1. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Ericksson to coach Cote d'Ivoire...

Portugal are officially favourites for the no 2 spot.

2. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
  3. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Lol... this is becoming ridiculous :D

I guess we better just sit back and wait for the official Cote d'Ivoire press release...

4. bunkmedal

bunkmedal Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Club:
    Cardiff City FC
    I doubt many people on this forum watch Bamba at club level, but I happen to watch a lot of Hibs and he can be brilliant in some games then throw in a horrible error in his next performance. On his day he's a very good centre back, when it's not his day he looks like an idiot. I'm still convinced he'll get it at some stage (25 isn't old for a centre back) but maybe the World Cup has come a little too soon in that regard.

5. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Well I guess it's finally finally official. Sven it is!

6. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Maybe we should wait until its officially officially official :D

7. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That's good news for Brazil and Portrugal. I have no high regard for Sven.

8. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Too bad Carlos Quieroz is coaching Portugal.

The 4-6-0 pitted against Sven's WAGs.

Meanwhile, deep inside a bunker in Pyongyang, all is going according to plan...

9. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yah, with Queiroz's stubbornness of not choosing the most talented players at his disposal, this doesnt benefit Portugal as much as it should.

Wonder what the Norks have up their sleeve:D

The attack on the south korean naval vessel is only the beginning:eek:

10. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Next up North Korea complete brainwashing Dunga into not taking Ronaldinho and start brainwashing him to leave Kaka, Lucio and Julio Cesar out of the final squad.

11. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The first part should be easy. Ronaldinho has not been a part of this squad for a while. While he might find his way back in the idea that he should be a part of it is far from being a clear, sensible choice.

The other three have been part of Brazil's squads every time. So the equivalency you're going for just isn't there.

Remember, Brazil has won everything they've played for under Dunga. That doesn't guarantee anything in the World Cup but it does make keeping the squad he has settled on a sensible bet.

12. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Ombak: Not sure what you are getting at, but my comment was supposed to be absurd and unsensible...

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They are rumored to be about to unveil a super player whom they've kept hidden from the outside world. A 17 year old phenom who is expected to dominate the game for the next 15 years.

Goes by the name of P. E. Lee. :D

14. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Well, more worries for Ivory Coast as a hernia problem has re-appeared for Drogba. If he has surgery on it, he could miss the World Cup.

15. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    No. His hernia problem is a simple surgery and a one week lay-off. Save for complications your should get the record straight and not cry wolf.

cheers

16. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    not what the media said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/wo...er-Drogbas-place-threat-hernia-operation.html

his getting the surgery is no guarantee. obviously if he does it will be after the English season. and will take him out around two weeks at least. and he'd need to be training. i think it would be a race for fitness for the first game against portugal.

17. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Looks like Drogba will put off surgery and play.

I also read in SAn newspapers that Brazil will probably play Mamelodi Sundowns on 2nd June. Interesting game with Mozambique's best player since Tico Tico on the forefront as well as Zambian all-star Felix Katongo. No less than 6 players from Sundown have made the final 29 for RSA (wonder if they will play?).

Still... would prefer a RSA-Brazil match.

18. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Well... Portugal draws 0:0 with the almighty Cape Verde... At 117 in the FIFA rankings I can see Cape Verde getting loads of points for this match... This is Portugal, the no 3 team in the world :)

Not a good start to Portugal's preparation... naturally it's just a friendly, but if anyone says this team is destined for anything at the world cup I will laugh at them. Right now I wouldn't bet anything on this team.

To makes matters worse apparently they may have lost Tiago in the process..

19. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    brazil beat NZ 4-0 or 5-0 before 2006. so the results are deceiving. just like i wouldnt put too much in argentina destroying canada today. these are early friendlies, and probably, the fact that cabo verde tried MUCH harder than portugal today is partly the reason (probably the whole colonial thing). it's obviously not a good result. i would only be worried if im portuguese if this game was 5 days before the opening game. there's still 2 weeks of preparations.

20. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    brazil have apparently agreed to play zimbabwe and tanzania...on june 2nd and 7th. not the best friendlies if you ask me, but i guess this goes in line with the types of teams we've played before the world cup. dunga i dont think really needs to work that much more on our team. just tweak the tactics here and there.

21. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Weird choices... especially since playing Mamelodi Sundowns would have been a much better choice of a friendly as they could actually offer some resistance.

As to the Portugal game: At the beginning Portugal wasn't trying all that hard, but by the second half they were desperate to win and gave it their all. And I said: IT'S JUST A FRIENDLY. But still... a very bad result and could bode badly against bunkering teams such as North Korea.

22. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    my impression is that the brazilian media was ok with the zimbabwe friendly because it is somewhat near jo'burg (1000km), where brazil will be based. however, the tanzania friendly was a bit of a head-scratcher given the distance (2500km). and brazil have generally played some poor countries in the run-up to the cup. 2006 was lucerne and new zealand. 2002 was catalunya and malaysia.

i would imagine that a game against sundowns is still possible but that it would just be a scrimmage or training match and not an official friendly.

23. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    well Portugal v CIV looks to be the match between possibly the worlds 2 most overrated teams. Which of the 2 will get themselves sorted out, time will tell. Portugal has a horrible record against bunkering teams, I saw this thing happen to them many times vs euro minnows. It wouldn't surprise me if N Korea pull off a draw somewhere in this group.

24. larrygiterdone

larrygiterdone New Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Columbus Ohio
    im watching the Cape Verde vs. Portugal match right now, its halftime, but i can tell you that Cape Verde is A LOT better of team than you would think

they have quality throughout the lineup and solid technique

25. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Cape Verde have players like Dady, Ricardo or Lito. But come on... they can hardly ever get a result in Africa... they are not even in the top 25 teams of Africa... yes, they may have some technique and quality in the lineup, but so does most African team...