Group G (USA, FRA, COL, PRK) [R]

Discussion in '2016 Olympic Women's Soccer Tournament' started by Lusankya, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    For clarification: The South Korean flag was shown in a pre-recorded player presentation that had been sent from the central organisation in London to be shown during the warm-up. The issue was nothing to do with flags flown at the venue, the flag on the field during the line-up was the North Korean one, the flag shown for 45 minutes on the large screens was the North Korean one. So nobody would have to have "saluted" any enemy's flag.

2. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I read there was also a South Korean flag in the player's tunnel.

3. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Really? Was that shown on TV? We didn't see it from the stands, obviously, nor in the pre-match footage.

4. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I saw it on ard.de (so not some nonsense source)
    http://olympia.ard.de/london2012/allemeldungen/falscheflagge101.html

They say: "Zudem soll am Eingang des Spielertunnels eine südkoreanische Flagge gehangen haben." So it's not a confirmed fact.

Anyway I think there was no other way for the North Korean team and staff to react.

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  5. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    You seem to be suggesting that I don't believe that it happened. I'm not questioning the info, but I'd like to have *seen* it. We even missed the flags on the large screen. With all those photographers there, you'd think one of them would have gotten a snap other than the photo of number 16 that everyone is reproducing :rolleyes:.

6. Greg_G

Greg_G Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Some absolutely beautiful soccer being played by the US right now against Colombia. The type of movement and passing that many seem to think them incapable of.

7. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, when you're talking about a country like North Korea, who is (I believe) technically at war, you might want to make sure you don't post the flag of the country with which they're at war...

guignol repped this.
  8. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two goals in three minutes. Yeah, that'll work :)

9. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Is that why every highlight package comes with more bodies on the ground than a bad night in Rwanda :rolleyes:.

I haven't watched them yet, but I seriously doubt the Olympics is about to bare witness to the US girls leading their sport towards a new dawn in technical ability.

I didn't see the non union version of France blow their first test, so I think I'll give today's game vs North Korea a go, just to see what Bini is doing to his team. 2-0 to 4-2 :confused:.

10. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A: [Some band] is playing a cover of [a Beatles song] and they're doing it pretty well! I think it's pretty cool since many people seem to think them incapable of playing [said Beatles song].
    B: Is that why every highlight package comes with more screeching on the ground than cats being murdered? I haven't listened them yet, but I seriously doubt the music world is about to bare witness to [some band] leading the industry towards a new dawn in music, surpassing the Beatles, Elvis, Apollo, the Greek God of Music, and the chorus of a thousand heavenly angels!!!!!!!111!!!!!!

11. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    So, take a shot every time Cat Whitehill mentions Bompastor?

12. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Bompastor, that was a shocking challenge. Should have been straight red, but no foul was given at all.

ETA: upon further consideration, I think that was Soubeyrand.

13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    New keeper for the French?

14. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    France (Bruno Bini):
    11 Marie-Laure Delie
    17 Gaëtane Thiney, 9 Eugénie Le Sommer
    6c Sandrine Soubeyrand, 14 Louisa Necib, 15 Élise Bussaglia
    8 Sonia Bompastor, 2 Wendie Renard, 4 Laura Georges, 7 Corine Franco
    18 Sarah Bouhaddi

North Korea (Sin Ui Gun): (approximate, from NBC and ESPN)
    20 Choe Mi-Gyong, 10 Yun Hyon-Hi
    6 Choe Un-Ju, 7 Ri Ye-Gyong, 8 Jon Myong-Hwa, 12 Kim Un-Hyang
    2 Kim Nam-Hui, 3(c) Kim Myong-Gum, _ Choe Yong-Sim, 5 Yun Song-Mi
    1 Jo Yun Mi

15. shreddir

shreddir Member

Mar 15, 2005
    koreans are shorthanded without their scorer kim song kwee(?) from the colombia game-injured.
    Hope my girl Necib can get a goal.

16. Greg_G

Greg_G Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, if you had bothered to watch them before commenting, you would have seen...

1) Colombia antagonizing American players every chance they got, including hitting Wambach from behind with what could only be described as a wrestling move called a clothesline.

2) Some beautiful off the ball movement, first touches, and pinpoint passing.

You might also want to get updated on the situation in Rwanda. You're about a decade and a half behind on your stereotyping there.

17. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I think it was Delie

18. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    14' 0-0 Probing. Early France pressure & possession ran into a white wall. Now DPRK are starting to outrun France in midfield. Not any more elegant in passing, but they can run ...

16' 0-0 DPRK chip long from behind midfield left down box left. #4 Georges taps it over. DPRK left corner, #6 Choe Un-Ju curls into scrum, France clears.

17' 0-0 DPRK sustain pressure in France's half, very active. France finally pass to midfield, Necib picks it up and switches to right touch.

19. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why is there a commercial break in the middle of the first half?

20. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    18' 0-0 Delie waits for a harmless high bounce at 35m center. Awkward touch somehow springs a 1-v-1 toward box top arc left. #17 Thiney can't outrun the last defender, who passes square out of trouble. Overcast and drizzling/raining.

19' 0-0 DPRK body-check somebody at 6 mowed stripes wide right. Free kick pings around, France switches to left touch. Bursts into left corner, wins a corner.

20' 0-0 France left corner is comically bad, behind the goal all the way. Rain has sucked all of the beautiful out of France's ping.

21. Greg_G

Greg_G Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The NBC networks will do that. There is an official Olympic Soccer Channel from NBC that doesn't cut to commercial though.

22. shreddir

shreddir Member

Mar 15, 2005
    scramble in front of korean goal. Just showed Pia taking notes in the stands.

23. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Korea is making France look pretty disjointed.

24. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    23' 0-0 France right corner to 6-top left post, headed back to right post, beats #1 Jo, but #5 Yun Song-Mi is on the line covering the post, and heads it wide. Necib(?) slides and hooks it to 3m center, DPRK hip-shield just in time to stop a dunk, and clear.

24' 0-0 DPRK chip long, bounces at box top 6-left. #4 Georges back-shields the lone FW from the ball. #18 Bouhaddi comes out to 14m, tries to slide but slip-slides instead, goes right under the ball and it pops loose. The DPRK forward lunges back and pokes a backpass to 22m box left. Trailing teammate one-touch insteps a roller with perfect rightward curl, around still-down Bouhaddi and bends on-frame, but #2 Renard has come across and gathers it at the left post.

25. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Blood on the n Korea players knee has to be wrapped. It was the knee that Delie clipped with her studs up challenge.