Group thoughts ..

Discussion in 'GROUP A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay France' started by N. Platini, Dec 4, 2009.

1. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    South Africans , Mexicans , Uruguayans , Frenchies .. You guys happy/disappointed/content with the draw ?

From a french point of view it could've ended up alot worse , so I guess I'm happy . But in saying that I fully expect this group to be challenge , especially depending on which France shows up . ( We are notorious for slow starts in tournaments )

2. PanchoM

PanchoM Member

Nov 3, 2001
    PalmsPlace
    For me ,
    South Africa vs. Mexico

I don't like playing the first game against the host , but such is life.
    The first game is imensly important it can make and unify a team or it can fracture them. I am convinced we can win this group and avoid Argentina this time , but playing against Argentina is also a good proposition .

France vs Mexico will be an intresting game. I hope Henry will have his hands tied :p . just kidding ........

Uruguay vs Mexico neither team will finish with 11 . We usually play to our oponents level and we will be hacking at their leggs before the end of the 1st half .

3. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You'll find Henry offsides half the time.

4. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Doable for South Africa. Last game they played with Mexico the Africans won (at the Gold Cup) and won convincingly. South Africa was already going downhill by then and the team is more or less the same.

Given the additional local benefits I wouldn't count RSA out yet. But if they lose the opener they are gone.

5. alianza4life!

alianza4life! Member+

Feb 21, 2008
    hackensack,nj
    i think france will go first and uruguay second.

6. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    i think this is the toughest group if you look at it that all the teams have a chance of going to the next round. and it's also the most unpredictable.

all 4 teams have struggled in the past 2 years. mexico had a horrendous start to their qualifying. both france and uruguay can consider themselves lucky that theyre even in the tournament. and south africa went from parreira to santana to parreira -- and looked decent in the confed cup (for once). to me it's a group of death and a group for redemption. because the teams in this group can play much better than what they're currently showing.

to me, it's still too early to really make a prediction. but with one caveat -- if france are full-strength and gourcuff starts, they should win this group. but who knows.

7. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought South Africa made a decent run at the Confed Cup last year. With that home field advantage, nothing is assured for Mexico and France, the two favorites.

8. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    for sure were going to the next round

9. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    The high altitude won't work against us

the 90,000 crowd won't either

we also have a lot of WC veterans

10. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    Convincingly? They won by a goal against a depleted Mexican team that let most of their starters rest because of their Confederations Cup a month earlier. The truth is that Mexico is part of only a handful of teams that have made it out of the group stage during the last 4 world cups (against much harder groups) and I think they are favored to qualify from this one. The host has always made it out of group play but the host has never been this bad and the host's group has never been this good. The last time Mexico face Uruguay, Mexico beat them 3-1 at Copa America 2007. On top of that, Uruguay was having trouble against a Costa Rican team that Mexico scored 5 goals in two matches against. While Mexico started the qualification process in horrible form, in the last 6 months, they have been the best team in Concacaf and this momentum is what matters.

Mexico and France are the favorites to advance, but you never know what will happen, its all part of the game.

11. trojanman1user

trojanman1user Member+

Dec 28, 2007
    good luck with that

12. NachoNation

NachoNation Member+

Jun 19, 2005
    GOAT Puzzle
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The horns won't either. We're used to those as well.

I'm worried about the refs favoring the hosts.

If you take that out of the equation. It's pretty easy to say that it would normally be France and Mexico to advance from a group like this.

13. ninjew

ninjew Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Discordia 2.0
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    This group is easily the most difficult of the bunch. All other groups have 2 teams that are better than the other 2. In this group, France is the biggest with Mexico and Uruguay trailing historywise and South Africa being the host. Theres just too many factors. Of course football tends to be spontenous in respect to outcomes. So I guess its more mental than physical.

Good luck to my home country... Mexico!!!!!

14. socluis90

socluis90 Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    France and Mexico advance.

Mexico beats the Argies in the RO16

15. wolf6656

wolf6656 New Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Canada
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Uruguay and Mexico. France is DONE. They won't get a single borderline call to go their way, especially against the hosts.
    If Mexico doesn't go on, it will be because of the first game and the hosts will go instead.
    Uruguay is going to the quarter finals so get used to it.

16. hEireann

hEireann New Member

Dec 4, 2009
    South Africans , Mexicans , Uruguayans - BEWARE. Henry likes to get up beside the posts, control the ball with his forearm and palm it for a simple knock in. He should have his hands cable tied before all games.

17. bigworm

bigworm Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm impressed that FIFA actually drew this group. When you include the fact that SA is the host and will get calls, this group is solid from top to bottom. I'm interested in this group mainly because I have a ticket to Mexico vs Uruguay, but I will also be watching to see how the refs handle France.

18. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    the french wont get out of group stage

its 2002 all over again

19. M.O.T

M.O.T Member

May 9, 2008
    I think this will be the most interesting group.

All teams (except Uruguay) should make it pass the group.
    1. France will be expected to go on
    2. Mexico always seem to find a way to go on
    3. The hosts always go on

I have no Idea what will happen. I would hope that SA manage to get the opening day win, thus putting pressure on Mexico to get a win against France (which they are capable of), and France slipping up against either SA or Uruguay thus letting Mexico and SA go on....

20. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Its a good group. I like that France is there mostly because if you can't beat quality teams then you can't win the cup. Lets see what these teams are made of, and I hope Mexico does well :)

21. Kur #10

Kur #10 Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Mexico Citay
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    In 2002, both Uruguay and France shared a group with Senegal and Denmark which strikes a funny resemblance with this 2010 group.

Just to refresh your memory, both Denmark(7pts) and Senegal(5pts) left Uruguay(2pts) and France(1pts) behind back then.

I agree with several people who say this is the most unpredictable group.

One thing is for sure though, no team will be anyone elses pushover.

South Africa, all I know is they're below most of their African counterparts and they didn't impress much at the Confederations Cup, they had several errors at defense from what I remember as well. I also recall them not having McCarthey, will he be at the World Cup? Mexico, Uruguay & France should only worry about themselves and their own mental stability while playing against the home team, if they succeed in winning with the mind, they'll probably beat South Africa easily.

Mexico has come out of every group stage in the last 4 World Cups, and they've played solid football in these past WC's against teams like Italy (2 times), Netherlands, Germany and Argentina amongst others. A team who's just barely been brought back to life thanks to Aguirre, a team who's results have depended mostly of two of their major stars: Dos Santos and Blanco.

Uruguay has an awesome team but they don't really show the results you'd expect. They're pretty dirty and like to leave their soul on the field. Like Mexico in these past qualifiers, they were quite irregular. You never know... but beware their biggest difference maker, Forlan.

France with Domenech is not the real France. A lot of people DO NOT want to see them in the next round and Henry will either want to redeem himself or piz his pants. If France picks up their level though, beware. Anelka has impressed as of late and Gourcouff is key as well.

22. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Mexico did not get a legit handball call/PK against the US in 02. France qualified with the illegal help of Henry's hand. If the soccer gods believe in karma, Mexico will score an illegitimate goal to defeat France and balance the scales of justice. How sweet would that be?

I think this is the most interesting and complicated group, not necessarily the hardest.

23. Narc83

Narc83 Member+

Jul 21, 2007
    Phoenix
    What planet are you from? I doubt you even watched that game because it was a long fkn time ago and Mexico sucked the whole time (no rafa, no cuauh, no torrado, no ramoncito = epic fail).

It was 3 gold cups in the past and there was nothing convincing about s. africa's win (zombie 2-1 loss). The squads for both teams are going to be radically different because it will be 5 years from the start of the world cup 2010.

The 2005 gold cup was not taken seriously by anyone because it was meaningless (after the 2005 confederations cup and the 2007 Gold cup was used as the qualifiying tourney for the 2009 confederations cup not the 2005 version).

South Africa has homefield advantage and thats it, they will be hard pressed to even win one game. Its possible they make the 2nd round but its highly unlikely.

24. mnoh312

mnoh312 New Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    yea France are slow starters but they will find their form maybe after first match, they have too many world class players on the field and on the bench. Too much talent for any of these teams can handle.

Mexico is getting back to their stride, but not so consistent, easily beatable side.
    Uruguay barely qualified, I dont know why John Harkes picked them to go to semi finals but they probably fall off on group stage.
    SA has a very good chance, home advantage is huge in world cup, I feel like with Parreira + 6months + massive home advantage will carry them through this round.

France beats teams comfortably to go through
    SA wil take 2nd

25. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    The win was convincing. SA was two goals up and the Mexico goal was a consolation goal. For the most time SA looked more likely to score a third.