Grant Wahl's 2013 Ambition Rankings

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Jan 3, 2013.

1. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Minutemanii said:
    I would also venture to say I've spent more money and shed more tears on this team than a lot of people who post on here and glibly say they want a re-brand. If this is in fact true, then I feel I have a right to say the name I invested in is partially mine, and I feel a sense of equity in this name and I know for sure that I do not want it messed with.​
    I'd venture to say you haven't.

2. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Do you understand what it means to be a fan, or even a human being? People like to vent, sports fans even more so like to vent. They feel validated having someone list to their gripes. That's what message boards like this are for, it's what talk radio is for, etc. I don't understand why you can't wrap your head around this basic concept. People care about this team and are going to complain because it makes them feel heard. I don't think anyone expects that their complaints are going to change the Krafts' view of this franchise, but in the end that's not really the point anyway.

RevsFanDan and patfan1 repped this.
  3. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    In what twisted world are these two things the same? Keep on spinning...

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks ... I was going to say the same.

5. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Really? One person says that he has shed more tears on this team than most of the people who post here, and the response contradicted that, which means, there are other people who have shed even more tears for this team.

6. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lost you right there...Ppft!! End..Finito...

And every time SOMEONE mentions what Garber "WILL DO" to Kraft, I think a puppy and kitten are thrown into a burlap bag with a badger and thrown into a river!

Garber is employed by MLS Single Entity which is OWNED by the OWNERS of MLS...Bob f-ing Kraft is one of the OWNERS of MLS...He's the one who GOT Don his JOB.

Ergo, "don garber" is a puny nothing making 2million+ a year working for Billionaire owners...Don Garber can't go to the bathroom without Kraft..Oh God, I hope you get the picture!

7. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Since I was the person who responded with "I'd venture to say you haven't," I think I'd have a better idea of what I was saying than you would. My post had nothing to do with the number of tears he's shed for this team, but more so the amount of money he's spent supporting it. Monty for example has spent tens of thousands of dollars following this team. I myself have travelled to several MLS Cups, playoff games, and various road trips.

Regardless, it was one sentence from Minutemanii and a one sentence response from me. In your world that constitutes a thread with "commenters debating which one has shed more tears for this team." I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, wouldn't you?

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yikes ... you don't generally think about it, but every once in a while you read a line like that ... and wow...

RevsFanDan repped this.
  9. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could be a part owner by now..!!

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha, and have you guys judging me! ;)

RevsFanDan repped this.
  11. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To digress a bit and too be fair... you are right, I know I've not spent as much as you nor Monty. Not even close. But I have spent more than some... that was my only point.... Ok, back to the latest point, nice attempt at spinning, JDEsq09

12. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The comment wasn't meant to slight you or boast about myself or anybody else, I just don't like when people claim that they're more invested in a team than someone else (even when they are). But like you said, back to the point: the troll JDEsq continues to change arguments, spin facts/quotes, and do whatever else it takes to get under people's skin. It's annoying to say the least.

RevsFanDan repped this.
  13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I do think TFC has tried to be ambitious, it's moves like today where it just seems like they're trying too damn hard.

8th coach, 7th season hasn't even started yet.

14. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough and normally I would not be so crass as to suggest I'm more invested in this team than someone else... But I do get rankled a bit by what I perceive to be whippersnappers just wanting to re-brand everything 'cause it's the thing to do. I find it about as annoying as teams having 5 different uniforms of random colors (the EPL is raising this to new heights). Ok, back to the troll. :thumbsup:

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's leave the name-calling out of this please.

16. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just have to go back to all this though..!!

MLS quashed TFC's Scandinavian Defender

Who is MLS? and why is he meddling in a team's affairs?
    You set a cap...then what are the "investors", then? Just Ponzi scheme fund filler for the original investors?

17. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Umm, that was my point. The bad publicity going to MLS HQ isn't going to mean a thing. Garber isn't going to do anything to Kraft. I'm not sure why I received the lashing on this.

18. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Ok, I'll concede that it was a bit of an exaggeration, but I didn't have the quote in front of me at the time either. I did laugh when I read it the first time though.

19. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    . . . and what about shedding more tears? You were also comparing yourself to "a lot of people who post on here," it wasn't that you just "spent more than some." It read as if you crowned yourself the King of Despair, or the top consumer of the Factory of Sadness. It was funny. I laughed. Let's move on, I don't want to keep "trolling" on this issue.

20. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Exactly my point. I had a laugh when I read Minutemanni's post as well. That's why I said "I'd venture to say you haven't." It wasn't to mean that I've suffered more than him or whatever, it was more of a "get real."

21. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    We thought JDEsq09 was Albanian. Now I think he may be a robot.

pwykes and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  22. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    An Albanian robot? :unsure:

23. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The goal is awareness of your team's woeful situation in context of the rest of the league. My hope would be a national source that doesn't care whether or not it gets it's patriots or revs access taken away, would highlight the poor stewardship in hopes that things eventually change.

Just keep the embarrassment in the lime light any way shape or form, it's bad for business.

ktsd, Crooked and pwykes repped this.
  24. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't call Don Garber a "puny nothing." He's been hired to run the company, and he seems to be doing a mostly OK job.

But, as you so colorfully point out, he, like all other sports commissioners, works for the owners.

RevsFanDan repped this.
  25. JDEsq09

JDEsq09 Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I disagree. This isn't like the shaming of KMart in the movie Bowling for Columbine for selling the bullets used in that shooting. The people who are apt to read Wahl's ambition rankings already know that the Revs FO sucks and Kraft is an absentee owner. The people who aren't ardent soccer fans won't be tuned in to read Wahl's list, and probably don't care about MLS or even the Revs' positioning within MLS as compared to the other teams.

So, Wahl basically wrote something that those who care already know, and those who don't know, don't really care.