1. bunkmedal

bunkmedal Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    The thing about Portugal is that they struggle to break down minnows, but they're also extremely hard to beat themselves. They're the sort of team who might go out in the group stages, but if they scraped through they might go all the way in the knockout rounds.

2. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    I agree. But my thing is that North Korea might actually fancy their chances for a result against Portugal. And that would put the group on its head... I fancy North Korea to pull off at least one draw at the tournament.

3. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    yeah but once you get down to the bottom, it's irrelevant. there's like 15 african teams in a row ranked in the 110s -- the difference in ranking there is often just that one team had one more tie in a competition. hardly something that really makes much of a difference. i think the result has a lot to do with the colonial thing and the fact that portugal didn't care about the game for the first 70 minutes or so.

4. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    i find that extremely unlikely. i see no difference between north korea and china in 2002. the lowest ranked asian team in the World Cup has always been destroyed and i see the same thing happening this time. i mean saudi arabia only managed a draw in the last WC because they were playing tunisia, a team that historically has been one of the weaker african teams to make it (i know they won the ANC but that was at home). they also drew previously in 98 against South Africa, which was a pretty poor team then. i mean, i just find it very doubtful. maybe if this group had another below average team, then yes. like if it had honduras or slovenia, but it doesn't. i see north korea maybe losing 1-0 or so, but that's about it honestly.

5. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Still... you can see what Argentina did with Canada... 5:0 thrashing. African sides are generally underrated in the FIFA ranking due to the way the system works (basically all the African teams are pulling themselves down the ranking, because the team are much more evenly balanced than in i.e. North America or in Europe). Still you have 23 African sides in the first 100 and 32 teams in general above Cape Verde in the FIFA rankings.

Not matter how we comment on it - the Cape Verde draw is a terrible result. Thankfully it's just a meaningless friendly after just under a week in camp. They is no escaping the fact that this game was supposed to be a confidence builder.

As to North Korea: They will park the bus. And if Portugal or Cote d'Ivoire can't cope with a bus (I think Brasil will have no problems) than a 0:0 or even a 1:1 result is very likely.

p.s. Tunisia should have advanced at the 2006 WC, but for some terrible refereeing. The group in general was very poor.

p.s.2 RSA was a poor team in 1998 or North Korea? In 1998 RSA had a relatively good team (2nd at the ACoN), although at the WC they totally blew.

6. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    i dont think the friendlies really mean anything before the world cup. if anything, they probably just end up being deceptive. a lot of times, they bring false confidence or gloom, neither of which is really any good. i think a team like argentina are figuring things out, but canada is just terrible. even worse than these african teams we're talking about here. they werent even defending on some of the later goals.

i still don't see how they're any different than china. this is what china did in 2002.

tunisia in 2006 was probably not going to go to the next round because they wouldnt have had the goal difference -- even if they managed to tie the game against ukraine. i agree that the group was very poor. but ukraine did enough in thrashing saudi arabia to make up for their big loss against spain.

RSA wasn't necessarily a poor team. they were just a below-average team in a tough group. they werent going to make it over denmark, that's for sure. i know they tied against each other, but still. i certainly didnt expect them to tie denmark in 98, but it happens.

i just can't see north korea getting a tie in this group. portugal and brazil are used to teams parking the bus. ivory coast isnt, so if there's a team in this group where it could happen -- it's probably there. but on the other hand, north korea hasnt seen any teams like this really.

7. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Portugal are used to not being able to defeat teams that park a bus. Why do you think they came in second to Denmark? Because they lost points against the Albanian bus as well as against the tightly knit Swedish defence.

OT: In the span of 2 minutes they had an evident handball waved away, which probably would have made the score 1:0 and than Ukraine got a penalty after Shevchenko dived in the box. If the referee hadn't screwed this up Tunisia was likely to win 1:0 and probably would have come in second in this group (not that any team in the group apart from Spain really deserved to progress...)

To tell the truth RSA really should have won the game against Denmark... they did have the better chances...

8. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    1. Cape Verde speaks Portuguese
    2. half of their players play in Portugal
    3. its only 3 or 4 days now that Portugal have been together
    4. there is still 2 weeks to the start of 2010
    ;)

9. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    I mean, I really don't see the issue as one solely where teams park the bus on them. It's that Portugal hasn't found a consistent goalscorer and that's the case even against teams who use a different strategy. Ronaldo has largely struggled. Pauleta was really their most consistent scorer and he's gone and guys like Almeida have largely struggled. The jury is still out on Liedson, but he looks to be a good option -- and he's only just now getting acquainted with the team. The Portuguese goals seemingly come from all sorts of players, and that's both good and bad.

10. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    It's quite obvious that Maruti is obsessed with Portugal. He has prolonged the topic of a friendly with only 4 days of preparation like it's the ultimate omen for our WC performance. Among many other things he has been spatting lately.
    I know you want Ivory Coast to pass the group stage, but you don't need to smother the other down in the process.

I stated before and I'll state it again. I have low expectations for this WC but in no way will I fall into hysteria when there are so many variables explaining the result.

As for Tiago, I couldn't care less. If you think he's a terrible loss then you have to be kidding. He never performed well in the nt and doesn't fit any formation we play.
    Atm, it might be Zé Castro as a substitute. But I suppose Moutinho and Manuel Fernandes are being considered. I hope CQ pick the latter.

Again, not worried about North Korea. Portugal spent most of their qualifiers scoring from set pieces. North Korea showed to be quite vulnerable against Greece on such. Honestly, I think this will be the smallest team in height we've faced in a long, long time. Their nr 23 showed skills, but if our CBs tight mark him then no issues will arise. Other than that, I'm not impressed.

11. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    LOL. I just had an opinion. I just don't have a tendency to retreat from a discussion as long as I have something to say.

When has North Korea been about Cote d'Ivoire... The only mention I made of Cote d'Ivoire in regards to this friendly was that they might draw against North Korea. So the rest of your 'theory' failed spectacularly.

I just really feel everyone is underestimating North Korea and treating them as an 'assured 3 points'. Seeing how Cote d'Ivoire struggled against a bunkered Burkina Faso I can see them having grave issues with breaking down Korea.

12. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Portugal is the team you focus your attention more in this group. Ivory Coast is a related to that, wether you admit it or not.

I will keep saying again, North Korea team is smaller when it matters. In set pieces they will be dead meat, especially against good headers. How many of those you can find in the rest of teams?
    A freaking lot.

13. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Simple:
    1. I feel Brazil is just too good, so there isn't much to discuss. I would however not mind if Portugal or Cote d'Ivoire provide an upset.

2. The key game is Portugal vs Cote d'Ivoire. I naturally would prefer the Ivorians. You would prefer Portugal. That's just natural. Hence most people focus on this game as the crunch game. I don't think either team has the upper hand in this match - talentwise they are comparable and nothing between the coaches to prefer one team over the other. Cote d'Ivoire do look less likely to win, because Portugal is sound throughout while Cote d'Ivoire has severe defensive issues.

3. North Korea is a ranked outsider. It will just be so interesting to see how they do against the three toughest teams they could have possibly drawn. If they manage any result against any of the teams it will be a big success for the Koreans and could cause havoc in this group.

4. I focused on Portugal because they played a friendly. If Cote d'Ivoire had played a friendly I would have focused on Cote d'Ivoire.

EOT. And peace.

14. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I can't believe Brazil is going to put $$$ into the pockets of the murdering criminal Mugabe by playing a friendly vs. Zimbabwe in Harare. Wow.

When North Korea said they were doing it, I thought, "figures", but Brazil?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/feedarticle/9099456

I hope they don't believe in karma in Brazil.

This is the most outrageous news yet in WC preparation.

15. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    it's no different than a team wishing to play against north korea, iran, or china. i mean, you can't really focus on the human rights issue when there are a lot of countries out there that are questionable, let's say. leave the politics outside of football and it's just a game (although politics does creep in). that's all it should be, and it will be a great day for the people of zimbabwe, because in the end, they're the ones who get screwed over day in day out. having brazil there will be something they'll talk about for years.

and even rationally, the game makes sense because it will be played at a high altitude. i dont really care about politics here and im just looking at it this way. zimbabwe has a high altitude and is closer to jo'burg. good game. tanzania on the other hand, is much further and brazil have to travel to dar es salaam. that's stupid.

16. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    I fully agree with leonidas. Besides - the people and the footballers have done nothing to deserve being treated as if they were crap. They deserve the opportunity to see Brazil in action.

I've been in Zimbabwe and really - great people. Besides (politics aside) its much safer than in South Africa.

17. PTMZ

PTMZ Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Maputo - Mozambique
    Don’t want to turn the thread into a politic discussion, but Brazil going to Harare is not an issue. The real issue is the Koreans being based in Zimbabwe preparing for the WC when the infamous Korean 5th Brigade arrived in Zimbabwe in the early 80s and executed some 20,000 people under the orders of Mugabe. I know that my Zimbabwean neighbours are quite pissed at having to host a nation they associate with the Matabeleland massacres.

18. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Man.... just watching Cote d'Ivoire-Paraguay... the Ivorians are HUGE (not only height, but they are also bulky, strong and massively built)! They make the Paraguayians look like midgets...

19. nbstriker8

nbstriker8 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    new beige
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cote d'ivoire's jerseys look like the fell in the mud. what was puma thinking?

20. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    who is number 15 for cote d'ivoire? he is terrible

they didn't announce the line ups and the mexican announcers are clue less as t who the players are. where is gervinho?

21. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Lol. My thoughts exactly.

A half-hearted performance by Cote d'Ivoire, but its looking like an easy win.

No 15 is Aruna Dindane.

---

Cote d'Ivoire had the game in the bag and drew... They really can't have such communication lapses.

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It also helps that Paraguay typically has small players. I remember them playing Germany in 2002 ... the difference was also glaring.

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That goal from Lucas Barrios was sick.

And that Ivory Coast uniform is hideous. It's probably the worst uniform I have ever seen in my life.

24. Palacas

Palacas Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    those are the african unity uniforms
    [​IMG]

25. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal Quote [R]

We play better when we are the under dogs
    Portugal to exceed low expectations? Posted by Tom Kundert
    Also posted by the same author: Five reasons why Portugal will surprise the world