Greg Lalas - stretching the truth (4/20/05)

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Bora Fan, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love Greg Lalas' MLSnet column. Unlike his normal self-depricating approach to music and his soccer career - in today's article regarding Ramos, Harkes and Balboa's induction - Lalas pushed the envelope of credibility by saying the following:

"I'm happy for them, of course, these guys that I've known for 15 years, watched on TV and in stadiums around the globe, these MLS pioneers who, for a couple of glorious years, I had the honor of competing with."

Greg Lalas played 100 minutes of MLS ball over 5 games. That's 94 minutes in 1996 and 6 minutes in 1997 before requesting New England to void his contract.

Now he could have played pick-up games with these guys - or maybe 3 of the 5 games he picked up minutes in involved Ramos, harkes or Balboa - but that is really stretching it.

I think the sentiment is that he participated in MLS during the same 1996-1997 time frame. If we're talking about "competing" guys like Darren Sawatzky have a better claim to having the honor "of competing with" Ramos, Harkes and Balboa.

Greg if you are out there - no worries - I just think you're pushing your credibility as a columnist when you get caught up in this kind of flight of fantasy.

Your work is too good for that.

Keep on rockin'

2. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    While I agree it can be viewed as exagerrating (I noticed it too yesterday), Lalas did spend the whole 96 season on the Mutiny roster. That meant he practiced and probably travelled with the team all year. I know he was sent down occasionally for USISL games, but I can see how a defender might sit the bench and make few games in as a sub. In 97 he was let go June 24th from NE who picked him up in the offseason. So I have no problem with him calling himself a MLS player. He was in the league about a couple of years, so I'll agree he is "stretching" it by saying "competing" sine he only played 100 minutes total, but I'd guess he knew these guys pretty well through his brother. I took his statement as more a compliment to those guys that he was lucky to be in the same fully pro league with them for a couple of years. Insert "participate" into his sentence - it doesn't flow very well. I noticed his comment as a bit of a stretch, and he's bound to repeat it if he's writing as a former MLS player. I didn't take it as something that takes away credibility. If he had said "battled" or something more vivid I'd have a problem. But as a team sport if he's in uniform on a 18-20 man roster then I think he's part of the competition. Looking at it closely try to take it as a tribute not a boast and it comes off better IMO.

3. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played Division I soccer. I'm assuming he played club ball. He could have played against these guys dozens of times outside of MLS for all we know.

4. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want a "Waldo is my homeboy" t-shirt.

5. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greg, I'll make you a deal. Mention my t-shirts in your next column and I'll hook you up with a t-shirt in the size of your choice. :D

7. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    In the same article he writes,

"Now I've known Burns for nearly 10 years, ever since the very first MLS game either of us were involved in: his New England Revolution vs. my Tampa Bay Mutiny. (Okay, so considering Carlos Valderrama and Cle Kooiman were my teammates, calling it my Tampa Bay Mutiny is technically a little like Mick Mars calling it his Motley Crue, but in the name of literary self-aggrandizement, I'm going to go with it.)"

So I think he understood his roll in MLS, although I don't like his analogy, since I thin Mars was a big part of the Crue, I would say it is more like John Paul Jones Calling it his Led Zeppelin.

8. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More accurate would be Ringo Starr calling it his Beatles...

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys kill me. Some will complain and moan about everthing and everthing. :) He was playing homage to longtime friends are ex-rivals whether it be MLS or in college. We should focus more on the message than the messenger.

10. Bora Fan

Bora Fan Member

Dec 14, 1998
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fellas the point is that WHAT he is trying to say is effected by HOW he says it.

If he just said - to good friends - cheers - all the best. I didn't have much time with them on the pitch but the minutes that I had were wonderful etc.

But by implying we all "competed" together - he's acting like somebody who is trying to sneak their head into a photo op with Balbo, Ramos and Harkes at the Hall of Fame ceremony.

Greg Lalas is a better writer than a soccer player.

When he's used his brief soccer career as a source for his material - it's usually inspired. When he inserts it though into the soccer stories of others - it's painfull - as his story gradually weaves into theirs.

By comparison Sigi Schmidt has found a way in his columns to be opinionated - to draw from his years of experience - and more importantly to be credible or not to undermine the credibility that he has.

11. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm suprised anybody reads his articles. For someone supposedly in the "in crowd" (i.e. ex-player and brother of Mr. ALalas), he provides little insight, is not very funny, and just appears to ramble.

Hmm, may be he should be a TV commentator for MLS games...

12. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078

maybe pete best or stu sutcliffe would be better than using ringo starr