nonetheless... my statement wasn't about downplaying Mexico (who should be favourites agaist Uruguay and has the best chance in the group to beat France). It was about Mexico's style of play. It gives South Africa the best chance to perform. For South Africa (and South Africa only) Mexico will be the easiest game. Not because Mexico is the weakest team, but because the style of play works to SOuth Africa's suites. If they can't beat Mexico than SOuth Africa probably won't beat anyone.

2. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    My first choice selection of keepers are Khune, Vonk and either Baloyi or Fernandes. Not a fan of Baron or Josephs. Vonk is probably the best keeper we have when it comes to set pieces and strength. Khune is best at distribution and agility. So its a tough choice. As for Baloyi, he deserves to be there cause he doesn't seem to have done much wrong...hes rather consistent and very experienced.

I don't agree that defence is our stronges suite. They can defend well for 85 mins, but really mess things up easily in a matter of seconds...and then panic. They tend to have lapses of concentration. Consentration is one of SA's worst attributes. Masilela is good enough to play at a big team in europe though...

Yes....he is kinda a undiscovered talent. My only real concern is how to play him tactically...in a 4-3-3 maybe as a 3rd striker on the right?
    Whats your take on Elrio Van Heerden Btw?

Benson Mglongo was a big blow when he got tragically injured. We need more physical strong players like him. I'm divided about Mokoena...he's very experienced and does well at times. How much will it unsettle the team by excluding him at this stage? I prefer him as a defender than as a midfielder....many people will agree with you about him though. I think Macbeth Sibaya is a player who can do well for us.

McCarthy to me is an automatic choice. I would play Mphela as the second striker, as long as their is no jealousy between the two players. I know they are rather similar, but too valuable to leave one on the bench. If they needed a hold op, strong player, why not someone like AK47 Sandile Ndlovu?

To me definately not a starting player, but someone on the bench maybe. He needs to earn his place first....He is however a unique styled player for SA i feel...very "european like" in his style...

This is one of the biggest reasons i wanted Lance Davids as a possible wingback...he is short, but stocky....something which is often missing here. What SA lacks in strength, we make up in speed and fitness. My only concern is that the balance is too much toward speedy skillful players. Black South Africans are often generally small, but strong. Almost Chinese and Japanese "sinew" strength. The problem though is weight and momentum of that weight. But one thing i have picked up, is that we lack "leg strength"....They often seem skinny in the legs.

South Africa does definately not have a problem with the amount of choice. Its more a matter of having the right players and combinations. We have like three times the midfielders of the same quality as the normal first team, but its a matter of who to pick and put where.

Interesting players who may or may not have worked well, some of whom are very unconsidered (ignore spelling):

- Delron Buckley (wing)
    - Bradley Carnell (wingback)
    - Siyabonge Nomvethe (wing, striker)
    - Sibosizo Zuma (wing, striker)
    - Hans Vonk (Gk)
    - Mathew Pattison (midfielder)
    - Quinton Fortune (midfielder, wingback)
    - Sandile Ndlovu (Striker)
    - Old John Mabizela (Defender)
    - Moses Spandeel (Striker, midfielder?)

3. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank

We've outscored the USMNT 7 to 1 in our last two matchups. Plus we have a winning record against them, but that's besides the point. Something like 30-14.

Mexico doesn't matchup well against South Africa according to you. Your opinion, fair enough. I was pointing out the fact that you said South Africa are more skilled then Mexico, and if you think you have a single player that's better then either of these guys below, please do tell.

Andres Guardado,
    Giovanni Dos Santos,
    Carlos Vela,
    Rafa Marquez,
    Hector Moreno,
    Efrain Juarez,
    Javier Hernandez,
    Carlos Salcido,
    Temoc Blanco

4. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    In what way better? I said more skilled. Not necessarily better. They have skill, but can lack in so many other departments (concentration, strength, gameplan, vision of the game).
    But still you asked: Steven Pienaar is better than any of the above players. He isn't however your typical South African midfielder...

USA vs Mexico since 1990: 13 wins for USA, 9 wins for Mexico and 7 draws; the 5:0 win for Mexico was against a C squad USA team.

5. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank

So you don't think they're better, you named one decent player, but they're going to win anyway, based on some twisted "Skilled" terminology?

Thanks for wasting my time.

6. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Steven Pienaar is the best player in both teams (you aksed for one player so I responded to your request).
    Apart from that:
    Teko Modise
    Surprise Moriri
    Gert Schalkwyk
    Lebohang Mokoena
    Benni McCarthy
    Lucas Thwala
    Tsepo Masilela
    Matthew Booth

As some point in the past:
    Elrio van Heerden

Possibly:
    Kermit Erasmus
    Franklin Cale

7. Of_Wires_And_Birds

Mar 20, 2009
    Edinburg, Texas!
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I agree with Steven Pienaar.

but the ones I bolded wouldnt even be able to hold Guardado's or Gio's or Vela's jockstrap.

8. Of_Wires_And_Birds

Mar 20, 2009
    Edinburg, Texas!
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    :rolleyes:

9. GolDeLetra

GolDeLetra New Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    The strength of a team is not measured by the number of talented players they have on the squad. The strength of a team is measured by its equilibrium between offense and defense and its ability to produce more collectively than they would have individually. Having said this, I have to say that South Africa has a lot of work to do before the World Cup.

What I saw in the Confederations Cup was a team that had chronic problems in setting up plays and putting the ball on the back of the net. I mean, during the group stage they only managed to score two goals in three matches against teams like Iraq and New Zealand. For a team that is playing in its home turf and in front of its fans this is just not acceptable. Yes, they did advance and played outstanding games against Brazil and Spain, but the bottom line is they would not have advanced against stronger competition. Their defense is solid, but considering that Spain scored five times against them in two Confederation Cup matches, they will have problems against France, Uruguay, and Mexico. I think they will need a lot more than home-field advantage to advance round 2.

10. trojanman1user

trojanman1user Member+

Dec 28, 2007
    The only reason SA is in this competition is because they're the host country- end of story. Even Egypt who didn't make the WC is way better than them.

11. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    This is only half true. South Africa was no1 in Africa just a few years back. What happened with such a talented nation? Did all the talent just dissappear? I would say that confidence and mismanagement at top levels are causing us to be huge underperformers. They are supposed to be at least 4th in Africa if not more. It is obvious that in their overall play (except the important part of putting the ball into the net) that they are far better than their current ranking. They can do things on the ball teams of the same ranking will never do. But again, its the disruptive nature and politics that are causing a lot of pressure on this team to not be where they are supposed to. I feel if they can just stick with the same coach and same base team for a while longer, they will be more consistent.

As for Egypt...I don't like them. But they are better than many teams in the SA world cup. They are supposed to be top10 in the world for me. On their day they can beat real top teams. But i hate how they play....They are a great team, but really have negative tactics. Wouldn't be surprised if they'd beat Mexico at all...I actually expected them to beat England recently, but i suppose England is on form enough....

12. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm betting you only know the players mentioned playing Europe?
    Sundowns is one of the richest teams in Africa. This the the reason some players like Mphela or Gaxa who is supposed to play in Europe, are rather playing in South Africa.
    I bet that some of these unknown players will surprise you.

Moriri's first name isn't "Suprise" for nothing....

13. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Probably never heard or seen any of the players I mentioned.
    But the part that really made me laugh was the suggestion that Gio Dos Santos (playing in Ipswich Town and lately without much success for Galatasaray) is a better player than the former Champions League winner and Portuguese League Golden Boot winner with a consistent goalscoring record in Europe Benni McCarthy :)

If anything I would put Gio in the same category as Kermit Erasmus - potentially great players. Albeit it seems that Erasmus is much more highly rated.

14. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Who would be your starting 11 for SA Maruti?
    And which tactics would you employ?

15. Of_Wires_And_Birds

Mar 20, 2009
    Edinburg, Texas!
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Like the FMF isnt one of the highest paying leagues in the world :rolleyes:
    Most players dont leave the FMF because they well paid in the league.
    and Sundowns wouldnt beat Queretaro in a football match.

I suggest you ask the Gala fans if he's doing good or not.

and Gio's accomplishments:
    FIFA U-17 Silver Ball: 2005
    FIFA U-20 Bronze Ball: 2007
    CONCACAF Gold Cup Most Valuable Player: 2009

Kermit Erasmus's accomplishments:
    ... none

and as for Benni McCarthy, since he's about the same age as Rafa Marquez, he has nothing on Rafa's trophies.

Benni McCarthy:
    Ajax
    Eredivisie: 1997-98
    KNVB Cup: 1997-98, 1998-99
    Porto
    Portuguese Liga: 2003-04, 2005-06
    Portuguese Cup: 2005-06
    Portuguese Supercup: 2003-04, 2004-05
    UEFA Champions League: 2003-04
    Intercontinental Cup: 2004

Rafael "El Kaiser" Marquez:
    Monaco:
    Ligue 1 (1): 1999–2000
    Super Cup (1): 2000*
    Coupe de la Ligue (1): 2003*
    Barcelona:
    Spanish League (3): 2004–05, 2005–06, 2008–09
    Spanish Cup: (1) 2008–09
    Spanish Supercup (3): 2005, 2006, 2009
    FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2009
    UEFA Champions League (2): 2005–06, 2008–09
    UEFA Super Cup (1): 2009
    Individual
    Best defender in the French league in the 1999-2000 season.
    Best North American football player in 2005.
    3rd Most Popular Player in the World in 2006 (IFFHS).
    Nominated for the 2007 FIFA World Player of the Year, in a list of thirty players.
    Winner of Free Kick Masters 2008.
    :cool:

16. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    You missed a couple of McCarthy's achievements:
    1998 Golden Boot African Cup of Nations
    2003-2004 Golden Boot Portuguese League
    2006-2007 Silver Boot Premiership

I'll give you Marquez (just for the sake of it), but you are using a diversion.
    It was you that stated that McCarthy is not worthy of cleaning Gio Dos Santos's shoes...

---

Kermit Erasmus:
    Nominated CAF Young Player of the Year

Both Gio and Kermit are on FIFA's list:
    http://www.boxofficefootball.com/top-40-young-players-in-world-football-by-fifa/

17. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Would Queretaro beat Totenham or ManU?

18. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank

Let me guess, they were friendlies? lol

The FMF has an entire list of friendlies with great results against top european teams.

The real results are in the South American tournaments (Sudamericana, Libertadores) in which the Mexican teams do exceptionally well.

Not to mention the absolute dominance that they enjoy in the North American "Champions league". They're winning that tournament with 'B' squads.

19. WCOASTAZTEC

WCOASTAZTEC New Member

Feb 25, 2010
    L.A.
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Group thoughts ..From a Mexican Perspective.

As a backer of Mexico I humbly believe this group is one of the toughest. First of the Host nation South Africa who is not threatening from a futbolistic point of view more of a political threat FIFA is FIFA right.. Just ask the France as the team that always manages to qualify and land easy groups, and usually advances to the next round and so forth, and the weakest of the South American teams Uruguay who Mexico will have to beat in order to advance.

If all goes well and no funny business happens I say "Mexico and Uruguay" are set to advance. But FIFA is FIFA so we will have to see. Good thing that All eyes will be watching for anything fishy.;)

20. WCOASTAZTEC

WCOASTAZTEC New Member

Feb 25, 2010
    L.A.
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    SOUTH AFRICA is a disaster they will lose to Mexico and if they dont get theyre sh**t straight maybe to france and Uruguay.. Let the past be the past...

21. Of_Wires_And_Birds

Mar 20, 2009
    Edinburg, Texas!
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah i think they could, granted it be Preseason :cool:

22. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    Re: Group thoughts ..From a Mexican Perspective.

I think this is one of the main reasons Sepp Blatter doesn't want to have goal line cameras added so the currption and favortism can live on. Cameras don't lie the uefa does

23. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    No, Mexico decided to enter their teams in england :rolleyes:

They weren't anything....im asking you wether Queretaro could beat them? Just like you say Sundowns won't beat Queretaro

24. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Re: Group thoughts ..From a Mexican Perspective.

Actually, it has been considered over and over by a panel of experts that its not in the best interest of the game to bring in cameras yet. If technology gets a small foothold, the human element of the game will become less and less - the ref's authority will be undermined. You will also have many interuptions in the game.

I do believe that if they approach it like tennis, being able to allowed to querie one, two or three dubious deicions by the ref, then maybe it will work. But imagine Italy/Algeria/Egypt on a field where technology is introduced....they will destroy the game with their negative tactics.

25. NachoNation

NachoNation Member+

Jun 19, 2005
    GOAT Puzzle
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Forget the names on the jersies for a sec and look through the bird's eye.

It's going to be Mexico and South Africa advancing out of the group.

France has been lackluster.

Mexico seems to getting hot in time.

The hosts always advance.

Mexico has advanced since 86.

Both Mex and SA are accustumed to altitude. This will be big for both teams.

Uruguay will put on some interesting performances and end up third. Counter attack footie and officiating will spare them the Frog's fate.

It's not sexy but probably how it will break down.

Euros will talk down where this cup stands against other cups.

Heard it here first.