Gringo's Wall of Shame: Get used to it Gringos VOL. VII

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by sidspaceman, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    The thread was in regard to Robbie Rogers acceptance as a gay player in American stadia (ie MLS). It was a conversation among adults but I can see how you would take it out of context. Your personal biases are noted. I'll leave the juvenile bs to you.

2. NachoNation

NachoNation Member+

Jun 19, 2005
    GOAT Puzzle
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If it weren't for moderators your cosmopolitan nature would shine brighter than ever.

Nothing juvenile or incorrect about his take regardless of context.

3. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    What's juvenile bullshits is how you and others tries to sell this image of MLS fans being cosmopolitan and educated when this threads are filled with racist and xenophobic posts. Rogers will probably just be like the Latin Americans and get the backlash in the internet from people who aren't open minded just too pussy to express their true feelings in the stadium.

Adrian559 repped this.
  4. El_Huero

El_Huero Member+

Dec 21, 2009
    EduarDitto "The Pelé of Anal"
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    so you nads are actually capable of mature discussions? wtf? when did that happened?

El Mariachi and yaboy repped this.
  5. Gucci

Gucci BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 7, 2010
    The Gym
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  6. Gucci

Gucci BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 7, 2010
    The Gym
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  7. ninjew

ninjew Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Discordia 2.0
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    :rolleyes:

8. OG Junglist

OG Junglist Member+

Jul 21, 2005
    El Jebel, CO
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Subway for the Lulz +

9. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    First off, I haven't read this thread. The premise alone seems asinine to me.

Just to put in the proper context, I speak from the experience of attending MLS games in stadiums in Chicago, New York and Kansas City and spectator behavior generally. I'm not speaking about cherry-picked posts on an anonymous message board. Making the argument that people may be polite in the stadium but they're really mostly racist xenophobes because of a few random, anonymous posts on BigSoccer is a level of paranoia that can't be reasoned with.

The point was that Rogers would be more likely to be welcomed as a gay player in U.S. stadiums than he would at the grounds of Leeds, Luton Town and Millwall, and that MLS as a league and MLS fans in general would offer a more congenial environment than supporters in England. It is an argument about football culture in the respective countries, not national stance on gay rights. Are you seriously arguing this point?

I think if you were to really take a step back, look at it in the context of sports in America in general- NFL, NBA, NASCAR etc.- you would be disingenuous to say that MLS fans in Seattle, Portland, LA, Boston etc.- in general (because that's what "on the whole" means- not your personal, anecdotal stories about someone saying or doing something that offended you) do not tend to be more worldly than the aforementioned fans in other U.S. sports. Just on the face of it- they follow soccer- which as a sport has largely been dismissed by popular media and culture in this country- and for that very reason alone they have some interest that extends beyond the status quo in the U.S. If you cannot or will not admit to this than there isn't anything to talk about. I can only say that I think you need to allow for more input and a broader outlook.

On a personal note, I feel bad that a lot of you guys have very deep-seated negative feelings towards "gringos" as racists, bigots or xenophobes. There are certainly valid reasons for feeling aggrieved that extend beyond the bounds of sport and the purview of this forum. But to keep it simple I'll say that I would never discount anyone's personal experience. I've also had plenty of the same experiences aimed at me from those of another race (black, Latino etc.) simply by virtue of my own, but I try very hard not to let it color my perception of a group of people on the whole or particularly my experience when meeting or speaking to someone new.

Finally, I mention "adults" because talking about "pussies on keyboards" makes you look like a kid. If that's what you want, fair enough.

10. Chiquitibum

Chiquitibum Member+

Apr 4, 2004
    Norte
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    first you talk about Rafa generalizing gringos, then you generalize Mexicans in this thread, who lol at gringos.

I dont have any negative feelings, but enjoy the few NADs that post ridiculous things, so that we can provide this thread with content. I have homies that are gringos. Non soccer fans though, those are hard to find, lol.

11. El Mariachi

El Mariachi Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Más Allá
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    gringo essay thread -------------->

12. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    There was no generalizing. I was speaking about his post, the posts in support of his post, and the posters who were supposedly in agreement with him from positive rep.

I'm glad you don't have any negative feelings.

13. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    Rafa is a douche...take anything he says with a huge grain of salt...that being said I must say I started posting on this forum as a passive fan of the USMNT...after Big Soccer US fans and their xenophobic, racist, and jingoist posts I became an ardent hater of the men's NT because if it's fans on these boards...this thread is in response to that...without those posts this thread could never have existed..

14. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    That really bothers me and I'm sorry that happened. There are certainly a fair number of US fan douche bags- just as there are for any team in any sport.

Lalo37 repped this.
  15. MexiKampeon

MexiKampeon Member+

Sep 10, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

fyp

16. MexiKampeon

MexiKampeon Member+

Sep 10, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

You are dead to me sir :p

17. MexiKampeon

MexiKampeon Member+

Sep 10, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Shite you gonna make me defend Rafa? This idio wsmaugham comes in here with an essay about how we are generalizing, being illogical, unempirical etc., and then he posts this crock of shite:

The point was that Rogers would be more likely to be welcomed as a gay player in U.S. stadiums than he would at the grounds of Leeds, Luton Town and Millwall, and that MLS as a league and MLS fans in general would offer a more congenial environment than supporters in England. It is an argument about football culture in the respective countries, not national stance on gay rights. Are you seriously arguing this point?

#InBefore he makes up something about how he as attended games at Leeds, Luton Town & Millwall as well as throughout the MLS... and met enough of the regular fans to have an expert opinion as to where Robbie would feel more comfortable playing as an out of the closet homosexual.

18. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    He has a point...England in general is not going to be very welcoming of a gay player on their team...the cities he mentioned (with the exception of Boston) would be MUCH more welcoming.

19. MexiKampeon

MexiKampeon Member+

Sep 10, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Based on what? I used to travel there on business and it seemed like the English in general are quite accepting of alternative lifestyles. Can we at least point to some incidents like the ones that happened with MLS Fans last season ragging on visiting fans as gay? What are we using to substantiate these claims other than ASSumptions.

20. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    If you're their on business you're going to be mixing with business types...not the nacos (read Chavs) that are raging homophobes:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...lling-price-as-hate-crimes-climb-2374674.html

21. MexiKampeon

MexiKampeon Member+

Sep 10, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Ok... I can do that: http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2009/11/24/homophobic-hate-crime-reports-rise-in-us/

Alright... looking at the reports it does seem that homophobic hate crimes per capita are much higher in the UK than in the States... I will concede that could be a good proxy for predicting the behavior of football fans... but I still want to point out that I don't think either of you had any empirical knowledge before you posted you were just letting your American centric points of view shade an assumption.

22. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    I don't have an american-centric point of view...not one bit...it's balanced...I don't hate on the U.S. like many here tend to nor do I overrate it the way many Americans tend to.

23. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    And you would be wrong.

I've done a lot of reading about hooliganism in England in general and homophobia surrounding football in England. Considering this thread is bigger on opinions than facts I didn't bother to elucidate. If you aren't apprised of the situation- actually take a look at the articles posted in the thread concerning the subject- and how concerned the FA is about the subject matter- rather than offering generalities about your personal travel experiences that have no bearing on the subject. It's tiring setting fire to all these straw man arguments.

Try not to move the goal posts either with hate crime statistics generally. The post was in regard to football culture, not culture in general- as I pointed out.

Cheers.

24. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I for one believe most of europe (in general) is less homophobic than the US... The MLS fan base is a small group of people which may be more accepting than the football fan base in europe, and that is all that matters for an MLS soccer player. But to make a determination of England as a country vs the US, not sure that is fair, redneck and soccer don't mix much, if they did I'm sure there would be a different opinion.

/p

El Mariachi and wsmaugham repped this.
  25. wsmaugham

wsmaugham Member+

Apr 3, 2002
    Chicago
    Absolutely.