Grant Wahl's 2013 Ambition Rankings

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    And reaffirming that we're the laughingstock of the league isn't a bad thing? I'm not sure what you're getting at, you're really just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point.

2. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I completely disagree. With the rampant expansion over the past five years, MLS has expanded into several new markets and garnered thousands of new fans. People in the Pacific NW, Canada, Philly, etc. may not know that much about the league and the situations of other clubs if they weren't following MLS prior to their team joining the league.

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just going to post this. I'm not sure what the point of what he's saying is. It seemingly keeps changing?

4. Supahhhrev

Supahhhrev Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Dorchestah, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your right JD we should do nothing, no one should do or say anything against Kraft. No one should drag this embarrassment of an org into the limelight for all to see how poorly it is run.

Tell me what can I do as a football fan to make it better in my region mainly at the highest level?
    Offer me some solutions.

Because I'll tell you what I've run out of ideas.

Thanks,
    -Beau

RevsFanDan and patfan1 repped this.
  5. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're still missing the point. Wahl isn't the only national writer out there - he's just one soccer writer. See the difference? Who says he's the only member of the media who knows or should know? Think Bloomberg, Wall Street Journal, Forbes reporting on the impact a poorly run business has on its longtime customers who care more about the product than its executives. How that poorly run business stacks up in its own industry.
    The fact those same executives get plaudits for running their other businesses but let this one suffer through neglect and apathy. The revs would make a good HBS case study on the effects of poor management. Get the point?

Big picture: any successful movement where customers voiced their displeasure loud enough to result in positive change needed visibility and active participants. What good does it do complaining to each other here? We really want things to change so we need to take action and tell people that influence customers. The more public pressure the better.

RevsFanDan and pwykes repped this.
  6. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    lol

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This should be like a kids book... that generally goes like this.

Person A says something.

Person B responds with a question that slightly twists the meaning of Person A's post.

5-6 people then correct person B with explanations.

Person B changes the point of conversation.

Rinse and repeat.

RevsFanDan and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  8. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I'm aiming high here, but the Revs can't be the laughing stock of a league that includes Chivas USA and Toronto FC (the worst team in the world).

9. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Isn't is possible that a businessman can be successful in some businesses and not others?

The voice of displeasure just isn't loud enough to force the desired change. Either go big or go home.

10. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's not a bad thing because no one cares and it won't lead to any changes. Ok, so the Revs organization were just called out as being horrible. Is anything going to change?

If reaffirming that the Revs organization is the laughingstock of the league doesn't lead to change, then it isn't a bad thing.

11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok - why don't you make an introduction to a media influencer you define as "big" and I will start preaching. Get the ball rolling rather than playing Socrates on this board with us.

RevsFanDan repped this.
  12. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Of course, look at Red Bull/RBNY. However, there's a huge difference between trying and failing, and not even trying at all. Kraft hasn't taken this franchise seriously and put forth the requisite resources for it to succeed. At least Red Bull are taking their franchise seriously and trying to succeed, I think all we're looking for is dedication and effort.

There will never be a a voice loud enough to force the desired change, so I don't know what you want people to do. As I said before, sports fans need to vent and that's exactly what this is. Nothing more or nothing less. Sure they'd love for Kraft to change his ways, but that's not really what this is all about. It's just like when B's fans used to call up WEEI to complain about Jeremy Jacobs. I don't think those fans actually thought that calling up a sports radio show and complaining would change the way the Bruins spent money in the FA market, I think they just wanted to feel heard and validated. They were frustrated and wanted someone to hear their grievances, just like us.

patfan1 and NFLPatriot repped this.
  13. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree - Wahl is well enough known to penetrate the readership outside of your "already in the know" category.

14. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You left out an important adjective in several places... :rolleyes:

15. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I love JDEsq. He is either idiotic, or genius. Either way, he is amazing.

JDEsq09 repped this.
  16. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had an acquaintance once.... he would always come back with something....There was no end. And it was not to advance the conversation, nor to offer contrasting relevant points. It was only to extend the conversation. He was not even conscious of why he did it. It might have been a yearning for acceptance. And, it was never long before the original central idea became distorted and then changed to make for a maze of conversational confusion. It was maddening. I liked him a lot, he was ours, but at times I wanted to slug him! :unsure:

Doublecard repped this.
  17. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    We should be so lucky as to get JDEsq09 and a bowl of poison hemlock in the same room. ;):p

RevsLiverpool and Kraft Out repped this.
  18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK ... topic please.

19. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. Ambition.

Still waiting for JDEsque to show his "go big or go home" ambition. Tick, tick, tick JD let's go make the intro, show us all how it's done!

20. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    One person wants me to stop, and another wants me to keep going. It's tough being JDE.

21. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never a good sign to talk in the third person. :)

RevsFanDan and Crooked repped this.
  22. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will also talk in 3rd person just so we're on the same page, RevsLiverpool yields to patfan1, so you can stop. But don't complain in the mods thread a year from now that no one listens to your, um, alternative views.

23. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait... so now you WANT people to join the boycott?

Totally confused at this point.

patfan1 repped this.
  24. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Actually, I think the mods have been doing a better job since then, and you guys have been good too. I don't mind being called an idiot or the Socrates/hemlock reference above.

Well, join the boycott if its going to be a meaningful boycott. If people are just going to do something insignificant that does raise any awareness, and doesn't change anything, then you're better off doing nothing at all.

That sort of goes to the request above about an introduction to an elite member of the media. That's not the way this change will occur. No one in Boston media will challenge Kraft, and some ranking from a top soccer journalist isn't enough sustained pressure to lead to change either.

25. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You keep saying this over and over again, but it doesn't seem to change anything. Maybe you're better off doing nothing at all?

rkane1226 and RevsLiverpool repped this.