GOP Failure Watch Part III

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    @naughtius: I guess is both greek and br.

Fresh from my newsfeed.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...-debt-default-turn-the-us-into-greece/280499/

We need the perfect crazy idea to defuse the debt ceiling, once and for all. Something that hits the Goldilocks of crazy: not so much that the White House would never try it, but just enough that they wouldn't try it unless the alternative was default.

In other words, we need banana republic bonds.

What's the most fiscally irresponsible country you can think of? It's Greece, right? Yeah, it's Greece. Its cooked budget books, bailouts, and debt restructuring have made it a banana republic minus the actual bananas. Now, Republicans keep predicting that we'll turn into Greece any of one of these days, just keep waiting for it. And they're wrong. But we might need to turn into Greece, at least a little, to avoid defaulting on the debt if we don't lift the debt ceiling. It goes back to the budget chicanery bit.

2. shinpath

shinpath Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Shanghai, PR China
    Club:
    --other--
    Notice it is in the same sentence as 'I oppose him politically...' - Probably if I met over a beer I would try to debate him. But if he let out a racist or offensive ethnic chant at a game I would call him out. I'm (technically) a Mexican-American USMNT supporter. I've sent the pic to Grant Wahl, Goff, Archer, and some other columnists in hopes they will mention it.

3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If by Archer you mean Bill Archer... That could very well be him.

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #4429 Auriaprottu, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2014
    Thankfully, I've learned to avoid my enemies, especially in settings that involve alcohol. It does the planet no good for me to score points in a private, cordial debate over beer unless he's going to change his way of being in the world. He isn't going to do that.

Call him out for what? Being himself? If you've already debated him and he didn't come around at that time, a racist chant would be consistent with who he is.

So where'd you sit at the 2002 WCQ against Honduras- with the real Americans or with the Latino-surnamed people?

Won't happen.

\. Even in protesting the darky president, he's in the frame almost all by himself. Archer has a following, or did before the crash took away the peckerwood forum that was connected to his username. FWIW, I don't really think he's as bad as his fellators, but he never did anything to get them to consider a leftward move.

5. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone posted this on Facebook and while it comes from an avowedly progressive website, I think this does a pretty good job of pointing out what a fail the latest wingut "march" was and why it is a microcosm with all that's wrong with this government shutdown:

http://www.nationalmemo.com/million...onfederate-flag-waving-embarrassment-for-gop/

"On Sunday, right-wing leaders and Tea Party supporters descended on Washington, D.C. for the “Million Vets March On The Memorials,” a protest designed to pressure the Obama administration to reopen the war memorials closed as a result of the government shutdown. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the event quickly descended into a confederate flag-waving embarrassment for the Republican Party.

To many on the right, the protest was supposed to be a major turning point in the battle over the government shutdown...

Needless to say, that’s not what happened. As Daily Kos documents, the rally’s organizers fell more than 999,000 short of their goal of attracting one million protesters. And those who did show up were not exactly helpful to the Republican cause.
    "

The event organizers, to their credit, aren't happy:

http://1mvetmarch.wordpress.com/

UPDATED: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:35 PM EST – The political agenda put forth by a local organizer in Washington DC was not in alignment with our message. We feel disheartened that some would seek to hijack the narrative for political gain. The core principle is about all Americans honoring Veterans in a peaceful and apolitical manner. Mr. Cruz, Ms. Palin and some attendees, including political parties may have not been aware of the goals of the marches which took place in over 60+ rallies across the nation.

Ouch. Just like the shutdown, a small cadre of repugnant extremist dumbasses ruins it for everyone as if the surreality that we have conservatives protesting a shutdown that their own party inflicted on the rest of us wasn't enough.

Another non-event showed that, just like their leaders in the House, ordinary teabaggers are also divorced from reality. The latest example was the picture of trucks at a Make-A-Wish fundraiser back in May that had some teabaggers salivating over how they were gonna shut DC down. An example is this poignant website:

http://dcclothesline.com/2013/10/11/love-smell-diesel-morning-smell-liberty-roll-truckers/

The excitement from these guys is palpable as they try to grasp any straw that seems to deny what the polls say about the low opinion the vast majority of Americans have of them. As usual, though, the reality was much like that of the Million Vets march:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...266-11e3-89ae-16e186e117d8_story.html?hpid=z3

[​IMG]

6. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Auriaprottu repped this.
  7. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    It also dried up well after the crash in '02 - I remember it being active-ish (though likely a shadow of it's former self) when I joined. Edit: the last few posts date from 09-10

8. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Auriaprottu and American Brummie repped this.
  9. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted on "Obama's destroying the nation." I just wanna see where it turns up.

10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    "No fear. Karl Rove's going back to the Fox war room to show everyone the REAL numbers. Romney's got this by 8 pts. Economy's still in the toilet. Rove's never wrong....oh no, he looks worried. Obama by 5?? AAARGH!" front kicks flat screen.

11. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump. The GOP is breaking new ground in the failure department. Very curious to read some of the comments after the House votes, assuming enough R's vote with the Dems to pass this bill. Good God, the Republican Party is a mess.

I expect to see more columns such as this one:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...otham-theory-of-the-republican-party/?hpid=z1

What we're seeing is the next front in the so-called civil war for the heart of the Republican Party. The so-called establishment, of course, hasn't shown up for the war, thus far, assentially capitutaling to the TPers. And, of course, there aren't all that many moderates remaining at all in the Senate or House. Not enough to fight and win a battle within their own caucus. But a handful of them can cross party lines and avert crisis. Damn, this is going to be a true political shitstorm on the right. What amazing political theater. If only it wasn't ********ing over the country as a byproduct.

GiuseppeSignori repped this.
  12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Interesting theory. Rather reminiscent, (to some of us), of Marxist/Trotskyist theory of allowing capitalism to destroy itself in it's own excesses. Sure, the proletariat will suffer in the short term but when we establish the parties version of a worker's paradise, they'll thank us.

Er.... no, they won't actually coz it won't happen. At least, not in that way.

13. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm sending Boehner a T-Shirt that says: "I shut down the Gubmint and all I got was disgruntled staff members"

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I liked this part...

The problem with the “Gotham Theory”? One man’s low point is another man’s high point. (See Cruz, Ted.) As in, there is a real chunk of Republicans — both in and out of Congress — who view the events of the last few weeks as a step in the right direction, not the wrong one. They don’t view it as the party moving closer to bottoming out but rather toward a return to principle, which, they believe, is the ultimate path back to the presidency. That means that a reckoning might well not come until 2016 when it looks like a near-certainty that the establishment (Chris Christie, Marco Rubio, Jeb Bush) and the tea party wing (Cruz, Rand Paul) will battle for control of the party. If the tea party wing wins and fails to re-claim the White House — and especially if they come nowhere close — then the “Gotham Theory” might be in full effect.​

Principles in which the principles of macroeconomics don't seem to play a role.

15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Damn, that was a beatdown. Obama was Reagan and the GOP was the air-traffic controllers.

American Brummie repped this.
  16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The Wall Street Journal editorial board, natch, is beside itself. This despairathon is pretty funny. Can't blame the writer, I suppose. Just one month ago, Obama was struggling with Syria and his poll ratings were dropping. Now look at him, an effing hero he is to America for standing up to the Tea Party.

Ted Cruz is the Dems' Manchurian Candidate.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304864504579139371748288010

17. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they still don't get it...

http://news.yahoo.com/republicans-concede-defeat--but-some-say-it-was-worth-it-221214587.html

I particularly like this piece of irony:

"But Rep. Justin Amash, a libertarian-leaning Republican from Michigan, pointed to one part of the exercise he saw as a victory: that it made President Barack Obama appear unreasonable.

“It proved to everyone that the president is completely unwilling to negotiate,” Amash said. “I think it really exposed the president as a man unwilling to compromise under any circumstances.”

Look and learn TPfish - THAT is irony.

At least there's still hope in some places:

http://news.yahoo.com/ted-cruzs-hom...endorsement-143820238--abc-news-politics.html

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Offer nothing, get nothing.

19. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    AKA "Hate the N#gger-in-Chief" theory. It's been all the rage in rural parts of 'Murica for at least 4 yrs now.

20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Oh boy... This guy thinks that we don't have memory or.... youtube...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...are-repeal_n_4109712.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

21. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    #4446 HerthaBerwyn, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  22. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BusinessWeek thinks the teabaggers actually won:

http://www.businessweek.com/article...nding-comes-at-high-price?campaign_id=yhoo#p3

It's the American people who lost. Thanks, teabaggers!

To me one of the telling points was this:

"The federal government really does need to tighten its belt eventually, but not with the scale and immediacy the Tea Party insists on. Tea Partiers are in no mood for nuance."

Because teabaggers have no clue about macroeconomics and they're the Right's version of dorm room bullshit anarchists, they don't know that there's a time to tighten and a time to spend. They don't know that after the guy you've supported for 7 years while he ran up a huge deficit puts the economy in free fall, you're still stuck spending since the private sector collapsed of its own imbalances and failure to police itself and is incapable of bootstrapping itself. So you jump start it with public spending. AFTER the general economy is back up and running, THEN you can tighten. But they don't know that. Oh, and they're willing to sacrifice the whole economy - including Americans' jobs, homes and retirements - in order to deny the poor and middle class access to health care.

The Tea Party: We love "America", it's those pesky Americans we can't stand!

bigredfutbol repped this.
  23. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000