Great Britain Olympic Team Starting 11

Discussion in 'England' started by jpatel1508, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No - as noted you have completely misinterpreted it:

1. The associations affiliated to FIFA may participate in the Tournaments
    provided there is a National Olympic Committee (NOC) in their respective
    country
    which is already recognised or about to be recognised by the IOC.

The National Olympic Committee and respective country is Great Britain. Hence why the Olympics is always represented by Great Britain, hence why the team that will play in the Olympics will be called Great Britain, hence why they've also asked if anyone from Wales/Scotland wants to play in it as well for the British team.

But by all means carrying on sticking your head into the sand.

2. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    2 possibilities , both of which are far from desirable:

1 - we play shit under pearce and we get slapped.
    2 - we play shit under pearce, win what is essentially a mickey mouse cup, and pearce gets the england job.

seems like the fa are going to shoe horn him or southgate or some other tard into the job anyway, regardless of how awful their results are.

3. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not so sure it will guarantee Pearce the England job if GB wins the gold. Winning gold would be nice. But that does not mean Pearce gets it. He just does not have the experience at this time to do so. He has even admitted it himself.

Also, following Capello is going to be tough, based on the talent pool we have. Pearce could very well be looking to be the next but one England manager. By which time, his stock could be a lot higher.

I really do think its going to be Rednap next. The only way it might not be is if Spurs finish the season in glorious style. If Spurs' season tails off, then he may well feel like he has taken them as far as he can.

4. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Did you just really try to pretend that paragraph meant anything beyond the basic requirement that only IOC member countries are allowed to participate??? And you accuse me of misinterpreting stuff?

The team might be called "Team GB" and it might officially represent the BOA and the country of Great Britain but neither of those change the fact that it is the English FA that will enter the team and the English FA doesn't have the right to register or use players that (for one reason or another) aren't eligible for the English national team.

I'm sure that the BOA expects they have enough wiggle room. I am equally sure that FIFA doesn't care one bit about that. ;)

Nah the FA is doing a slight bit more than just "running the thing" tbh. The letters might come with a BOA letter head but it is the FA that will be entering the team, registering the players, accept responsibility for costs from expenses and insurance for its players and staff, apply for visas for their squad (not much of an issue for the Team GB I guess ;)), ensure that all players holds the nationality of the country the FA is representing, ensure that all players are eligible for selection by the FA and ensure that all players shall be subject to the jurisdiction of the FA.

The BOA will have to register the players with the Olympic organizing committee but in all relations to the competition it is the English FA that is both practically and legally responsible for the team.

5. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It seems this has been beaten like a dead horse... Time to move on

6. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    The guy is just arguing for the hell of it.
    Hijacking the thread for some unknown reason .

7. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    The Scots may disagree with this...

8. Devil_78

Devil_78 Member

May 7, 2001
    Kashiwazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, it IS a British team. All the players hold British passports. The Scots may want to argue, but that would be like King Canute telling the waves to get back!

9. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    im miles off on this one: have the other fas all gone along with this, which teams are at the tourney, whats the format, and any warm up matches?

10. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Gone along with what? A unified Team GB? Some FAs have voiced their opposition and so far I can't remember anyone approving (apart from the English FA of course). The only official decision made by FIFA so far is the competition regulations and as seen in this thread we seem to somewhat disagree on their impact (have a look for yourself -> http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/officialdocuments/doclists/laws.html). Blatter has of course commented on the issue but as usual his answer differs depending upon who he is talking in front of so I'm not sure he's much help tbh.

For the other questions I'd suggest the BBC or London 2012 website (link below).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympic_games/default.stm
    http://www.london2012.com/

11. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dead horse has been beaten enough... Thread closed..