GOP Failure Watch Part III

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D'uh, Depends.
    :p

bigredfutbol repped this.
  2. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I've often wondered if gay men filibuster themselves the same way all of us straight men filibuster ourselves. My guess is that he watches different videos when filibustering.

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's real.

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, it belongs on this thread because of this great line....

Rush Limbaugh and Michelle Malkin, who are to reasoned argument what salt is to a slug...​

Timothy Egan is a damn good writer. His history of the Dust Bowl is fantastic.

bigredfutbol and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah that was awesome, the article would have plenty good for that line only.

7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in Prince William County, VA. Our county government is run by an eight-member Board of Supervisors; 7 representing specific districts, and one at-large Chairman. One of the Board members, the newest member, represents the westernmost district, which is the fastest-growing part of the county and is dominated by upscale suburbanites. He's also a textbook Tea Party Republican.

Watching this grandstanding moron bring his playing-to-the-bleachers ideologically-correct TP act to the nuts-and-bolts world of local government has been...instructive. The latest anecdote? Four members of the Board were charged with coming up with their own 5-year budget plans, which would be considered along with the analysis by the County's Budget Office. The two Dems on the Board, plus the Republican Chairman presented budgets, as did our Tea Party friend from the gated communities north of I-66.

His proposed budget sticks out like a sore thumb. A long list of cuts to funding for various non-County agencies (all of them long-standing charities/social services working right here in the county, including but not limited to the homeless shelter). A proposal to have the school system give teachers--and only teachers--a 2% pay increase. A lower tax rate, of course. And, according the analysis, the end result would be a deficit much larger than any of the other three tax plans.

The immediate aftermath? The County Executive had to point out to him that his plan for teacher pay raises involves the County government directing the School system how to deal with personnel (I'm forgetting the proper wording, sorry), something which is explicitly prohibited by State law; he was only in the room who wasn't aware of that glaring technicality. And as for the less-than-encouraging analysis, his response was that he wants unnamed others to take another look at the numbers.

So--ideological grandstanding, indifference to local needs, gutting long-standing social welfare programs, ignorance of policy realities and the rules of governance, and an unwillingness to concede the validity of unfavorable facts and nonpartisan data. We talk about the damage the Tea Party is doing in Washington, but they're worming their way into local government as well.

YankHibee, DynamoEAR, Boloni86 and 2 others repped this.
  8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Tea Partiers love deficits like I love titties.

Good, thorough post, by the way. Prince William County? Ouch.

9. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The GOP has moved so far to the right as to render useless the MSM's normal approach of finding the middle ground between Republican and Democrat talking points.

Take the election polls. The MSM took the middle position; the reality was in fact to the left of the Dem position. Or take climate science. The reality is also to the left of the Dem position.

Or take the fiscal cliff discussions. Obama's offer is of $4 trillion overall in deficit reduction -- $2.4 trillion in cuts, $1.6 trillion in tax increases. The means a 3-2 ratio of cuts to tax increases, which is slightly to the right of where American people line up in the polls.

But the mainstream press doesn't say this, instead once again it presents the truth as lying somewhere in the middle between the two "extremes." But Obama is not presenting an extreme. If he were, then he would present the equivalent of the GOP offer, that is to say he would put forward only tax increases and little if any spending cuts.

11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, this is really starting to annoy me - even though I know better, this is the exact impression I get when I listen to local TV and radio news in the mornings on my way to work. They play almost exclusively republican congressfolk in their sound-bytes whining about a lack of spending cuts, mostly about those nebulous "entitlement cuts", and the media never seem to call bullshit on any of them.
    I might assume entitlement programs are USDA and Defense Dept programs, but I suspect they are not :D

12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's fair to call out Obama to be specific on the spending cuts, otherwise he might be pulling a bait and switch.

Otherwise, those congressmen can suck on eggs. The President's is a reasonable proposal and while the congressmen might live in a bubble where everybody acts and talks like them, in this country their views are a minority. They would do well to be more humble.

I don't like that term "entitlement." It's used in casual, nontechnical terms as meaning a feeling of deserving what one hasn't earned. People pay into Social Security and into Medicare. Using those services is a return on their investments.

13. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    IMHO, I always thought that is the reason why the word "entitlement" is being used. It makes it comfortable at being able to slash Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and a whole host of responsive programs that the government needs to address, whether they like it or not. Or deal with the repercussions later on down the road.

14. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is, most of those "repercussions later on down the road" are made-up nonsense. If there are any real problems, they are now hidden in ideological bullshit and how am I supposed to know the difference? So I apply the 'Boy Who Cried Wolf' logic on them and simply discount every single thing they say as pure nonsense. Likely only 90% of it is actually pure nonsense.

15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Oh yeah.. Now that you bring it up....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...40a4-11e2-ae43-cf491b837f7b_blog.html?hpid=z2

“I think we’re going over the cliff. It’s pretty clear to me they made a political calculation. This offer doesn’t remotely deal with entitlement reform in a way to save Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security from imminent bankruptcy. It raises $1.6 trillion on job creators that will destroy the economy and there are no spending controls.”
    — Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.), on CBS’s “Face the Nation,” Dec. 2, 2012

16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Nothing else you can do until they start trying harder.

Oh, and that's nonsense from Lindsey Graham. Let's hope it's posturing and that he doesn't actually believe that stuff.

17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Nonsense, posturing, beliefs... Who can tell them appart with the present state of the GOP?

crazypete13, chad and fatbastard repped this.
  18. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He doesn't and neither do the GOP who are in charge. But they don't want the GOP to be seen by the entire country as the ones saying that Social Security, Medicare, etc. need to be cut or "changed". They want Obama to say it.

19. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is far, far from the stupidest thing Lindsay Graham believes.

HouseHead78 repped this.
  20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  21. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Wait, why do we have private insurance then? And the Democrats are now forcing us to purchase it with no price controls? Shit makes no ********ing sense.

22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    ObamaCare couldn't have passed if it made sense.

crazypete13 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to Facebook, I'm all-too-aware of what many ordinary right-leaning Americans are reading, and where they are getting their information. And my hope that the last election would knock some sense into the right-leaning portion of the electorate is fading away to nothingness.

24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Admitting an error hurts. Better to avoid the pain.

25. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of people honestly believe the election was stolen.