Group thoughts ..

Discussion in 'GROUP A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay France' started by N. Platini, Dec 4, 2009.

1. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Makes things interesting though...cause i consider Mexico and SA both to be teams playing "Arsenal football" - being carpet football instead of in the air. I wonder who will outclass the other team :D

But my question is...does Mexico consider SA a big enough team to lift their game as you say? I would say SA thinks that of Mexico ;) and thus will lift their game...

2. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    of course

when it comes to the WC, EVERY team is a big team

especially with SA being the host and all

i expect the opener to be a great game

3. GolDeLetra

GolDeLetra New Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Tricky is best word we can use to define this group. South Africa seems to be the weakest team in the group, but if they can play like they did against Brazil in the Confederations Cup they have a chance to advance. Based on individual talent, France is the strongest team in the group, but can they play well as a group? Uruguay is a scrappy team which has no problem finding the back of the net. Mexico is another scrappy team which always finds a way to advance out of group stage, regardless of the competition. I am carefully picking Mexico and France (in no particular order) to advance, but there should be some surprises in this group.

4. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Final Standings:

France 7 pts
    South Africa 6 pts
    Uruguay 4 pts
    Mexico 0 pts

5. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank

lol

6. GolDeLetra

GolDeLetra New Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    I am not disputing the group order, but there is no way Mexico is going home with three losses. They advanced to knock-out stage in their last four world cups, and in three out of four of these cups they had at least two European teams in their group.

7. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Its 5 for 5 since 1986.

8. big20ugly

big20ugly Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Denver
    especially angola. mexico will advance at the expense of sa and france. france doesn't have zidane this time and will struggle like they have been

9. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    The more I think of the sequencing of games for Mexico, the more I like it. Mexico is lucky not to face the host nation in the last game, and is lucky not to face France in the last game. Given France's recent history, that last game is when they are most likely to show up.

10. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    I hope the refs don't do us dirty cause of favorism for bigger powers and the host

11. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    After what I saw of the Uruguay vs. Switzerland and France vs. Spain matches, this group just got a whole lot more interesting.

Mexico was always going to dominate and beat New Zealand--even more so in front of 90K of its own fans. I still like them to advance out of the group.

But if you saw Uruguay--they just tore up a solid Switzerland side (in Switz) with their possession and passing. They didn't have to resort to long balls for Forlan and Suarez the way they did for most of qualifying.

Uruguay looks like a team with good mojo right now. Disfrutando su futbol.

I had it rock solid as Mexico-France finishing 1-2 in this group, but doubt has at least been put in my mind now.

This is not your father's thuggish Uruguay of Eber Moas & Co.

France is going to find them very difficult in the opener, and if Uruguay still have something to play for in the last game, I don't see Mexico steamrolling them at all.

Unlike Mexico and France, Uruguay have almost no depth at most positions, and one or two injuries up front would be disastrous, but I think their best 11 healthy and in form could make this a three horse race.

12. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    If you define the group of death as the group where any team has a legitimate chance to not only qualify, but do so in 1st or 2nd, then this would be it.

13. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

True dat

14. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    emmex: Could you comment on the players going to Brazil? Who should make the squad, why and so forth:

Goalkeepers - Emille Baron, Itumeleng Khune, Moneeb Josephs

Defenders – Matthew Booth, Lucas Thwala, Siyanda Xulu, Siyabonga Sangweni, Siboniso Gaxa, Bongani Khumalo, Innocent Mdledle

Midfielders – Teko Modise, Surprise Moriri, Gert Schalkwyk, Siphiwe Tshabalala, Thanduyise Khuboni, Reneilwe Letsholonyane, Lance Davids, Lebohang Mokoena, Tlou Segolela, Daine Klate, Andile Jali, Franklin Cale, Daylon Claasens, Thulasizwe Mbunyane, Thabo Nthethe

Strikers - Richard Henyekane, Katlego Mphela, Thulani Serero, Kermit Erasmus

15. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    I will not comment on my final squad, but based on the current people going to brazil: - many of my first team choices are in europe or at home...

the greens are definates
    the oranges are maybes

Some players i am not sure about cause i dont know enough about them

Goalies: Itumeleng Khune - Best distributor of the ball than anyone i have ever seen as a goalie....Cons: small and suspect at set pieces

Defenders:

Matthew Booth
    - over 2m's - set piece defender - captaincy skills
    Lucas Thwala
    - he impressed me recently by scoring regularly as a defender and is good with heading the ball into the goal.
    Siboniso Gaxa
    - Rated as one of our best at Confed - very consistent - need to cross the ball more though
    Lance Davids* - they tried him as a wingback and i would change him into this also, instead of normal average midfield role. Physical player and highly rated.

Midfielders:
    Teko Modise
    - When on form, very good. Should calm down a bit though
    Surprise Moriri
    - when on form and in the right mindset, potential to be a world class player - extreme abilities
    Gert Schalkwyk
    - i rated this guy for years even when he still played for Bloemfontein Celtic. Scored two goals when he had one chance to prove himself
    Siphiwe Tshabalala
    - he saved our buts a few times with free kick goals

Reneilwe Letsholonyane
    - a physical player that is lacking in SA recently. Very workmanlike and things happen when he plays.
    Lance Davids - *see defender position above
    Lebohang Mokoena - he never appealed much to me except for his one game to prove himself (against Namibia) and he proved me wrong as a critic - fast and skilful - not a natural striker nor winger though, but may work in certain setups - like a "Bernard Parker" role...
    Franklin Cale - extremely highly rated by many in SA - not me. Has talent for sure and can cross the ball..and is physcally strong and can even score goals...but i keep having the impression this is short term hotness...
    Daylon Claasens - found nothing wrong when he played some of the games for SA....

Strikers:
    Richard Henyekane
    - very speedy - but still not convinced 100%
    Katlego Mphela
    - our best player atm - this guy must play in europe - he reminds me of Eto in his style of play
    Kermit Erasmus - havent seen much, but impressed me when he played for SA...very skillful but may potentially be selfish - maybe we need this kind of striker in our team though cause he is rather different to our normal kind from what ive seen....

would like to hear your input Maruti...

16. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    My observations:
    Khune should be the first choice keeper, albeit due to the height issues of the South African defence there should be a tall keeper when playing against tall teams. Maybe Emile Baron (190m) or Fernandez (189). Definitely not an area I would be worried with.

Defence is South Africa's strongest suite. They will be hard to break down, whilst players like Masilela and Thwala will shock the world as to how good they are. I actually think Lucas Thwala is one of the most promising left-backs in the world and he would do just fine in most top clubs in Europe.

I am extremely happy that Schalkwyk has finally been given a chance in the national team. He may very well be South Africa's surprise package. A brilliant player and I am shocked as to why he has hardly played for the national team. Also the fact that he never played outside of South Africa shows how poor scouts in Europe are... He is extremely consistent (unlike Modise or Moriri). Problem at the moment is that there are so many good midfielders and its just a question of molding a midfield that will work... Unlike most African sides South Africa's biggest issue in midfield is not with attacking midfielders, but with DMs/holding midfielders. Mokoena just doesn't cut it and I always feel as if Mokoena is South Africa's weakest player on the field... My ideal midfield would be: (mysterious superb DM) - Moriri - Pienaar - Schalkwyk (plus an immensely creative bench).

Up front is the biggest issue - getting a front two that work (RSA need to play with two strikers, cuz 1 won't cut it).

BTW Erasmus has made quite a name for himself at Excelsior... for an extremely unselfish player. He has actually ratched up an impressive amount of assists in the league apart from his 10 goals.

---

Another issue RSA have to work at is the strength of the players. Apart from Booth, McCarthy and Mokoena most other South African players near the national team are short, skinny and not too powerful. A typical South African player is 170-175 cm and not very physical - all silky skill, not aggresiveness. This can make the team hurt against very physical sides, like Italy or Germany. I actually think that Mexico should be South Africa's easiest game and should be a win for South Africa (Mexico is similarly short, open, but don't have as much skill as the South Africans).

My assessment:
    - RSA need a strong good DM (Mokoena is subpar);
    - RSA need to work at making an attacking duo - at the moment I think it should be either Mphela or Erasmus behind McCarthy;
    - Schalkwyk should be made a key first team player and RSA big surprise for 2010.

17. fireEagleCuauhtemoc

fireEagleCuauhtemoc www.twitter.com/alonsobueno1

Jul 23, 2007
    chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Iam more worrieda bout URUGUAY then France, does that sound crazy? but its true.

For URUGUAY to b*tch slap Suiza in their own home 3-1, takes a monster cold hearted team.

18. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank

Have you ever seen Mexico play? It doesn't sound like it.

19. fireEagleCuauhtemoc

fireEagleCuauhtemoc www.twitter.com/alonsobueno1

Jul 23, 2007
    chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    lol!

20. Of_Wires_And_Birds

Mar 20, 2009
    Edinburg, Texas!
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    South Africa doesnt have 1/8th the skill Mexico has :cool:

but I am as terrified of South Africa as I am of New Zealand ;)

21. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Yeah right...
    I'm sorry but the New Zealand comment is totally ignorant. New Zealand could not play an open game with Brazil. South Africa can.

You may not like my comment, but I wasn't speaking to you. South Africa are the most talented African side in terms of dribbling and passing skills, but are immense underachievers at the same time.

Sorry I irked you, but well... it's my opinion and we'll see how that pans out.

22. Of_Wires_And_Birds

Mar 20, 2009
    Edinburg, Texas!
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Lmao no Cote D'Ivore?

1st host to not make out of the first round will pan out very well.

23. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Cote d'Ivoire has other attributes. Ball passing and dribbling - South Africa is second to none. Problem is that this tends not to really lead to anything... South Africa may very well lose all 3 games, but they will be quite impressive with their dribbling and passing play.

But well... you know nothing hence you comment.

You could at least refrain from ridiculing the team you know nothing about (and which by the way thrashed Mexico they last time they played).

24. MachoRhombus

MachoRhombus Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    And we thrashed Brazil and Uruguay the last time we played vs them but noone cares about that right now. It's been a long time since our last match.

25. Of_Wires_And_Birds

Mar 20, 2009
    Edinburg, Texas!
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Well coming from someone who's not so far up his ass about Africa, I will tell you this, Mexico has consistently performed against Brazil. We actually beat them. You're team is at best on par with the USMNT, and Mexico has better skill and passing the South Africa, but we'll see come the opening game of the WC