Group E (GBR, NZL, CMR, BRA) [R]

Discussion in '2016 Olympic Women's Soccer Tournament' started by Lusankya, Jul 20, 2012.

1. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So USA got the easiest quarterfinal of all of them? ;);)

2. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Ali Riley plays for LdB in Sweden.

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you're here. And shlj isn't around (at the game, perhaps? or just enjoying it out & about). And you know more than me. ergo You're an expert :cool: :)

4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shut. Your mouth. And knock on all of the freaking wood you can find. No jinxing. No jinxing at all.

5. shreddir

shreddir Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Yeah but she grew up here and played her college ball for Stanford

6. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Group E:
    9+5 (+5=0) Great Britain
    6+5 (+6-1) Brasil
    3=0 (+3-3) New Zealand
    0-10 (+1-11) Cameroon

Group G:
    3-4 (+2-6) North Korea

7. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    That's as may be, but she's in Sweden for a few years. I suppose the term "based" is ambiguous.

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Riley? She's been in Sweden since the WPS folded. Her wikipedia page says she's signed a contract w/ Duisburg for after the Olys. Is that right? dang.

9. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's amazing how well they do with as little support they get from their federation.

10. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a testament to their talent. Although, judging my their obvious lack of tactics, it's clear to see that a training camp here or there wouldn't hurt.

kool-aide and Smulan repped this.
  11. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree, if they were supported with 50% of what Germany or we(US) are; they'd be way better. Hell they could've already captured Olympic Gold or won the WWC.

12. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    That's peculiar: in June it was announced that she had signed a contract with LdB over the rest of the season and for 2013. o_O The Duisburg rumours popped up just after WPS folded, I thought?

13. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    tactics? if i'm correct, formiga was sitting on a yellow, and she's more important in the knock round. their mid field is a mess, esp ester and maurine, who are clueless, in terms of connecting and making pin-point passes to advancing forwards. i'll give thais some slack. solid game by andrea and bruna. costa needs to cut the france long shot gig. anyway, they should look better against japan with the general in the line up but they are going home after the match. they are basically an one on one team without formiga. after watching that game, you'd think the rest of the mid-field doesn't even practice. and the announcer is a fool. they had a pretty descent prep for the olympics, better than usual it's that plain and simple.

14. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you would know better than I would I suppose. Although you can't deny that all the other top teams appropriate a considerably larger amount of money and coaching to women's soccer than Brazil does, right? If I'm wrong about that, I'll shut up. I shudder to think how great the Brazilian ladies would be if they were given the support the Americans, German, Swedes, etc. are given.

15. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    official attendance: 70,584. not an Olympic record, but regardless. if GB advances, their semifinal match(likely against the USA) will be played in Manchester. If the game is sold-out(76,000+), it should break the Olympic record for largest crowd.

17. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was unusual to see any mention of her Euro club in the american version of her wikipedia page. they usually aren't there for soccer or basketball players (american). My surprise (and being highly doubtful of wikipedia) is why I asked.

18. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
  19. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    well, of course, the crocks at CBF are too busy with the men's team and their own pockets, but they did have a nice number of games and had a small window to try different line ups. it also hurt that santos closed its' doors because of neymar, so they don't have their lyons or arsenal women's team anymore. that was a big help for the women.

anyway, the mid-field is still only one player. that's so obvious it isnt funny anymore.

20. Essex

Essex Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wow. This was probably the best performance of a British women's football team I have ever seen :eek: Throughout the game they showed pace, passion and enthralling attacking play. They even dominated the 2nd half. Just wow! :thumbsup:

And the crowd was just fantastic!

21. Salazar

Salazar Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Preston, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can't believe a women's game in this country got over 70,000 fans, these girls must be on cloud 9

22. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Nice game but they lack the flair of france, so they will have to muscle up to FC USWNT. you thought they had a bunch of injuries against france in the WC. :ROFLMAO:

enjoy the win.

23. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Ok, this means that you have keep watching and supporting them! A possible (dream) semi-final match up against the US at Old Trafford awaits! They'll need your support. :)

24. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    "The flair of France" = swirling play, with one-touch passing all the way up to the final third... then losing the ball or thwacking it into the stands behind the goal. Maybe I missed something from actually being in the stands and seeing the matches live, but in the first two matches I found France frustrating, inefficient and lacking in alternatives. (Whatever's happened to Le Sommer?! Nobody seems to want to play with her these days.) Luckily for France, Sweden are even less efficient, whilst also being "gifted" with a keeper who doesn't know how to stay on her goal-line.

25. Essex

Essex Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You are right, in the WC they played a really shitty game against France. Over the last few years I've had the impression that England Women's played ugly football. They even didn't manage to reach the knock-out stage when they played the EC in their country. This is also why I was so stunned tonight.