GOP Failure Watch Part III

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Flyover country before the invention of the airplane...

bigredfutbol repped this.
  2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I used to know a history prof that did her research on the westward migration of white people by reading the diaries and journals of pioneer women. An amazing number of them made it across Iowa and Nebraska with the help of laudanum.

I see this as someone from west-central Illinois.... Most people find it monotonous to drive through those states... Now imagine that journey in a wagon making 4-5 MPH on good days...

But apparently, the women- folk would get up and get breakfast, do the cleaning, and the take a few hits to be zoned out until their services were needed at supper and camp-pitching.

3. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And to think, he's a member of the House Science Committee.

[​IMG]

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ah come on, Dems do the same thing.

dapip repped this.
  5. ToasterLeavins

Mar 25, 2003
    NJ USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/guamtip.asp

During a House committee meeting, Rep. Hank Johnson said he feared that stationing 8,000 Marines on Guam would cause the island to "become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize."

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No one is saying their aren't stupid Democrats. But Johnson isn't on the science committee advancing anti-science views.

And besides, dumb as the Guam tipping point is...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Johnson

In December 2009, Johnson revealed that he had been battling Hepatitis C (HCV) for over a decade, which resulted in slow speech and a tendency to regularly get "lost in thought in the middle of a discussion".[31] Johnson said that he learned he had the disease in 1998 but did not know how he contracted it. HCV-induced liver dysfunction often leads to Hepatic encephalopathy, a cause of confusion. ​

Dante repped this.
  7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ha, good point! Am assuming his illness has him thinking way, but maybe he is just Fruit Loops.

8. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy went to my high school. My English teacher brought him in to give a speech to our class, back when he was a speech writer for Reagan. So with the authority of having once seen this guy in person, I can confidently state that he's faking it when he says right wing stuff like this -- he doesn't believe it, but he says it to remain relevant in the Republican party.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ouch, that is a damning statement about the GOP indeed.

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Er... yeah! :cautious:

You don't think that might have been a joke, maybe?

11. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Didn't read the link, eh?

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was going to say... that makes it even worse.

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, I did... it says that 'only he knows what he meant'.

The more likely explanation is that he was kidding. If he genuinely thought an Island would tip over he wouldn't be able to perform simple daily functions such as feed or toilet himself, would he.

The thing that struck me about that film was that the Navy guy appeared to take the idea seriously. What's his excuse.

14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    That's seriously a weak attempt at stretching the hell out of the benefit of the doubt.

People ********ing believe all sorts of ascientific shit. They reside all over the political spectrum. What's worse is that many of them believe these things because they think it will win them or their team some political points. Politicians are particularly shitty at critical thinking when it comes to team.

People are that afraid of being held in contempt of Congress, I guess.

15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  16. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Jesus is not sweet, that is liberul propaganda.

He is comming soon, armed with an AR-15 to eradicate all liberuls.

[​IMG]

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he gets the nomination, I'm pretty sure he won't win. Like, 80% sure. He's barely leading for the primary against a leader in our state legislature, and the lege is extreeeemely unpopular, and Tillis has had a whiff of scandal around his resume.

19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    That's a funny-lookin' AR-15.

20. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a historical picture during his visit in the Old West, he's upgraded weapons since then :)

Timon19 and dapip repped this.
  21. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

22. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't matter. People will still parade him as being mainstream Republican regardless of his viability as a candidate, which I am glad seems to be poor.

23. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Much better.

24. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    @stanger:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3173717/

It's the inverse of the federal budget world these days, in which automatic spending cuts are leaving sought-after pet programs struggling or unpaid altogether. Republicans and Democrats for years have fought so bitterly that lawmaking in Washington ground to a near-halt.

Yet in the case of the Abrams tank, there's a bipartisan push to spend an extra $436 million on a weapon the experts explicitly say is not needed.

/quote

It is old news but wanted you to know.

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you read that article? I'm fairly confident that Hagan and, ahem, non-coordinated outside spending will get Brannon's lowlights from his talk radio days into the public consciousness.

Also, NC elects their governor the same year as the POTUS, so their Senate candidate will have the statewide stage all to himself. He's so batshit crazy that the people who don't want the GOPs to lose power in the state legislature might cut him loose, rather than have him be the acknowledged standard bearer for the whole Republican slate.