GOP Failure Watch Part III

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

bigredfutbol repped this.
  2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    a. It did not happen, at least not in America, supposedly.
    b. Most (all?) of the people hugging are most likey liberul anticreationist conspiracyist (most likely) pretending that they accomplished something in other planet to then teach it to our children, against our forefathers wisdom.

3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's an argument to be made that the transcontinental RR wasn't really needed at the time. Economically, anyway. As a symbol of nation-building, that might be a different thing.

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    bigredfutbol repped this.
  5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ah that was only me posting, for the most part. It ended up being the You Other BS Posters are Such Wankers thread.

dapip and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I for one was grateful for you reading David Brooks so I didn't have to.

7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    dapip repped this.
  8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I almost went down that line but decided on the high road. I'm happy that somebody took the low road, though.

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's a slightly different thing, isn't it. There's a difference between something designed to benefit a significant part of the population, (road and other infrastructure building), and VERY high-tech, niche, scientific projects designed to impress people abroad and those that take an interest among the local population.

Road and infrastructure projects can employ HUGE numbers of people, including those with only limited skills, and can benefit hundreds of thousands of people, making goods cheaper to come to market, allowing people to move more easily for employment, etc. etc.

We have a number of similar projects over here currently either under consideration or actually being built, including High Speed Train travel, Energy production and several others, some of which have already been built.

To be clear, I'm not saying that you're NOT doing similar things over there... you obviously are. I'm saying that there are few arguments AGAINST them.

If you look at how life is in the third world, a major difference between us and them is the level of infrastructure and investment that HAS been made and CONTINUES to be made in developed countries. It's THAT that makes our lives better and the money we have, and continue, to invest in it, isn't a 'waste'.

10. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Well there is that, but the truth of the matter is most of the wealth that produced those funds for investment originally came from resources of thirld world countries.

One of the big differences is we take their shit and they can't take ours. If they don't let our corps do it, we do it by force of arms. We learned it from you guys and took it to a whole new level.

sorry off topic rant over//

11. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Well the other thing about the transcontinental railroad is that the government gave the land (and not just the narrow little strip the tracks were on) to the railroads. That certainly provided some incentive. And the (essentially) slave labor brought over from China kept the costs down. Duplicate all that and we might be able to make such a grand project work in the 21st century.

12. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a large group of billionaires who have pledged to give away at least half of their wealth by the time they die. If we could convince more billionaires to take a loss on their wealth in the name of public goods, we wouldn't need government concessions or slave labor. Right now, the top 100 American billionaires could build a rail transit network between the busiest urban corridors in the country and still be comfortable enough to maintain the same standard of living.

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    National high-speed rail. Sure.

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get inheritance tax to 50%, problem solved.

HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5741 bigredfutbol, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    As far as 'nation-building', you need to look at the push for the transcontinental RR in the context of:

1) the rapid settlement of California and the Far West, way across the continent from the Eastern centers of political, economic, and fiscal power; with hundreds of miles of sparsely populated and undeveloped prairie & mountains between the former and the latter; and

2) sectionalism (the North, the West, and the South); also

3) Not a coincidence that after years of talking, planning, arguing, and politicking, it finally got the go-ahead in the middle of a civil war.

The above is more-or-less what I was getting at.

Economically, it can be argued that at the time it really didn't do much good or fill a pressing need. It might have been better off to spend the money developing and improving regional rail networks out West. Commerce between the Far West and the East was still largely carried out by water for years to come.

dapip repped this.
  16. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nah. They would use the money to build more pointless highways in West Virginia.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure about 1% of it would be wasted on Pork; another 90% would go to build bombs to drop on 3rd world countries, or tanks that the Army does not want.

Maybe it is the optimist in me that thinks maybe a little bit of it would trickle down to Pre-K programs and such.

y-lee-coyote and stanger repped this.
  18. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Psst... @stanger...

You want to cut some pork? I mean, some really big, useless, expensive pork?

Start here.

19. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you take your hard-on for Robert Byrd somewhere else, please?

20. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. It's also why I started the waste at the Pentagon thread.

I can only rail on one form of waste at a time? You should go back to posting pictures.

21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You should at least focus on bigger slices. Speaking of pictures:

[​IMG]
    However you chose to focus on the smaller slices of the pie, despite evidence showing you that in the big scheme of things, those are minor expenditures, not to mention that they contribute more than military projects to the economy. As I showed you in the thread that you mentioned, the biggest waste is found in the military and social programs are very efficient even if you have ocassional fraud. Same thing applies to your perception of voter fraud.

And I'm totally siding with Brummie in this one: Despite factual evidence you have decided to go after the outlier and less significant events, which is in its own way, a waste of resources.

American Brummie repped this.
  22. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If by "going after an outlier" you mean mentioning it on a soccer message board, guilty as charged.

Secondly, responding to you and American D*ckhead are certainly a waste of resources. I have eliminated the American D*ckhead portion of the waste and you could be next. Not that you care.

23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Can't help thinking that was the biggest part of it, tbh. Without the constant pointless arguments, almost ANY decision is better than none.

It's like Galbraith said about spending in America... if you stick the word 'military' in front of it, you can have limitless amounts of money. So spending on education to improve the fact that recruits can't read or write becomes 'military education'... how much money do you want??? :rolleyes:

24. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, it had a lot to do with the Republicans holding both houses of Congress and the White House, courtesy of so many Democrat-majority states opting not to participate in the Federal Government in 1862.