Greenland league

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by Gerrit, Jul 15, 2005.

1. the_american

the_american New Member

Feb 18, 2008
    exactly how many clubs are there?

2. takikki

takikki New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Prato, Italy
    I have an arctic football obsession like you.
    I know that Qanaaq has 2 teams: QNQ and QTP '92.
    You have a list of all clubs in Greenland?:eek: I have emailed the Greenlandic FA several times, but they never responded to me.:mad: Can you mail me your list? I have also a list, but is very short.

3. Kazinho

Kazinho New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    Netherlands
    Well Greenland actually had at some point a pretty famous coach. Sepp Piontek a german coach who lead Denmark to their first wc in 86. I believe that Greenland is ambiotious with getting on the football map. I have read that the reason why they cant join fifa or uefa/concacaf is because they have to request through the danish fa which they refuse because they see them self as an independent fa. Which i also think they are.

To the remark about that they can compete with Moldova, Belarus etc etc i think is a bit optimistic. Even if Greenland was capable of finding players in Danish 1st or 2nd division it would still be half time pros or amateurs that would make the team. Of course Greenland would have a huge advantage playing home. But the question is if they ever get a national stadium wouldnt it probly be kindda indoor stadium anyway?

For those who look for pics from the Greenlandic national team i remember it as its easy to find pics from the game between Greenland and Tibet (Played in Copenhagen some years ago)

4. Kazinho

Kazinho New Member

Mar 25, 2003
    Netherlands
    I forgot that i once saw a program in tv about the championship in greenland.
    The atmosphere seemed great but the level was very very low.

It was great entertainment to watch but i think any Greenlandic team would get slaughtered seriously by any team from any european country that had qualified for european international tournament.

But you never know. Who had imagined in 91 i think it was that Faroe Islands would beat Austria?

5. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    What do you mean by this? How much would the Danish FA be involved? And if Netherlands Antilles can have an "independent FA" why wouldn't Greenland be able to? Or did the Dutch FA have some hand in that like the Danish FA might in Greenland?

6. the fumbler

the fumbler Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Denmark
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    ? Wasn't he just born in Greenland?

7. Ninon

Ninon New Member

Oct 19, 2008
    its simple greenland creat a big club for the danish competition

8. Ninon

Ninon New Member

Oct 19, 2008
    The list of clubs to near the artic and the list of the coldest soccer clubs.
    Maybe the coldest are the siberian clubs

Who helps????

9. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Where is the field?

10. Ninon

Ninon New Member

Oct 19, 2008
    near the qaanaq

11. Mefisto

Mefisto Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Århus, Denmark
    Qaanaq= Thule

12. Ninon

Ninon New Member

Oct 19, 2008
    I dont know if is in thule. I dont think so. Thule is a village abandoned to north of Qaanaaq

13. Mefisto

Mefisto Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Århus, Denmark
    You are right- I wasnt clear enough.
    Qaanaaq is the new Thule- founded after an american airforce plane crashed with nuclear weapons onboard. The inhabitants were forced to resettle in Qaanaq 67 miles north of Thule

As for your question about where is the coldest soccer is played, my guess would be somewhere in Siberia because those towns are landlocked unlike the greenlandic towns and villages which are located on the coast- coastal towns tend not to get as cold as landlocked ones. Also the lowest temperature ever meassured was in Siberia.

But this is just a guess

14. Ninon

Ninon New Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Yes! You are right maybe in Yakutsk ( the coldest city of the world).
    The city is big and i think they have soccer club...
    In winter they have temperatures at -50º...

15. takikki

takikki New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Prato, Italy
    Fakel-SVSM is the club from Yakutsk and play in Far East Zone of russian Fourth Level http://www.rsssf.com/tablesr/rus4-08.html#4fe

In the past there were clubs like Dinamo, Montazhnik, Zarya.

I know that in past there was also teams in other cold cities like Gortorg Anadyr, Energetik Pevek, Zapolyarnik Norilsk.

16. Ninon

Ninon New Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Thank you for the information!
    I saw in google earth the stadium in Yakutsk and is not bad... its a olimpic for about 20.000 attendance

17. HuntKop

HuntKop Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 15, 2002
    Sulla mia Vespa
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I've been following this fascinating thread for a while, and I have been wasting time this morning at work looking up random information about Yakutsk. Incredible!

Does anyone have an image of the team crest for Fakel-SVSM? Or a link to an official website? Or even a cyrillic translation of the team name?

Thanks!

18. Ninon

Ninon New Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Hi
    I´ve explored for information about this club. But it seems it not exists in the internet. It only appears this forum and statistics.
    Maybe the best is to talk with a russian from yakutsk. Hi5 is a good way for that

19. AalborgFan

AalborgFan New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Interestring idea about a team from Greenland. To be honest I think Greenland is really far away from almost any other team. The greenlandic society is very small and as far as I know there isn't greenlandic players in the nor the danish first division or second division. Thats even worse than the Faroe Islands who have professionals playing in Denmark. Most notably former striker Todi Jönsson who played several seasons for Aarhus, Lyngby and FC Copenhagen. Greenland don't have any players remotely simular to that. But I would find it entertaining if Greenland became affiliated with a confederation. The weather on greenland will be an true exercise for a lot of teams. My father was on Greenland while he was employed in the danish military. He has told me it's only possibly to wear shorts one day each year.

I do however know that in the city where I grew up (Frederikshavn) have a sports college whit some greenlandic players on their teams. Most notably will probably be formet student Malik K. Egede who recently was elected Talent of the year 2008. The college recently got two future female studens (Inaluk R. Petersen and Bebiane V. Johnsen) picked up for the Island Games 2009. But I don't know anything about these players. I just remebered something about greenlandic players while I was doing research on that college for my younger brother years ago. The most notable player from this college is danish international striker Martin Nordstrand who currently is contracted with FC Copenhagen.

/Thomas

20. Calapez

Calapez New Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Greenland could have Jesper Gronkjaer

21. danKohner

danKohner Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Section 139
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too am a big fan of Greenland soccer, but here in the US there is very limited information on the Greenland National team or any leagues in Greenland. From what I know about Greenland and FIFA is that to be admitted to FIFA Greenland needs to renovate their stadium. Currently they have a dirt field and Greeland would need to at least need to put down some type of turf. This is extremely difficult due to the fact there is a permafrost layer right under the surface and it makes it extremely difficult if not impossible to put any type of turf down.

22. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I dont really think so.... He was born there, but I'm sure both his parents are Danish.... Ther are just many Danes working in Greenland for a few years, then to return back home...

23. danKohner

danKohner Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Section 139
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a long time now I have been looking for a Greenland National Team jersey. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a Greenland NT jersey. I'm not looking for a tee shirt, but an actual jersey. Thanks!

24. danKohner

danKohner Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Section 139
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The coldest temp ever was not in Siberia, but Antartica back in 1983 with a temp of 128.6°F.