Gregg Berhalter: New Hammarby manager!

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by iamalfred, Dec 12, 2011.

1. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Yeah, Berhalter was probably cursing to himself during that game since Hammarby also played against this same team in his last game as manager and that game ended in a 0-0 draw with the same keeper being a wall pretty much and saving everything. Small margins for Berhalter.

Here's a long interview with Berhalter from after he was fired. There's some swedish in first couple of minutes but after that the interview is in english obviously.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Good learning experience for him. Hope he stays in Europe to find a new club.

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #378 Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
    stonejh127 and Hobo repped this.
  4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I wonder if Berhalter will be interested in bringing Hušidić or Schuler with him to the Crew. My suspicion is that the former can probably do better in terms of money and playing time overseas; he's most likely a squad player at best in MLS. As for the latter, his career doesn't really seem to have quite started yet.

5. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope not, neither are MLS quality if Hammarby results (and Husidic past results) are any indication.

6. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well im sure teams are going to be asking Gregg as a reference. So we'll see what he thinks of them

7. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Time to revive this dead thread, babbbyyyy!

3G is being linked to Swansea in what more cynical Yanks might call "Project Bradley 2.0":
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-usa-boss-gregg-berhalter-26997862

Wales Online seems to be the source for this rumor, so I'm taking it with a hefty grain of salt. It's also predicated on the current Swans manager (Russell Martin) completing a move to Southampton, which hasn't been officially confirmed, but seems very likely (The Guardian is reporting that its essentially an unannounced done-deal).

That said, given that Jason Levien & Steven Kaplan were keen on bringing Bradley to the Premier League, this doesn't seem like it would be that much of a stretch to believe.

8. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Also, I guess a mod needs to move this thread into YA: Academy?

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yikes! Reading the comments on Twitter, I don’t know who is pissing on Berhalter more — USNMT fans or Swansea supporters. It’s a toss up. USMNT fans want him to fail. Swansea fans hate the American ownership and calling this Bradley 2.0

10. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Gonna be a little negative, a little positive.

I don't think Berhalter is anything special - a lot of people laud his performance with the national team, but I think any number of coaches could have achieved similar outcomes. He was bang-average in MLS with Columbus, and I think his style of play is excruciating.

That said, he's a pretty good defensive coach, and Swansea, despite finishing 10th, conceded the 5th-most goals in the Championship this season, ahead of only the 3 relegated teams and QPR, who finished 20th.

Braying fans aside, this feels like a good hire for a team that needs a defensive correction.

11. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm all for more coaches with a US origin trying to ply their trade in Europe. Let's let GGG get a job and more experience.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it'd be a fitting marriage for both parties. This is his level. Whatever the expectations are for around this caliber of job, he's shown he'll around meet, but not exceed them.

USMNT fans shoot root for him and more of our coaches to get these opportunities, not dissuade them. Of course many are doing the opposite because of their own insecurities and followers of some loud mouths in the media who create over-the-top vitriol for attention.

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm all for Wales joining Europe!

I wish Beerholder would get a gig in the Eerste/mid-lower Ered, actually. Money would be terrible, but it's s great to place to ID new talent, play around with some attacking footie and he knows the Netherlands well. But West Britain ain't terrible either. Maybe he sails!

I'm with you on the "give 'em all a team, someone will develop the 'touch' eventually."

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    it really does put Berhalter between a rock and a hard place in terms of fan support... but, honestly, I'd watch him manage a team in the championship! I agree with others, this feels like a good next step for his career. Hopefully he can take what he learned from the national team and continue evolving his tactics in the final third.

twoolley and m vann repped this.
  15. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to offend. Blame my poor education. Growing up in the USA (Western Pennsylvania) in the 60's and 70's, Great Britain was lumped in with Europe in my (truly poor) geography classes and certainly was one of our "European Allies" during both World Wars per our history books... I didn't mean to ruffle any Brexit or FVEY feathers. That said there are other countries in what I grew up calling Europe that aren't part of the EU, so are they part of Europe (Norway, Switzerland, Moldovia, Ukraine...)?

At any rate, you seem to have gotten my gist: USA coaches coaching in Europe AND Great Britain rather than simply flooding MLS.

16. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Why not try for the Eredivisie or Bundesliga? He has history in those leagues.

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I was just being a dick for giggles. We all knew what you meant. Even me. But I’m sepa. Way more worldly!

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor that he's the #1 option for Club America:

21. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Can we move this to where the rest of the coaches are.... The Academy.

chad repped this.
  22. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Odd timing for these rumors.

23. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Kind of makes me think he knows he's not returning to usmnt

24. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Seems like normal timing giving the clubs aren’t in season and Berhalter isn’t under contract.

ArsenalMetro, largegarlic and BostonRed repped this.
  25. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Club America's Sporting Director just said they'll announce a new coach on Thursday or Friday. TUDN is saying that "The decision is now up to Berhalter." So the timing makes complete sense for that rumor.

Sparta Rotterdam's head coach was just announced as the new Ajax manager today (and as far as I can tell, news of this only broke in the past few days), so the timing there makes sense to me too.

ChicagoVT repped this.