Great column condemning Premiership's Big Three

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by Val1, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  2. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    I think this says it all:

"There can be only limited sense of achievement in winning the title when it has taken, at a conservative estimate, £200m of the Russian people’s money to do so."

3. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Well, first of all, there is really nothing new said in this article that this board hasn't coverd, whether it's Chelski buying the title, Pires diving, Rooney swearing and Diouf spitting. The author is just stating his opinion, which many of us share. I personally disagree on his view of "boring" Chelsea. There is absolutely nothing wrong to base our team's game on defense. So what if JM thinks that deffense wins games and doesn't care about scoring 10 goals in a game. He wants to win, simple, more than anything in the world, and if he has his own strategy that works, by all means, do it. Another point i disagree with the writer is the unexcitedness in EPL. He mentions 3 teams that beat The Big Three this year and makes a statistic that i t happens once/3 or 4 months. Duh, that is why they are the BIG 3, otherwise, there wouldn't be any big teams if everybody beat each other. It's the same in Spain, Italy, France and Portugal and Netherlands (to a lessent extent on the last 3 countries). Otherwise, if we collect all the different posts from our boards, we could have written this ourselves.

4. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Or how Toffees score a misery amount of goals, yet are in the position to qualify for the CL. I can't beleive how much one subject can be used in so many threads.
    The fact is: MONEY DOESN'T BUY TITLES! It's been said 1000 times, but it seems that only Chelsea fans believe that. All others are just jealous.

5. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Disagree. Because Chelsea have all Romans money. Why be like ' oh its not fair and throw your dummy out the pram. ' Move on and get on with it. Simple as that.

6. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Cheers. And the truth shall set you free. :)

7. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I hate Chelsea but i dont see how a man with loads and loads of money buying a club is wrong. Thats football and Chelsea are fantastic to watch. Erm, apart from when they played us. Come on lads.

8. Forza Moskva

Forza Moskva New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Mila Kunis' Crib
    You jealous pricks couldn't steal our fckin crown if you were the tooth fairy!

9. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Who's jealous sunshine. Not me like. You should try saying that to some of the people that knock Chelsea.

10. Forza Moskva

Forza Moskva New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Mila Kunis' Crib
    I didn't imply you Mel, you're one of the realest posters on this site. I even repped you in one of your posts in this thread.

11. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I havent recieved any rep of you sunshine. Simple as that.

Ps. Just looked and it is in my rep bit.

12. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    what crown might that be?

13. Forza Moskva

Forza Moskva New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Mila Kunis' Crib
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mel B again.

You sure about that?

14. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Look three posts up.

15. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

you have enough sunbeam. Now me, i am lagging

16. Forza Moskva

Forza Moskva New Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Mila Kunis' Crib
    Ok, *neg reps*

17. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Right you are, neg reps it is sunshine.

18. alincoln

alincoln New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    "Such is the vapidity and witlessness of the modern pundit that not one has even made such a perfunctory point that the three signings who have transformed Chelski into title winners were not made by Jose Mourinho: Damien Duff, Robben and Petr Cech. His three recruits from Portugal, on the other hand, have underwhelmed, Didier Drogba has proven to be hopelessly overpriced at £24m, while Kezman awaits his first Premiership goal from open play."

Mostly true, although Paulo has played very well IMO.

Mourinho may prove to be a better organizer of talent than an evaluator.

19. Susiem

Susiem New Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Montreal
    Now I dont normally post but I had to comment on that line about Mourinho's 3 underwhelming recruits from Portugal....although he just came back from a two month hiatus and hasnt played much of late, Chelsea should thank god every day they have Ricardo Carvalho. The man has a champions league and Uefa cup title. What do the others?

20. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I quite agree.
    He's an excellent back up for Terry and Gallas in the center, so good in fact, that i'd call him the best back up in the world.

Wouldn't you agree.

21. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Indeed, and if we had an EPL for backup players, Chelsea would be undefeated with a 5.5 goal average/game and .01 goals allowed. It was Taiago's falut cuz he scored an own goal. :D

22. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    I know, I must admit it's been very hard to contain my jealousy for what? 49 years........ :rolleyes:

23. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I think that's hilarious. :D

24. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    In regards to the defensive play - that is the fault of the game, not the teams. If football wasn't made the way it is, then teams wouldn't be playing ultra-defensive 4-5-1. Teams just go by the game and what will give them the best result.

THOUGH I really don't understand why draws are looked at so highly. Many games seem to be played under the idea of 'lets not lose', instead of 'lets try to win'. Surely it's better to attack, right? Winning one game and losing two is obviously as good as having three draws.

In regards to Chelsea - I'd like to think that most people would normally look down apon such method of gaining money, but when the money is used for their favorite sports team, they're all happy.

25. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK In my house and my little football club that never ever wins any trophys.